Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: The WORST Firearm You Ever Owned

Had a Ruger deluxe 10/22 for near 30 years, shot everything with it and it groups good enough for the job.
    Only thing I had done was a trigger job.
    Gerbs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    blue and wood 10/22 is 600. The barrel upgrade was a whistlepig. cost me about 400 I think, about 2/3 the price of a super low end 10/22. A KIDD barrel is about 430 to 560 (see USAguns), still not quite twice the price of a 10/22.

a supergrade KIDD is about 2,000, three times the price of a 10/22. not bad at all considering the price difference of a Annie 1712 and a JW15.
    Yeah...Nah

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Yea but an Annie doesn't need twice what you paid for it to make it shoot
    When you say "but", did you mean KIDD needed twice what you paid for it to shoot? My apologies if I misunderstood.

res
    I hope he means a std 10/22, every kidd I have seen shoots very well. My complete one outshoots my cz bolt gun
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    When I got a quote for insurance on the supergrade it came back at over 3k
    I have no idea how you managed that. KIDD sells supergrade about the same price or very little more than standard. supergrade simply has a rear tang, uses larger screws, and threaded barrel rather than V-lock barrels. so in a way barrel should cost cheaper to make. My first KIDD is a supergrade, brand new and 1700 without stock. I paid less than 300 for a boyd stock, did the inletting myself.

Even if you buy today, a receiver is about 500, barrel 500, bolt is 200, trigger is 500, plus a few bits and pieces you are looking at less than 2000 if you go with a Hogue stock and a factory mag.

(I laid well under two on trademe)and have bought several new 10/22 for $395 with plastic stocks.
    they have not been that price for a few years now since reloaders sold their last few.

for the last few years, plastic stainless version has been about 600+

Ruger 10/22 Carbine Stainless Steel Synthetic Stock - ruger, carbine, steel, stock - Serious Shooters
    22 Ruger 10/22 Stainless Synthetic Semi Auto Rifle

the blue and wood version is cheaper, but still 500-600

Your saying your 10/22 cost $1000ish, 2.5x the basic cost of base model 10/22. Hardly apples with apples
    I am saying a new 10/22 today is about 600, a whislepig barrel costing 400 will make it shoot very accurately (but not easily as it still has a shitty factory trigger). in fact a KIDD superlight barrel is only 430, no importation is involved.

my 10/22 was a secondhand, it cost me 300, I got a gun bag, silencer, scope, and 200 rounds with it.

northdude
    more in general these 10/22s that are really accurate you need to put extra bits on a lot of them to get them to perform sometimes theres stuff all 10/22 left buy the time youve put parts into it i know ive got one but stuffed if im pouring more money into it just to get it to go how it should in the first place and yes i also know there is the odd good one out there i just bought an old second hand mauser for stuff all and its a shooter without having to do anything to it
    gadgetman likes this.

res
    I have no idea how you managed that. KIDD sells supergrade about the same price or very little more than standard. supergrade simply has a rear tang, uses larger screws, and threaded barrel rather than V-lock barrels. so in a way barrel should cost cheaper to make. My first KIDD is a supergrade, brand new and 1700 without stock. I paid less than 300 for a boyd stock, did the inletting myself.
    I'm not sure how the shop came up with the price, but I only paid $200 more than ded said the Macmillan stock would cost so I'm happy with the price I paid. Probably my favorite .22
    Using Tapatalk

northdude
    I hope he means a std 10/22, every kidd I have seen shoots very well. My complete one outshoots my cz bolt gun
    kidd is very accurate youd be pissed you got one that wasnt ive never seen one that doesnt shoot

more in general these 10/22s that are really accurate you need to put extra bits on a lot of them to get them to perform sometimes theres stuff all 10/22 left buy the time youve put parts into it i know ive got one but stuffed if im pouring more money into it just to get it to go how it should in the first place and yes i also know there is the odd good one out there i just bought an old second hand mauser for stuff all and its a shooter without having to do anything to it
    From a standard 10/22 the only thing you need change to get excellent accuracy is the barrel, 400 for a whislepig, or 430 for a kidd superlight.

