Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: WTB Kimber 7mm-08

Quote Originally Posted by nevereadyfreddy View Post
    What a load of bollocks.
    No Its not. Kimber had some quality control issues for a while to the stage where they stopped offering montanas in 7mm08 and 260. Mostly from their in house barrels but some feeding issues as well as stocks failing. .243 and .308 seem far less affected. It wasn't every rifle but enough for them to recognize they had a problem. It seems they have ironed out the problems now and I would buy a new one but if it was second hand Id buy a 308 and download it if recoil was an issue or if a another cal as Pointer said make sure it has no problems.
    Also if the recoil of a 308 is going to be a bit much then an ultralight rifle like the montana might not be the best option for you?
    veitnamcam and Pointer like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Funny you should say that Sneeze. I had a 7 08 kimber a few years ago for about 1 week before returning it to the shop. It shot like sh$t. I've got a 243 now that shoots well.
    Pointer and kiwijames like this.

I had one. 280Ai. It wasn't a tack driver however it was standard MOA and I'd agree that a mountain rifle is just that, I would not baulk at owning another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

OK. They had some problems early on . My one shot under 1" out of the box and can do 1/2" when I shoot it properly. The thing is ,I havnt had to do anything to it like bedding the action, floating the barrel, milling hunks out of the bolt and stuff to make it lighter. For me its the perfect hunting rifle cause its light,accurate and light
    Danny likes this.

I agree.

Dan M

I have a mate who has one in 7-08 which sadly he is unable to now use due to a disabling stroke. Has a 3-9 Zeiss Conquest on also. Probably only fired around 40 rounds at a guess. PM me if interested and I can get an idea of price etc.

Got a 7mm08 wooded / blued with Suppressor and Redfield scope for sale. About 100 rounds through it. got dies , brass and projectiles to go as a package deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Olsen View Post
    Got a 7mm08 wooded / blued with Suppressor and Redfield scope for sale. About 100 rounds through it. got dies , brass and projectiles to go as a package deal.
    Introduce your self and stick it on the forsale section mate

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I've read heaps about Kimbers on various forums and people are very divided over them.

One thing I have noticed is that there are not many people with a Kimber under .308 saying they don't shoot. It's usually "My Kimber's a piece of shit, it shoots groups like a shotgun, worst 338/06 I've ever owned"

I think a lot is maybe the combination of lightweight rifle and large calibre more than Kimbers quality control.
    I agree. I had one in 280ai. It was no hole punch and it was lively to shoot but it was well worth the hassle of carrying and being on the right side of when you pulled the trigger.
    I believe it would have shot better with someone else behind it than me as some days it shot about .75" others 1.50".
    Should have kept it but to be fair a Montana in .243, .308 or .7mm08 would be my pick of that Kimber litter.

Dan M

I had a Montana .260 that was a dream to shoot and shot the 120 grn pills real well only reason I sold it was the bloody safety what a bugger to use.
    But no problems with the way it shot.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I have a 7-08 Montana, its a keeper. Fussy about ammo like most thin barrel rifles, but shoots like a dream. However I also have a 7mmWSM one which I had to rebarrel before it would shoot. However, I love the little 7-08 will never sell it, its a light, accurate, easy to live with rifle - although it has been heavily chopped and canned now which doesn't seem to worry it a bit.