Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: What's considered "lightweight "

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    @Stocky, here ya go

Attachment 136483

Not sure why around 1.5 MOA would "erk" you, unless you are shooting flies ? In my book that is well within minute-of-deer/goat
    I like it mate. And I know it doesn't matter realistically but I've got that type of mindset. Plus sounds like youve been shooting long enough you completely trust yourself whereas I want my rifle to do every bit it can to minimise any tolerance stacking. I know it's mostly in my head but I can't help but think it matters when shooting at 500ish if it's needed. I'm not bagging the idea I rate it highly and its something I would probably try if I had your skill and equipment.

I've had a couple of light weight rifles a Forbes.260 very nice to carry and great as a straight out hunting rifle and years ago a Kimber Montana .260 which I hated the safety on.
    But I wanted a more of an all-round rifle so I brought a Tikka.260 with a bit more weight fitted with a DPT and VX5 it was around 3.5kg I think, now I have a Sako Finlight 2 in Creedmoor with DPT and VX5 it's just on 4kg so not light but man it shoots. I would love it to be lighter.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

For me around 3.5kg is a sweet spot, not to heavy to lug about and not to light that is dances about when shooting. I can certainly understand the desire for a going under 3kgs for those guys who do long as trips in the back country.
    Got-ya and Stocky like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

My tikka is like 3.6 kegs with vx5, suppressor and bits. By the time I throw a stock pack on, forward rail for the bipod and a sling carry weight is 4kg, still sweet but I find myself slinging it more often. I would consider this a typical or average weight for a hunting rifle in the modern era.

My kimber hunter is now 2.8kg with a full mag, suppressor and little 6 power vx3. Was like almost 400 grams of sound deadening goop in the stock which I pulled out. That's with my overbarrel can, will be almost 100g lighter again if I run my muzzle forward dpt

Pretty good economical option for a very lightweight gun. Everything was purchased second hand bar the suppressor (which I allready had from the ar). Even factoring the new price of the can the whole thing owes me less than $2k. Bloody good for a proper ultralight rifle still capable out to 400 or so.

Scope choice is equally important if you want a lightweight rig. Easy to add 750g - 1kg with a heavy scope rail and ring setup.

The kimber feels like a toy in hand. Pretty lively recoil though, even being a 6.5 creed shooting 130's. Would be pretty close to the 284 tikka with 162's in terms of felt recoil.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    mikee, nickbop and SGR like this.