Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By winchesterM69A
  • 1 Post By 11mms

Thread: Worth re-bluing a .22 barrel?

Worth re-bluing a .22 barrel?

Barrel has one spot of bluing missing for some reason, doesnt look like rust, the metal is quite shiny, almost like some sort of chemical has got in contact with it and removed it, plus a small patch of light rust and the odd scratch.
    Ive never really had much success touching up a barrel before, I always find you will damage the existing bluing around the aera you want to treat.
    Do those G-96 touch up pens typically work OK?
    What does it typically cost to get a barrel re-blued?
    Im wanting to restore the whole gun back to near new condition if possible.

Banned
    GaryP in Napier does very good blue work. Or buy a bottle of cold blue and do a repair. Theres a very recent thread on cold blue
    Old_School likes this.

No "touch up" or "cold blue" will be anywhere near as effective as the proper thing. And certainly not "as new"

Are you wanting to "near-new" it yourself, or looking to pay someone? The cost of paying someone else could very quickly exceed the value of the piece.
    If you're reasonably handy, firearms are fairly simple tools, and as a species we have developed a good understanding of metal and wood over the last couple of years...
    Old_School likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 11mms View Post
    No "touch up" or "cold blue" will be anywhere near as effective as the proper thing. And certainly not "as new"

Are you wanting to "near-new" it yourself, or looking to pay someone? The cost of paying someone else could very quickly exceed the value of the piece.
    If you're reasonably handy, firearms are fairly simple tools, and as a species we have developed a good understanding of metal and wood over the last couple of years...
    Oxpho blue seems to be the best type of bluing for touchups and doesnt seem to damage the existing bluing the same as others, apparently you can apply it over rusted areas and it converts it to a type of blue finish according to users. Wouldnt mind experiment with it if i can find a supplier here.
    Im probably spending more than what the gun is worth to bring it up to good condition, but if i can touch up the barrel to an acceptable standard I would probably be happy, if I could get it blued for around $100 I would probably be OK with that.
    The alloy trigger guard can be redone in cerakote for not a bad price and the receiver is still in good enough condition with minimal wear.
    Im replacing the wood with a deluxe version so ive probably spent around $650 including the gun and new wood so far.