Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Why the 243 is ideal for the elderly

Used a .243 for years for both hunting and range competition work and it was very good for both. If you shoot accurately with this round the animals certainly do fall over.

IMHO its the 'shooting accurately' bit that usually gives more trouble than the bore size ....

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by hillclima View Post
    Where did you sell your 601?? I have one that I brought in the mid 90's in Napier, it was my first gun and I still have it, shot deer, pigs, thar, chamois with it
    Hillclima

Sold it to a mate who lives near Waverly, I believe she still has it too.

Cheers
    Pete

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

It may say nzhuntingandshooting but its all fishnhunt underneath

Chris
    Whats your point Chris!

Pete

iInteresting thread. I've got a .243 as my only centrefire cal, and everything I shot with Corelokts keeled over pretty fast with massive internal damage. Everyone is entitled to their opinions; the world would be a boring place if we all shot with a Tikka 7-08! I love my .243 and wouldn't consider changing it, even if others reckon it's shit Tuiman, Baldbob and a heap of other peoples experiences with the EBRG are a pretty good indication of what the calibre is capable of.

Banned
    .243 Winchester is a wonderful little cartridge. Probably the fastest quickest kills on red deer I ever had with that or the .25/06. Anyone who doubts its killing ability either can't shoot at all or suffers from some kind of mental defect. (This is not a guess; simply a statement of fact.)
    I have some brass for one and will get another one one day. Only thing wrong with the last one I had was that it was a TIkka T3. (And boy do they suck. )

I love my Tikka(s)

There is no practical difference between any 08 cased round on reds. There is no such thing as inherent accuracy for hunting rifles, hence any calibre is superbly accurate in the hands of a competent marksman.

I love the .243 but more people hate 7mm08 so I bought one.

Chris

Ejected
    Your full of it Highway

Banned
    Just the truth, mon ami.

CRKN, as for all '08 based cartridges having no practical difference...the .243 perfroms differently on deer than the .308, and the .260 again is different. If you mean they will all kill deer, then, well, yeah. As for all cartridges being supurbly acurate in the hands of a marksman....well, you will have to define spurb accuracy and then we can think about how small bore cartridges are statistically more accruate than larger bores and so forth and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    Just the truth, mon ami.

CRKN, as for all '08 based cartridges having no practical difference...the .243 perfroms differently on deer than the .308, and the .260 again is different. If you mean they will all kill deer, then, well, yeah. As for all cartridges being supurbly acurate in the hands of a marksman....well, you will have to define spurb accuracy and then we can think about how small bore cartridges are statistically more accruate than larger bores and so forth and so on.
    I don't even know where to start....
    All I can say is it's horses for courses.
    Different bullet weights & construction make a massive difference to performance.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    .243 Winchester is a wonderful little cartridge. Probably the fastest quickest kills on red deer I ever had with that or the .25/06. Anyone who doubts its killing ability either can't shoot at all or suffers from some kind of mental defect. (This is not a guess; simply a statement of fact.)
    I have some brass for one and will get another one one day. Only thing wrong with the last one I had was that it was a TIkka T3. (And boy do they suck. )
    Carlsen Highway

Welcome to the New forum.

What took you so long getting here?

MEB
    The only person I will even listen to about 'this calibre is shit/useless/whatever' is when they stand in front of one at 5m and let someone shoot them with it. If you think a calibre is 'useless' then stand in front of one and get shot by it. Otherwise it isn't 'useless'. It may not be as awesome as you are - lets face it who is?. The one thing I find shit is people 'bagging' a calibre because they deem it 'shit or useless'. If it's useless it has NO use, none. Therefore stand in front of the fucking thing and say it's useless after you've been shot with it.
    I'm sick of the best calibre, what calibre is best bunch of fucking bollocks and I've only been hunting a few years. How you lot can harp on about it day in and day out defies belief. Either shut up about how useless a calibre is or prove how 'useless' it is by being shot with it.

I have a 7mm 08 apparently its a yuppie calibre, so I bought a .223 too

Quote Originally Posted by MEB View Post
    The only person I will even listen to about 'this calibre is shit/useless/whatever' is when they stand in front of one at 5m and let someone shoot them with it. If you think a calibre is 'useless' then stand in front of one and get shot by it. Otherwise it isn't 'useless'. It may not be as awesome as you are - lets face it who is?. The one thing I find shit is people 'bagging' a calibre because they deem it 'shit or useless'. If it's useless it has NO use, none. Therefore stand in front of the fucking thing and say it's useless after you've been shot with it.
    I'm sick of the best calibre, what calibre is best bunch of fucking bollocks and I've only been hunting a few years. How you lot can harp on about it day in and day out defies belief. Either shut up about how useless a calibre is or prove how 'useless' it is by being shot with it.

So... you deny that there are valid reasons to select one calibre over another?

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    So... you deny that there are valid reasons to select one calibre over another?

Also, for my stance on "calibre arguments", please see my first post in this thread. It's done to death and I've got my own opinions (which are correct).

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!