If you want competition level freehand shooting, you will need to spend 500 for KIDD 2stage trigger. But you can go cheap and just stone the factory trigger yourself.

There is no need to upgrade the receiver, buffer, bolt, or individual bits of the trigger.
    Gerbs likes this.

northdude
    So your up to 1000 bucks if you can do it yourself you can get a good accurate 22 for less than that that would shoot well out of the box but that's a topic for another thread i think

So your up to 1000 bucks if you can do it yourself you can get a good accurate 22 for less than that that would shoot well out of the box but that's a topic for another thread i think
    Firstly, I consider new factory basic 10/22 at 600 for wood and blue version and 700 for plastic and stainless version, to be overpriced. I would never recommend that to anyone. I certainly did not buy one at that price. But that is not the point of debate.

Secondly, despite new 10/22s are overpriced, 400 to make it accurate is actually not bad at all. the appealof 10/22 is the non-protruding 10 round mag, tolerance for any and all ammos, and the easy assembly. There are cheaper semis, sure, but most of them are more picky and less reliable.

If it were not so, 10/22 would not have been the best selling semi 22.

IIRC the Marlin 60 has outsold it about 2 to 1 over the years.

Probably because its reliable too, but you don't need to double the cost of the rifle with aftermarket parts to make it accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    IIRC the Marlin 60 has outsold it about 2 to 1 over the years.

Probably because its reliable too, but you don't need to double the cost of the rifle with aftermarket parts to make it accurate.
    Correct. The Marlin has well outsold the Ruger and is generally accurate and ready to go out of the box. When I wanted a semi I checked rimfirecentral and did a search on Marlin and Ruger. The Marlin came out on top for accuracy and anyone who had both tended to take the Marlin hunting because of that.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Firstly, I consider new factory basic 10/22 at 600 for wood and blue version and 700 for plastic and stainless version, to be overpriced. I would never recommend that to anyone. I certainly did not buy one at that price. But that is not the point of debate.

Secondly, despite new 10/22s are overpriced, 400 to make it accurate is actually not bad at all. the appeal of 10/22 is the non-protruding 10 round mag, tolerance for any and all ammos, and the easy assembly. There are cheaper semis, sure, but most of them are more picky and less reliable.

The design of the ruger 10/22 is practical and effective. Well though out and the 10 round flush mag really tops it off. Problem is over the years the quality has fallen away significantly. They used to be one of the cheapest semi autos on the market and one of the better ones at the same time, but their manufacturing processes changed in the late 80s, early 90s and they got progressively worse. They still sell on name alone as for the most part they are still a very good design. But there are better semi autos out there at similar prices now, and and the choice is improving. For a better semi you could look at pretty much any other semi auto and for out of the box accuracy pretty much any other 22.....But most 22s are not as easy to alter, "pimp up" taylor to an individuals desire. New stocks, barrels, add ons etc are predominantly made for the 10/22. (and it could be argued these add ons are popular because the rifle is disappointing without them)

As for price, they were about $400 in the early 90s when I got mine new, then they climbed gradually to around $800 in the early 2000s. About 05 /06 when the US dollar climbed to 80c NZ we started to see them come in again around the $400-$450 mark and recently they have started to climb towards the $600 mark again. (Some are dearer depending on what add ons and where you buy them....)

I like their design for the take down, and the rifle itself. But the last one I owned had its best group of around 12 inches at 25 yards....!!!!!!!!!!! I have seen them do 1/2 and 1 inch groups at 50 but mine was not able to. Consistency in manufacture has let Ruger down big time.
    308 and Steve123 like this.

northdude
    must be one of the few rifles out there that you buy brand new and straight away have to put another barrel on it to get what you wanted in the first place
    Steve123 likes this.