Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Why semiautos

was hunting not a "sport"

Quote Originally Posted by eamars View Post
    The old E(MSSA) was for sporting and competition only purpose. There is nothing about hunting.
    According to the police.

If you value any of the manure those idiots at PNHQ spill...
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by eamars View Post
    The old E(MSSA) was for sporting and competition only purpose. There is nothing about hunting.
    Interesting if that was the original intention, if so, why are they banned when B cat is not?

I got E cat entirely for pest control, no affiliation to any sport shooting club. I was actually a bit surprised that once I had E I could then use the rifle anywhere, I had expected to be limited to using it for pest control purposes only, as this is what I applied for.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    The only ones I can think of are for pest control as in a target rich environment you can transition quickly between targets, you can rapidly follow up on misses especially as often your shooting position is less than ideal..

Not something I would admit to animal rights people, but a large mag semi auto allows you to put 'holding' shots into animals, you may have only a 3 second window to knock down 20+ goats in bush, in 3 seconds you can empty half a 30rd mag into a mob of goats at close range, you don't have to use perfect kill shots every animal first shot, it's only a couple seconds until the kill shot takes them out.

Too many of the general population don't understand the difference between hunting (meat collection, one shot ideally should be plenty, very careful shot placement) and pest control where meat collection is not the primary purpose and you just want to cull as many as possible in shortest possible time. The difference is often very clear when hunters come shooting on the farm, they are often far too slow and methodical in taking a shot and we loose the target.
    Marty Henry and Ben-tard like this.

Greetings All,
    The only semi auto that has ever entered my rifle cupboard is a Ruger 10-22 Sporter purchased man moons ago for $99.00. It is still here but does not get much use these days. I found that using sub sonic ammo (without a suppressor) you could often get a second shot or more when hunting rabbits. You would not have been able to do this with a bolt as your movement in reloading would have spooked them. A friend and I used to run shooting classes for school kids, organised through the schools, with our 10-22 rifles. They shot, from a rest, from our old RBR shooting hut, two at a time, with one of us standing behind each shooter. We felt that removing the need to reload each shot made the process safer especially for the younger shooters that might struggle with a bolt action. We loaded the rifles for them and cleared them when they finished. It was a different time.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings All,
    The only semi auto that has ever entered my rifle cupboard is a Ruger 10-22 Sporter purchased man moons ago for $99.00. It is still here but does not get much use these days. I found that using sub sonic ammo (without a suppressor) you could often get a second shot or more when hunting rabbits. You would not have been able to do this with a bolt as your movement in reloading would have spooked them. A friend and I used to run shooting classes for school kids, organised through the schools, with our 10-22 rifles. They shot, from a rest, from our old RBR shooting hut, two at a time, with one of us standing behind each shooter. We felt that removing the need to reload each shot made the process safer especially for the younger shooters that might struggle with a bolt action. We loaded the rifles for them and cleared them when they finished. It was a different time.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Yes, watching kids new to shooting struggle with a bolt action can sometimes be.....painful. All part of the experience though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found that too @tiroahunta But usually so keen to shoot, they don't mind.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    I've found that too @tiroahunta But usually so keen to shoot, they don't mind.
    For sure. It’s not the kids that mind though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only semi is a 12ga (which I love). I once had a 10/22, I would like to get another as a project rifle but will depend how much bunny hunting I do in the future.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

For pest control (goats, rabbits, pigs etc) the semi is unbeatable, particularly with large mobs of goats. Having to work the bolt breaks the cheek weld and also pulls the rifle off target which adds at least a couple of seconds to your next shot. My best effort in one go was 13 pigs with 14 shots from my FAL. My hunting companion was using a bolt action Remington 700 7mm Mag and got a misfeed on his first round and never fired a shot. It was all over in 10-12 seconds.

Gone but not forgotten
    ive had semi .22s mostly
    have used a few semi centerfires
    i prefer bolt rifles so didnt get hammered with bans and bs yet it erks me tho just cause im a cat bolt action owner/user its inferred im a sheep/or threw others under the bus
    but its not my right to say next shooter cant have semi if they wish for whatever reasons they choose

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    So a question, what would be your reasons for using a semiautomatic for hunting or pest control over a bolt action.
    The only ones I can think of are for pest control as in a target rich environment you can transition quickly between targets, you can rapidly follow up on misses especially as often your shooting position is less than ideal.
    Can anyone add anything else to the mix feel free to think centrefire as well as rimfire.
    Ergonomics, there are quite a few guys out there who due to medical or physical reasons struggle to manipulate a bolt.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Thank you guys you've just reinforced and confirmed my own opinion but expanded quite nicely on some of the points. Keep them coming.

GDR
    Pest control semis all the way
    less escapees, stay on target for follow up shot, at least 30% +++ more effective using semis.

Personally prefer bolt gun for target plinking
    Or teaching kids
    Marty Henry and Jewcati like this.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    And because some posers like to pretend they'r in the army, on patrol
    The same guys pretend they are snipers with their bolt action... The style of firearm has nothing to do with being a dickhead
    dogmatix, 199p, Slug and 17 others like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Utility-I hunt Reindyr with my Vepr because its extremely Robust.

Recoil -My Wife can also shoot it comfortably because the mechanisum soaks up some of the recoil,saves taking two guns on one hunt.

Advancement-Why manipulate a mechanism manually when physics can do it for you?

Economy-It was not an expensive gun,does not fire expensive bullets.
    Barefoot, Cordite and Jewcati like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"