Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: What does your suppressed huntimg rifle weigh?

What does your suppressed huntimg rifle weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Over 6lbs in 308 or 6.5cm. only the mini action 223, 6.5grendel, 7.62x39 is 4 lb 7 Oz
    Nah, that’s the carbon stalker.

The super light is 4lb 7oz in .308 or 6.5cm.

https://www.legacysports.com/super-lite/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Nah, that’s the carbon stalker.

The super light is 4lb 7oz in .308 or 6.5cm.

https://www.legacysports.com/super-lite/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thats mighty impressive, my 15" Model 7 in the ultralight Wildcat stock weighs 4 pounds 11 oz bare (2144 grams) To get a factory rifle with a 20" barrel weighing less than that is very impressive indeed.
    Tuidog and Bill999 like this.

the suppressor should be glued in place...I can see a few coming up forsale, 2nd hand very fast and more "I am developing a flinch" threads happening if there are .308s being run with hornady superpreformance factory load or handloads getting up there in powder charge, in a rifle under 5lb
    Last edited by Micky Duck; 06-04-2022 at 03:11 AM.
    veitnamcam, Bill999, GWH and 1 others like this.

Time will tell on those weights, seams too light, maybe that with the bolt left out,
    I've just weight my 18" Barrett fieldcraft 6.5, fitted with tally ultra lights and a Leopold 2x7 x33 VX freedom scope, 5.15 oz, My Kimber .260 is lighter, 5lbs.3oz scoped but the Barrett is a way nicer, better balanced rifle and the freedom, a much better scope than the Leopold ultralight.

Too light, too hard to shoot consistently, that's my experience, around that 6.5- 7lb mark is the sweat spot.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Thats mighty impressive, my 15" Model 7 in the ultralight Wildcat stock weighs 4 pounds 11 oz bare (2144 grams) To get a factory rifle with a 20" barrel weighing less than that is very impressive indeed.
    GWH how's that wildcat, holding up to kiwi conditions, how long you had it, I am going to order a couple, for my M70 7x57, and . 358 build
    I've got a manners ultra light, on my .260 and have had the sling studs, pull out twice now, bit weary of the ultra light stocks, weight has to be saved some place,
    The wildcat looks better and cheaper, and support local Alberta business, he is 5 hours away from me.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    GWH how's that wildcat, holding up to kiwi conditions, how long you had it, I am going to order a couple, for my M70 7x57, and . 358 build
    I've got a manners ultra light, on my .260 and have had the sling studs, pull out twice now, bit weary of the ultra light stocks, weight has to be saved some place,
    The wildcat looks better and cheaper, and support local Alberta business, he is 5 hours away from me.
    Hey, i'll PM you

GWH
    Time will tell on those weights, seams too light, maybe that with the bolt left out,
    I've just weight my 18" Barrett fieldcraft 6.5, fitted with tally ultra lights and a Leopold 2x7 x33 VX freedom scope, 5.15 oz, My Kimber .260 is lighter, 5lbs.3oz scoped but the Barrett is a way nicer, better balanced rifle and the freedom, a much better scope than the Leopold ultralight.

Too light, too hard to shoot consistently, that's my experience, around that 6.5- 7lb mark is the sweat spot.
    Yes agree, a super light rifle sure tests your shooting technique thats for sure, especially so as the cartridge size and projectile weight start increasing, i remember when i first put my M7 7Saum on a diet and it lost 2 pounds, felt recoil certainly increased with the same load.

There is always a tradeoff eh. Theres a reason that target rifles are heavy. When walk-in hunting, especially in most of our mountainous public land i certainly much prefer carring a nice light rifle, generally we carry them far more than we shoot them eh, you just need to be able to get off that one shot and have it find its mark.

