Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: White latte drinker wants new rifle - Sauer or Tikka?

Quote Originally Posted by StagDown View Post
    Was having this discussion with a friend last night who is looking for a new hunting rifle. He has come from a Howa
    now he was thinking about a tikka because they are popular, I suggested a new Sauer 100xt Cerakoted, both rifles are pretty similar I think but tikkas are so common so I thought something different would be cool for a change. Anyway, now he cant decide so i thought I would try get some other opinions for him - he has a budget of about 2K for rifle + scope.

Are there any obvious flaws or differences between the two - I get this is a flogged subject but when you havent a lot of cash you want to do it right, plus it's fun to talk about and get everyones opinions.

I wont get started on caliber yet haha because that comes next, but he was thinking 6.5x55, .260 or something similar, to be suppressed eventually (previously he was using 7mm08).

Fire away your opinions people - make sure they are heavily influenced by your own experience and not bias at all as usual (joking haaha )

Cheers
    I know of two 6.5 tikka's in 6.5x55 for sale on the forum.
    Both laminated and one has a can and both low round count and very tidy.
    PM me for their forum names if interested
    I asked for one for a friend and ended up with one for sale in my home town so was way easier to buy that one.
    You won't go wrong with the 6.5 tikka!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I have a Tikka in 260 and would certainly buy another.
    Good thing about the Tikka is there are lots of after market options when it comes to stocks etc

Saying that, I wouldn't recommend 260 unless he reloads as 260 ammo can be a bit hard to find and very expensive when you do find it.
    On the contrary 6.5x55 is very common.
    The Tikka T3x Stainless Lite also comes chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor now with a 24.2" barrel. Plenty of ammo available at the bigger gun stores. $1499. Bought one in February this year and I'm amazed at it's accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    The Tikka T3x Stainless Lite also comes chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor now with a 24.2" barrel. Plenty of ammo available at the bigger gun stores. $1499. Bought one in February this year and I'm amazed at it's accuracy.
    The thing with the 6.5 Creedmoor (and please correct me if im wrong) but from my understanding it really requires the longer (24in) barrel? Personally I find that a bit much for hunting (in the bush or even walking through bush to get to the tops), I think with the 6.5x55 you dont suffer accuracy as much with a shorter barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    What's with this white supremacist racist title aye? I am an equal opportunity latte drinker so give black latte's a fair go ........... oh hang on milk is white and latte's are mostly milk. Bugger!
    You probably drink it in a giant "bowl" as well right?

Keep in mind the Sauer is cerakoted, but is not stainless. So if it gets any scratches it will/can rust. The bore interior is what I would be more concerned about though. That's not going to be cerakoted so will be much more susceptible to rust. Especially if in the bush for a few days, and you don't want to keep oil in your bore because it will throw your shot off.

In regards to 6.5cm velocity - there is very little difference between a 22 - 24" barrel. Only about 50fps.

If anyone wants a finnlight 2 in 6.5x55 - just have your local store order it for you
    Last edited by ChrisW; 30-07-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    The thing with the 6.5 Creedmoor (and please correct me if im wrong) but from my understanding it really requires the longer (24in) barrel? Personally I find that a bit much for hunting (in the bush or even walking through bush to get to the tops), I think with the 6.5x55 you dont suffer accuracy as much with a shorter barrel?
    There are plenty of rifles of different brands that have the 6.5 Creedmoor in 20" and 22" barrels. As ChrisW said the velocity loss from 24" to 22" is only about 50 fps which is neither here nor there. Theoretically speaking, a shorter barrel of the same profile will be slightly more accurate that a longer one. Never noticed any difference myself, however I've never had a barrel shoot less accurately by shortening it.
    ChrisW likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    As mentioned, the only thing affected by a shorter barrel is velocity and either 6.5x55 or 6.5 CM are going to suffer the same loss. Most 6.5mm rounds are inherently accurate, it's really only the case size that you are deciding over and the CM is the new kid on the block and will hang around for some time, which means ammo and reloading components should become cheaper.

