Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What scope for bush through to 500yd bunny's?

LJP
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    What about a 2.5-10x32 nightforce
    Yip thought about one of those. Probably a great choice but I wonder if 10x is enough power to spot small game & get a good aiming point. Pretty compact scope but starting to get heavy. The swaro Z3 looks like not a bad choice. So many choices - probably come done to the best deal I can get a scope.

The Premier Light Tac is a very nice scope which meets your mag range requirements.

Although, while it's not very heavy (compared to NF, S&B etc) its still quite a large scope.

Ive come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as the perfect "all-rounder" scope

Premier Tactical vs. Light Tactical - YouTube

light is still 720gr on that but the tactical is plenty heavier...... But interesting with plenty of options available
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

How do you guys with the Z5 find the reticle ? I've thought the gap between posts was a bit wide and the crosshairs too fine for in the dark bush.

I'm a bit concerned about the durablity. Swaro don't advertise it as a strong point but Leupold do.

ps:I've been waiting for this to come on the market Schmidt Bender PMII 3-20x50 L/P H2CMR MRAD Locking MTC CCW - EuroOptic.com A little on the heavy side but it would surely do it all ...

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Weaver Superslam 3-15x42sf.

Kinda does it all and at a reasonable price, but as with any one size fits all solution, its not going to be a perfect fit for everyone.

kj
    Hi Kimjon, nice to see you posting here. How have you found the Weaver in the bush, or is it mostly a long range gun and the low range is just in case ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    How do you guys with the Z5 find the reticle ? I've thought the gap between posts was a bit wide and the crosshairs too fine for in the dark bush.

I'm a bit concerned about the durablity. Swaro don't advertise it as a strong point but Leupold do.

ps:I've been waiting for this to come on the market Schmidt Bender PMII 3-20x50 L/P H2CMR MRAD Locking MTC CCW - EuroOptic.com A little on the heavy side but it would surely do it all ...
    32oz its got some heft al right, personally I dont see the atraction,its to heavy and bulky to be a versitle scope,its definatly high end for long range but then the low power is of little real value. Which reticle on the Z5 where you looking at? I have the 4w and its ok but the whole scope is a compromise which is the price you pay for a having an allrounder at a svelt 16oz.. Im not aware of any durabilty issues with swaro anymore than any other, have seen a few failed leupolds.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    ... Which reticle on the Z5 where you looking at? I have the 4w and its ok but the whole scope is a compromise which is the price you pay for a having an allrounder at a svelt 16oz.. ...
    It was a #4 type of some sort that I didn't like. I thought maybe the plex would be a bit more friendly. I agree, the scope somehow should match the style of rifle, not get carried away by numbers.

Did you get the ballistic turret ? If so, do you miss being able to dial for wind or is that just not what that gun is for ?

Yes has the balistic turret and a custom cap may be in future, the 4w ret has 2moa hash marks on the horizontal for holding windage and you can still remove the cap and dial. The balistic turret is reliable but it lacks feel. Its on a 243ai and Iv used it to 600+ a few times now and have given it a good work out over a grid, its reliable and repeatable so IMHO suits a hunting rifle that you dial a bit far more than a dedicated LR situation.

The Z5 BT seems to be pitched at hunters who may occasionally want to shoot out to 500, lot of money to be limited to 13Moa of elevation. I'm leaning towards the weaver.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

looked at the vortex viper HS line?

I want one of these for my short range gun (out to 500ish on game)

SWFA SS 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

Hummed and hatred about getting in on a group buy for one, waited too long and now regretting it. They come up once a year though.

Chria

or this but its twice the price

1-10x26 IOR ffp, 35 mils adjustment, zero reset etc

Chris

LJP
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Certainly given me plenty to think about. Its a great place to get some ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Konev View Post
    looked at the vortex viper HS line?
    Yes I had a 4-16x50 HS for a short time but the reticle was just to fine. Good scope and good value I thought but far better varmint scope than general hunting.

im going to go 3-18 vx6 when i get the coin