Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Whos loving their howa mini

Mine came with pillars. Regular HTI stock.
    Just...say...the...word

northdude
    yep the stocks got pillars. i took the bottom plastic off and found some tube that the take down screws/bolts were a neat fit in then drilled the plastic to suite the tubes j b welded them in and when dry carefully linished them flush with the plastic you need to go light and slow so you don't melt the plastic. id put a pic up but it doesn't seem to work for me anymore

I have a 6.5 grendel mini howa, in a shapes vro bullet chassis, on factory hornady black 123g ammo, im putting holes through holes at 200m

My pencil barrel in 7,62 x39 is exceptionally good, I tried a ruger ranch and was underwhelmed to say the least.
    takbok likes this.

I bought one of these mag release guards off TM. Expensive for a little bit of plastic, but gives me a lot more peace of mind.... I love the little 223; my "bread and butter" rifle that keeps the freezer full

Name:  mag catch.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  156.0 KB
    rugerman and Cordite like this.

I love mine now I have replaced the shitty plastic bottom metall and mag with a nice flush bottom metal.
    Still have 5 shot mag which is plenty (223)
    Shoots everything 65gr and under well ( its the older 1 in 9 twist not the newer 1 in 8)
    Bought it for my Son to use but I find myself using it more than anything else I own.
    jakewire and Micky Duck like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I’ve only used 55gr Belmont Black in my 1:8” twist Howa Mini .223, and it absolutely loves ‘em. The rifle is used as a brush and truck gun, so lots of offhand shooting, off the knee, improvised rests, etc. No bipod. One baffle in a DPT overbarrel suppressor, so shorter, more than adequate noise suppression. The two paper targets I shot after a basic barrel break in (3 shot groups) were comfortably MOA at 100m, shot off the back of the quad.

The little rifle excels in this role and I won’t change anything major, no need. The stock is perfect for the purpose, a lot less flexible than the rubberised Hogue, the only thing I’ll do to it is remove a bit of material from the tip of the forend under the barrel. It has the revised mag release catch and the 10 shot mag - on two occasions I’ve used 7 or 8 shots pursuing a mob of goats with no time to reload, so that will stay as it is too.

One red yearling has been taken with it, lights out DRT, by my son.

Wears a Weaver 4-16x44 Grand Slam, which suits the rifle pretty well but I had to take it off my .243 as it was all I had at the time. It may well end up going back on the .243 and me looking for something more specific for the .223.

Great value rifles, top notch. Does everything just as well as my shooting buddy’s Sako 85 short action .223 stainless laminate, which is heavier, will rust if not attended to, and costs over four times as much.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

I have the stainless standard barrel 7.62x39 now pruned to 16 inch with a DPT.
    it now wears DIP alloy bottom metal which i think has made the grouping better, but that might be psychological? (and made the mag release tighter for some reason).

Mine is a truck gun as well - i hate to think how many wallabies i've taken with it!

Im seriously contemplating a Howa Mini Varmint .223 , 1 in 8 twist .
    My question is how much heavier is the varmint barrel and does it hamper the portability/balance of the rifle .
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Have a pencil barrel one. Shoots well with many different loads. Recently put it in an XCL chassis and have it away getting trimmed back to 14.5". Want it to roughly mimic the lightweight AR hunting build I used to have.
    Could you put up some pics when done?
    Sound like the sort of business I'm keen to do as well

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Im seriously contemplating a Howa Mini Varmint .223 , 1 in 8 twist .
    My question is how much heavier is the varmint barrel and does it hamper the portability/balance of the rifle .
    Look it up in the Howa catalogue, its all there.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Look it up in the Howa catalogue, its all there.
    Catalog’s tell me exact weights , the forum tells me “ Jeez it’s muzzle heavy “ , “ don’t try carrying it to far “ etc
    northdude likes this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Took the little mini out for a goat hunt yesterday. Man that little mag catch cover makes a helluva difference to your peace of mind!

Name:  IMG_20210117_144807_copy_1094x1459.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  840.4 KB

I've set mine up to mimic as best as I can the length, weight and ergonomics of my former light weight AR for Bush hunting goats. It looks odd but feels good in the hand.
    Seventenths, Bill999, 308 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    I bought one of these mag release guards off TM. Expensive for a little bit of plastic, but gives me a lot more peace of mind.... I love the little 223; my "bread and butter" rifle that keeps the freezer full

Attachment 158308
    Just being observant you say 223 but the rifle in the pic is either 6.5 grendel or 7.62 x39.