Went out this weekend with my mate to have a look at guns, never got to view the Sauer as the only place that stocked them (reloaders) was closed on Sunday (annoying, should have looked this up first!). Went to Serious shooters and the guys in there were really helpful right from the get go,I really liked how all the guns were just there and you could pick them up and look at them and cycle the bolts etc (yes you are locked in the gun cage/room, but isnt that every hunters dream?) - Gun city afterwards and we were mostly just starred at until I chased someone down to help, he was pretty helpful after that, did take longer as they have to get every gun down and pass them over to you individually etc)

We checked out the Tikka's (T3), Browning's (Xbolt) and Sako's (A7) - as well as looking at Remington model 7's and Howas. Nothing to do with how the Howa shoots but I did find that overall the quality/feel/finish of the Howa's was less than the others. I was more impressed with the Remington M7 than I thought I'd be. Felt good in the hand but didn't think the bolt action felt as nice.

Personally I didnt find that the Sako A7 offered anything better than the Tikka or Browning beside maybe the mag and mag release. - I preferred the bolt release button to remove the bolt with the safety on on the Browning over the Sako, was much easier to operate and not as fiddly.

We both came to the conclusion that we rate the Browning Xbolt over the Tikka T3x, some reasons below:

Bolt throw appeared shorter on the Browning than the Tikka (though i didn't measure it)

The trigger was crisp and felt solid on Browning over the Tikka - less vibration after the pull and a shorter pull also, though ive read a few reviews of them freezing, anyone had any issues or no anyone with issues on the Browning?

Much better halfcock on the Browning, the halfcock on the Tikka is pretty much non-existent and the bolt slides back easily - this didn't bother me too much as I don't hunt half cock anyway as I'd rather trust the safety (which is also much quieter to operate than closing the bolt anyway, not sure if there is any reason to hunt halfcock with modern rifles these days)

I preferred the safety A LOT more on the Browning than the Tikka the position of it up on the stock above the grip rather than by the action made it simple and easy to operate, it was super smooth and big enough to easily operate with gloves or freezing cold hands. The lack of a three sage safety on both of the rifles did feel like it was "missing" would be good to see that on them in the future.

Browning holds 1 more round than the tikka in the Mag (stock) which is a minor thing but gives it 1 point. Also (which is well known) the mag can fall out on the Tikka fairly easily)

I liked the dura-touch finish on the stock of the Browning, it felt nicer than the tikka, not that the tikka was bad, otherwise I found the stocks to be pretty much identical in terms of feel, palm swell, weight length etc - both felt a fraction short to the shoulder but this could be fixed with the recoil pad I guess.

This is a stupid reason but I didnt like the bolt shroud on the Tikka, it rattled a bit, and though they are now alloy I still think they look funny, overall the bolt/action on the Browning was more aesthetically pleasing. Personally I like a single colour bolt.

Of course these are mostly just aesthetic reasons (with a couple of functional ones also) and dont speak to the performance of the rifle at all.
    Browning promise a 4 sub moa and Tikka a 3 sub moa - I'd be happy with either tbh.

Browning a bit more expensive than the Tikka and there are less for sale 2nd hand - maybe worse resale value?

Anyone have any experience with how the Dura-touch finish lasts on the Browning's? Does it come off? How Durable is it? That would be my only concern

I think my mate will still go with the Browning depending on what caliber he can get and deal. They don't do a 6.5x55 swede in the Browning only a 6.5 Creedmoor, which I guess is pretty similar

Anyway, that's a long enough rant. Thanks for reading. If you have any insight, comments or issues with what Ive said please let me know!
    csmiffy likes this.

I've got the xbolt in 7mm mag with black duratouch stock. Its held up well and has proven to be damn accurate with handloads. The triggers are wicked on them too. The only thing to mention is if he likes accessorizing his guns, stocks etc are very limited. Also the trigger guard seems to wear quite quickly and can look a bit crap, although I just got mine cerakoted back to the same color. Awesome guns overall though

Bullocks!,
    Thats depending on the target range I suppose.
    I've a factory 18" barreled 6.5 creedmoor that shoots 3/4" or less if I get my shit together.

