Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Winchester 94

Winchester 94

I was talking to a Guy this morning who was trying to sell a very average Win 94 to me for $1800. I asked him what was so special about this one that made it worth $1800 his reply was "they've stopped making them so they're collectors items now". I pointed out to him that his one was actually fucked and there was over 7,000,000 of them made and I was fairly sure that several had survived not just his one, he argued and told me I didn't know jack shit and he would go sell it to one of the gunshops in In'gill who would gladly take it off his hands for his price. I just wonder how many people are saving these things as collector items and how much others are willing to pay, can't wait for his update tomorrow after going to the Gunshops in In'gill and trying to get $1800 for it.
    Maybe I'm missing something here but I can't see them being worth $1800 any time soon.
    Opinions Guys and Gals

Let me know if he gets rid of it, I have some collectible shit for sale too...

Have a look at what Broncos have for sale on t/me they are " collectables" give you some guide
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Can I have his Phone Number, Can I.????
    I have one that is not fucked, serial number 6 5XX XXX.
    It's gotta be a steal at say, 2.5K then

To offer an opinion on your actual question, I've seen some shops try for silly money, one outfit had one on t/m for 1200 awhile back.
    A very good second hand to some one who really wants one,should possibly go for the same price as a new Marlin maybe a touch more. Downwards from there.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Have a look at what Broncos have for sale on t/me they are " collectables" give you some guide
    Maca49

They are NIB special edition commemorative rifles ..... can't really compare these rifles with fu*ked bog standard Winchester 94's.

As for standard Win 94's being collectable and worth the $$$ stated above .... I doubt it .... well not in my lifetime that is.

Cheers
    Pete

Good one Pete, to me noWinchester is worth saving, except for serial #1
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    The CRF pre-64 Winchesters were considered a better unit and fetched a higher price?
    Winchester as such no longer make the 64 as it is now made by FN in the US IIRC. The 64 had a rather chequered run with poor QC and mediocre reviews at what I have seen. No LH offerings so I have no real experience. I guess now that FN do make the 64 the guy is technically correct, if not way off the mark?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    The Modern Lever guns I'm sure , could be wrong, are made in Japan and run $1250-1800 USD depending on the model.
    US stopped making them about 2005-06 or there abouts.
    Last edited by jakewire; 20-10-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

$1800 for a average model 94 ,I think hes got his hand on it .
    Might get that sort of money for a Yellow Boy but not a clunker .
    Gun control means using both hands

In my view, there are basically three different categories (yes this is a gross generalisation, but it might help):

1) Post 64 (non comemorative) - the quality control in these is variable and some are very 'rattly/sloppy' in the action. Some, such as the later XTR models with angle eject are pretty nice, others are very basic. These are good working guns with, in my view, more limited collector value. For rougher specimens still in reasonable condition I would expect to pay $500 - $650. A very good specimen might fetch $850-$950 (around the price of a new Marlin), but I personally would be reluctant to pay much more than that ;

2) Pre 64 - this, for the purists, is the [only] real collectors one. I expect special order (delux takedowns, octagonal barrels etc) or to a lesser extent odd-ball calibres (38-55, 32-40 and possibly 25-35 etc) would command very big money (many thousands for a special order version), especially in the US - but these guns are very very rare in New Zealand (relatively speaking). A good pre-64 without any special attributes, but in original un-altered condition is probably worth $750 to $1000 depending on condition. A rough one is only worth what a working post 64 gun is worth - or maybe a smidgen more - as per the above ($500-$650). It would have to be a truely exceptional gun to command anything of significance over that. Nevertheless, an early serial number gun (perhaps pre 1927, which is when #1,000,000 was made), will command more - and a gun from the first two or three years of production is will command much more again.

3) Post 64 commemorative series. I personally don't think these are worth what people are paying for them. If you like tacky brass and nickel coated receivers (in a sloppy post 64 action) ... and cardboard boxes ... by all means go a head. Many purists will stop their collections at 1964, and won't bother with anything after that.

I paid $995 for a pre-64 30/30 a few years ago in what appears to be near unfired condition (which I still think is a whole lot of money for a 30/30, but I am happy)...

Remember quality is everything re collecting - if something has been butchered, altered, drilled and tapped, or refinished for many it will have no collector value.

And given there are around 7 million lingering in gun cabinets out there, I can't see the value increasing much anytime soon (think of what a Tikka T3 might be worth in 50 years time, lol).
    Maca49 likes this.

Winchester 94

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    The CRF pre-64 Winchesters were considered a better unit and fetched a higher price?
    Winchester as such no longer make the 64 as it is now made by FN in the US IIRC. The 64 had a rather chequered run with poor QC and mediocre reviews at what I have seen. No LH offerings so I have no real experience. I guess now that FN do make the 64 the guy is technically correct, if not way off the mark?

Aagh total numbers fuck up on my behalf! I meant the Model 70 which is the bolt action, not the 64. Disregard anything I ever write again

Maca49 likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Aagh total numbers fuck up on my behalf! I meant the Model 70 which is the bolt action, not the 64. Disregard anything I ever write again

Yep OK
    199p likes this.

P38

Hahahahahah

Have you been hanging round that Whisky thread again James?
    Munsey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Hahahahahah

Have you been hanging round that Whisky thread again James?
    Haha. Just trying to keep the cook outta my nice bottle of port actually. Not bad considering it came from across the ditch.

P38
    Haha. Just trying to keep the cook outta my nice bottle of port actually. Not bad considering it came from across the ditch.

It's too hot for drinking port James.

I leave that for those bitterly cold nights in mid winter.

BTW are you winning that battle?

Cheers
    Pete