A light rifle will certainly show up any errors with your shooting technique where a heavier rifle may not, recoil control etc.

yep I had to add a bit of suppressor to my 12 inch kimber 300blk to make it quicker/surer for standing snap shots
    anything is good off the bipod but I was waving around a bit much with the Oceania defence 190gram titanum suppressor so I went to a massive muzzle forward dpt and just started adding baffles and got carried away but I like the result so it has stayed
    better for sound reduction on that first shot too which is all I really use
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Nick View Post
    Heaviest mini action ever made: BSA Hunter action, Sako takeoff .243 barrel chambered in 6x45, VX3i 2.5-8, custom 8” long gunworks can and home made fibreglass stock. 3.6kg.

So much excess metal in those actions. Especially for the cartridge size!

Attachment 193845
    Edit: actually weighed the old girl, and she come out at 3.435 kg sling on, fuelled up ready to roll. 7.6lb which is actually not too bad I reckon. Just enough weight to shoot nicely but not too taxing to carry.
    Micky Duck likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    yep I had to add a bit of suppressor to my 12 inch kimber 300blk to make it quicker/surer for standing snap shots
    anything is good off the bipod but I was waving around a bit much with the Oceania defence 190gram titanum suppressor so I went to a massive muzzle forward dpt and just started adding baffles and got carried away but I like the result so it has stayed
    better for sound reduction on that first shot too which is all I really use
    Yeah its amazing what a difference adding 2 extra baffles makes to felt recoil and noise, when i took 2 pounds out of my m7 Saum (its under 5.5lbs bare) even with the DPT magnum with the standard 4 baffles (which i always have fitted for a LR prone shot) i found the recoil pretty stiff. I added another 2 baffles and it made a huge difference, its a pussy to shoot now, 2 extra baffles dont weigh very much, and you get the added bonus of even less noise. Suppressor always stays in my pack until i reach my vantage points or about to make a LR shot, i have it zeroed with the suppressor fitted, and have tested POI with the suppressor off for the shorter range shots made while walking in or bush stalking, both with an open muzzle.

It's not what Tommy's rifle weighs, it's what Tommy weighs hahahahahaha
    GWH, Gibo and 20 Bore like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

GWH
    I found this interesting.

Just looking at what rifle to take on a couple of night fly camp roar hunt in ruahine bush country.

I took the 17" T3 284 on Sunday for a recce with a mate thats new to hunting and shooting.

He ended up shooting his first deer with it at 250 yards on a clearing as we were heading into the area we wanted to check out travel routes etc. Then a couple of hours later he messed up a stag i roared into 20 yards in the bush, he thought he had the saftey off but didnt, deer ended up gapping it with no shot fired.

Im taking him back this weekend. So as not to confuse things ill take the same gun so he has some familiarity.

I had thought about taking an older Rem model 7 in 243, rebarreled with a trueflight finished at 18"

Anyway, i just weighed them both (without suppressors fitted)

Quite an interesting result considering the weaver Superslam on the T3 284 weighs 50% more than the 4-12x40 vortex on the M7.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    What you got there @Gibo ?

I'm brainstorming at the moment how to get something nice and light, possibly a Howa carbon barreled action sent off to Hi Tec for a carbon stock?

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    What you got there @Gibo ?

I'm brainstorming at the moment how to get something nice and light, possibly a Howa carbon barreled action sent off to Hi Tec for a carbon stock?
    I dont know what the pricing is, but i'd just buy one of these, https://www.legacysports.com/super-lite/

or a Kimber Hunter and remove the Gel from inside the stock. These two would have to be the easiest and likely the cheapest way to get a super light rifle.

allright allright stop your nagging I will weight the 223 AGAIN...its getting dizzy as put it back in lightweight stock today...ANOTHER rifle to recheck zero on.

zastava .223
    huckery pauliwinna bit of wood (257weatherby says "you cant call that a stock")
    leupold fixed 4x...just cause it hadnt been on the wee rifle yet.
    spartan suppressor
    3070grms
    Last edited by Micky Duck; 06-04-2022 at 07:11 PM.