Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By shift14
  • 3 Post By Savage1

Thread: Whats the best Gun cases?

Whats the best Gun cases?

Ive been looking at Plano and Pelican but what's everyone's suggestion's? I ideally want to fit two rifles into the case and some of its accessories like Foregrip, mags, bipod ect.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Cheers

Depends what you want of the case. If it's to strap to the landing gear of a Cessna you cannot go past a top of the line Pelican, with all its bells and whistles, breather valve etc. But they are sooo heavy for normal use.
    I have the longest Pelican available (with wheels) but hardly ever use it. It is OK for airlines. I also have a Flambeau (spelling) which will take two scoped rifles, just. With two in it is mighty heavy. I usually only carry one in it. It cost a fraction the price of the Pelican and provides reasonable side protection only but obviously not anywhere near the Pelican. Both are lockable. The rest of the time I carry using the best gun bag I could buy.
    When I replaced my last car I actually went around with a tape measure to make sure the Pelican would fit across the back seat. It put the Ford Ranger on the short list but dropped off a few others ha ha.
    So it depend upon your intended use - if it is to protect from the baggage handlers whilst flying well........

Pelican 1750 should fit two weapons and accessories, great for air travel.
    Plano for vehicles
    Lotsa heli operators will only accept soft bags

B
    BRADS likes this.

For travelling, I love my Plano, holds 2 x scoped rifles. Protects my valuable kit.

For to/from range I cheated and use a double rifle bag which holds AR and all the bits on one side, normal rifle on the other.
    NC Star Discreet Double Rifle Case 49" - Black - Outpost 43 Paintball

Awesome thanks for the advice guys, it'll be used for travel and going to the range ect, I might invest in a hard case and a soft case for hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToolPro Safe Case - 1135 x 420 x 155mm - Supercheap Auto New Zealand

These are well priced, they're a pelican knockoff I think and are bloody solid.
    gadgetman, 308 and 10-Ring like this.

Ibought a Plano case and it looks and feels like a cheap piece of recycle shit

Quote Originally Posted by keneff View Post
    Ibought a Plano case and it looks and feels like a cheap piece of recycle shit
    All cases like the plano and flambeau feel like recycle coke bottles to me, pelican case seemed capable but i didn't expect to use it enough to justify the price. Got a decent soft bag, most of which I have seen are also fairly unimpressive in protection. My bushbuck seems to be the best by far with thick padding

My experience echoes others, the Pelican is best in class IMO, in saying that my 1750s are big heavy huas'.
    Rubber Monkey were the best price that I found when shopping round, that was a while back though.
    Pelican & Hard Cases - RubberMonkey.co.nz New Zealand

Yeah there is a balance of protection, and weight, esp if you're flying with your case and guns and equipment on a regular basis.

Ejected
    If you are doing a fly in trip why would you waste your valuable weight allowance on a hard or soft rifle case? I have this optimised so what I do is:
    Put a neoprene scope cover over the scope, I put this on in rain or while walking long distance as well, highly recommended.
    Wrap a layer of bubble wrap over the scope.
    Then another layer of bubble wrap over the receiver and scope.
    Then I wrap my jacket around the whole thing and tie it up.

This way it's better protected than a soft case (which normally offer 5mm padding at best) and you are not taking anything extra other than the bubble wrap which is mostly air anyway.

I travel with multiple firearms and equipment regularly, hence the need for a solid, protective case. Just protecting my investment on the firearm and bits.

Yes, flying commercially for travel verses flying in for a hunt are two quite different requirements.
    Shift summed up the general options perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by shift14 View Post
    Pelican 1750 should fit two weapons and accessories, great for air travel.
    Plano for vehicles
    Lotsa heli operators will only accept soft bags

B