I preferred the safety A LOT more on the Browning than the Tikka the position of it up on the stock above the grip rather than by the action made it simple and easy to operate, it was super smooth and big enough to easily operate with gloves or freezing cold hands. The lack of a three sage safety on both of the rifles did feel like it was "missing" would be good to see that on them in the future.
    I thought the Browning effectively had a three stage safety with the button on the bolt.

Bolt Unlock Button
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Went out this weekend with my mate to have a look at guns, never got to view the Sauer as the only place that stocked them (reloaders) was closed on Sunday (annoying, should have looked this up first!). Went to Serious shooters and the guys in there were really helpful right from the get go,I really liked how all the guns were just there and you could pick them up and look at them and cycle the bolts etc (yes you are locked in the gun cage/room, but isnt that every hunters dream?) - Gun city afterwards and we were mostly just starred at until I chased someone down to help, he was pretty helpful after that, did take longer as they have to get every gun down and pass them over to you individually etc)

We checked out the Tikka's (T3), Browning's (Xbolt) and Sako's (A7) - as well as looking at Remington model 7's and Howas. Nothing to do with how the Howa shoots but I did find that overall the quality/feel/finish of the Howa's was less than the others. I was more impressed with the Remington M7 than I thought I'd be. Felt good in the hand but didn't think the bolt action felt as nice.

Personally I didnt find that the Sako A7 offered anything better than the Tikka or Browning beside maybe the mag and mag release. - I preferred the bolt release button to remove the bolt with the safety on on the Browning over the Sako, was much easier to operate and not as fiddly.

We both came to the conclusion that we rate the Browning Xbolt over the Tikka T3x, some reasons below:

Bolt throw appeared shorter on the Browning than the Tikka (though i didn't measure it)

The trigger was crisp and felt solid on Browning over the Tikka - less vibration after the pull and a shorter pull also, though ive read a few reviews of them freezing, anyone had any issues or no anyone with issues on the Browning?

Much better halfcock on the Browning, the halfcock on the Tikka is pretty much non-existent and the bolt slides back easily - this didn't bother me too much as I don't hunt half cock anyway as I'd rather trust the safety (which is also much quieter to operate than closing the bolt anyway, not sure if there is any reason to hunt halfcock with modern rifles these days)

Browning holds 1 more round than the tikka in the Mag (stock) which is a minor thing but gives it 1 point. Also (which is well known) the mag can fall out on the Tikka fairly easily)

I liked the dura-touch finish on the stock of the Browning, it felt nicer than the tikka, not that the tikka was bad, otherwise I found the stocks to be pretty much identical in terms of feel, palm swell, weight length etc - both felt a fraction short to the shoulder but this could be fixed with the recoil pad I guess.

This is a stupid reason but I didnt like the bolt shroud on the Tikka, it rattled a bit, and though they are now alloy I still think they look funny, overall the bolt/action on the Browning was more aesthetically pleasing. Personally I like a single colour bolt.

Of course these are mostly just aesthetic reasons (with a couple of functional ones also) and dont speak to the performance of the rifle at all.
    Browning promise a 4 sub moa and Tikka a 3 sub moa - I'd be happy with either tbh.

Browning a bit more expensive than the Tikka and there are less for sale 2nd hand - maybe worse resale value?

Anyone have any experience with how the Dura-touch finish lasts on the Browning's? Does it come off? How Durable is it? That would be my only concern

I think my mate will still go with the Browning depending on what caliber he can get and deal. They don't do a 6.5x55 swede in the Browning only a 6.5 Creedmoor, which I guess is pretty similar

Anyway, that's a long enough rant. Thanks for reading. If you have any insight, comments or issues with what Ive said please let me know!
    1 more point for the tikka is the adjustable trigger weight pull.
    Last time I heard the browning are not very easy to lighten.
    That was a few years ago though.
    Me , I'm a tikka slut to be fair but I do have my reasons as I love my 6.5x55 and varmint 22-250 an old 590 in 308 and two of my boys have tikka's as well!
    It's a question of what floats ya boat really!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!