Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Who's built off or uses a Stevens 200?

Build a custom rifle then.

I'd be inclined to use something less ugly than a Stevens as my action, however.

Quote Originally Posted by the kid View Post
    I'd be inclined to use something less ugly than a Stevens as my action, however.
    That comment always makes me laugh
    personally I'd rather an ugly rifle than a pretty one that shoots like shit.

Pretty rifles that shoot do exist.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by the kid View Post
    Pretty rifles that shoot do exist.
    Quite right

To be honest I like the Howa's more than anything else I've played with...I just didn't get offered one for $500...which spawned my original idea

Impure Lead Flinger
    $500 probably isint rey cheap for a stevens.......

Keep eye on tm you will pick up the odd 700 for $600~$700

Piopio, Christchurch, Pilbara/GreatSandy Desert WA
    $950 for one at gunworks at the moment, hogue stock, threaded, 7mmm08.

Beavis - it depends on your budget and purpose.

If your rifle budget is up to a grand total, then your 2nd hand Stevens 200 with a new trigger and Boyds stock will do very well. Will also look good. For similar dollars you have second hand Howa/Weatherby, new Marlin, perhaps a Weather Warrior etc. All capable of sub MOA with competent shooter and right ammos. All good options for the dollar.

If your purpose is primarily to find an accurate hunter, the Stevens delivers. They shoot well on the range - often outperforming more expensive makes. Sub MOA with them is common - as Normie's results above show - and you could spend 3 times the price on a rifle and get no more accuracy - even less. Does not need rebarrelling for accurate hunting purpose.

Aesthetics/beauty in our rifles does count, but peak accuracy (plus reliability) always come first. If you're on a budget and have to pay alot more for a rifle with better aesthetics but no improvement in performance, I would not bother - especially for a hunter.

I enjoy a nice piece of engineering, but personally I get alot of fun out of testing out cheaper brands, tweaking them, ammo testing and turning them into sharpshooters. Some of them really can be excellent range/field performers, and many times have seen them embarrass 'name brands' on range.

From my own experience with sporter makes, price is generally (but not always) an indication of quality, but its not necessarily an indication of accuracy. If the Stevens is in your $$ range, it is likely to be a good performer and with a few additions will make a fine hunter. A Stevens mod can be quite a reasonable option - though there are also other good make/model deals showing on trademe regularly.
    Last edited by mudgripz; 28-04-2012 at 11:02 AM.

I'm leaning more towards a Howa/Weatherby type build now. It's not something I'm going to rush into. Basically what I have in mind is a simple, light weight rifle in a smaller efficient chambering, for taking game out to around 500m, and having a go at paper and steel further out. I don't want a full blown LR rig, but I want something that is more useful and versatile than your average boring bolt gun in *insert generic caliber* with a 3-9 on top. If you get my drift.

I have a Stevens 7mm08 witha Truflight barrel, SSS trigger and Boyd stock. This is my only center fire and it just evolved over time.

It shoots well. This target is a couple of shots I let go last night at 600 yards. I was checking my zero and out of light.

I expect results like this but the original barrel wasnt far behind until I burnt it out running hot loads.
    It's still just a Stevens and has no resale value. If I planned to spend this much money then I would likely go a different route.
    Name:  Small.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  57.8 KB

I agree Beavis the Howa's are fantastic rifles.... I've still got one actually, millspec coated with the hogue on it..... Its ridiculously funny how nice it is to shoot!

I would cut the crap and take a howa tbh and get the much better stock than the weatherby, now available with 10 round mags in short action hehehe!
    Howa's are probably the most underated factory rifle today, I'd take one over a tikka any day because the stock is so much nicer.... the laminate tikka's though are the best of the t3's, got that extra bit of weight and feel that much better somehow....

I mean you can get a stainless howa scoped etc supressed for like 1300ish these days and thats pretty much guarenteed to shoot sub inch....
    Need I say anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    I agree Beavis the Howa's are fantastic rifles.... I've still got one actually, millspec coated with the hogue on it..... Its ridiculously funny how nice it is to shoot!

I would cut the crap and take a howa tbh and get the much better stock than the weatherby, now available with 10 round mags in short action hehehe!
    Howa's are probably the most underated factory rifle today, I'd take one over a tikka any day because the stock is so much nicer.... the laminate tikka's though are the best of the t3's, got that extra bit of weight and feel that much better somehow....

I mean you can get a stainless howa scoped etc supressed for like 1300ish these days and thats pretty much guarenteed to shoot sub inch....
    Need I say anymore?
    No
    tui_man2 likes this.

It would get chucked in a new stock anyway. Maybe a Boyds to start with and then something "high speed" when I decide what I want. Most of the stocks on factory rifles are shit. It boggles my mind that they sell rifles for $1000+ with such pieces of shit attached to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    It would get chucked in a new stock anyway. Maybe a Boyds to start with and then something "high speed" when I decide what I want. Most of the stocks on factory rifles are shit. It boggles my mind that they sell rifles for $1000+ with such pieces of shit attached to them.
    I'll second that!

I think that in terms of stocks CZ would have to be my favorite, especially the FS models.... holy hell they have old world engineering quality and craftsmenship written all over them!

Personally I don't give much of a damn for old world engineering in a working gun. What I want is a rugged stable platform. I do like nice bits of walnut. My mate has a nice little Sako 75 carbine in a custom walnut stock, which the prick won't give to me.