Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Woodstock 30-06 for a beginner shooter

Would getting a woodstock rifle chambered in 30-06 be too much for a beginner shooter?

I'd prefer to get fewer rifles that are a bit nicer, so having a versatile cartridge is important to me, whether it be for hunting or just trying my hand at long distance target shooting.

The 30-06 has basically the same powder capacity as a 270, except with the heavier bullet sizes of a 308, plus ammo is cheap and available, so the 30-06 is where I landed.

Since a lot of people recommend getting a
    308 rifle with a synthetic stock as a first rifle, I don't think that the felt recoil generated from a wood stock 30-06 would be much greater. I'd like to know your thoughts on this.

For reference, I'm a 20 year old guy whose of average height, weighing in at the low to mid 80's.

My first rifle was a wood stocked Rem 700 30/06 it had less recoil than my friends Winchester 270. A heavier rifle will have less felt recoil.

Banned
    30 06 has a slower recoil impulse than a 308, so the same calculated recoil foot pounds will feel like less than the sharp recoil of a 308 with the same bullet.
    Like all guns, best to shoot and try before buying.

30/06 is a great first rifle..2nd rifle,3rd rifle and main rifle... if yo ufind someone to reload for you..you can tone it right down to BELOW .308 levels and I can tell you for a fact that a 130grn projectile at softish levels from 30/06 will decapitate goats quite emphatically .you can go from mild plinking loads right up to heavy hitters so easily
    most factory ammunition in lower price bracket isnt super hot....mate used 150grn reloads done by belmont for years,wallabies and deer....
    go for it and be happy.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

and mates rifle still isnt suppressed.......unless what you looking at is a real classic,that one thing will make it oh so pleasant to shoot no matter the load.
    75/15/10 black powder matters