Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Beetroot
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By GWH

Thread: Zero off-sets

Zero off-sets

Gidday Guys- I'm planning a "dialing" hunting rig and I'd like to run it on a short action.

If I used mag length rounds for my normal hunting but used the zero offset function in Strelok for a longer COL "long range" load when dialing for those over 300M shots . .. . What are the cons of this approach?

Apart from having to single load!

all my 260 hunting loads 95g to 140s hit same zero for windage. the 95s are slightly high so added a zero offset. has caused no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Gidday Guys- I'm planning a "dialing" hunting rig and I'd like to run it on a short action.

If I used mag length rounds for my normal hunting but used the zero offset function in Strelok for a longer COL "long range" load when dialing for those over 300M shots . .. . What are the cons of this approach?
    Two things I've noticed. Had a full length bedded kimber that shot everything same poi at 100. Heard similar results from the Barret Fieldcrafts which are bedded the same way. So that may be an option if you wanted simplicity.

Otherwise I run factory, handloads and subs through one gun. And just have the offsets set in hornady 4dof.

Also when I run subs I marked the dial where my 50 yard and 100 yard zeros where. Seems to work good. Although I only ever run a super and sub load combo in a hunt not 2 super loads

No issues at all other than if you forget to account for the offset or swtich loads back and forget to un-offset.
    Do you actually have the two loads or are you intending to develop a long range load?

From experience chances are the zero for each load will be very close anyway that it may be a non issue.
    Also from experience it may not actually be worth the hassle running two different loads, I'd want some seriously imporved performance to risk the shooter error this could bring.
    akaroa1 and Steelisreal like this.

It works but don't bugger it up.
    Just makesure your offsets are the right way around, eg the + -

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Sounds like a fuck up. Just work out the zero for your 2nd round and add that to the programme as a secondary ammo load with the same scope setting, or am i trippin
    Beaker likes this.

I'd only have the one (long range) load in Strelok, the rounds in the magazine would be the true zero. Up to 300M - shoot normal. If required to do for something a bit further away (which I'd normally dial anyway) the procedure would be to single load a round, dial elevation (and windage if the offset requires) before shooting . ..
    Steelisreal likes this.

Sounds like you've got it worked out. That's exactly what I was going to suggest - have your primary drop info inside scope caps or taped to the stock.

The interesting question is what are you building? 6.5/284 from the other thread? What action? Do you have a barrel already chambered?

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    I'd only have the one (long range) load in Strelok, the rounds in the magazine would be the true zero. Up to 300M - shoot normal. If required to do for something a bit further away (which I'd normally dial anyway) the procedure would be to single load a round, dial elevation (and windage if the offset requires) before shooting . ..
    It definitely is doable, I run two different lots of ammo in my 22 and two different loads in my creedmoor, the key is to just not get confused or forget which is which.
    Thankfully the difference in both case is a max of .2mils between the two (.2mils high in 22, .1high and .1right in CM) so even if I do get confused it's close enough to not make much difference.

What is your current load you are running and what would your long range load be?
    You might find that they shoot the same POI or be close enough anyway.

I think fine for people under 60 years old

Smart arses!

I'm thinking I'll build a 6.5-284 using the featherweight bartlein barrel and short Savage action and stock I have on hand, with a 4-24 Delta on top. The "new" 6.5-284 Norma chambering/ammo won't quite fit in a short magazine. So I'll do up a shorter "everyday 300M" load and a "long range honker" that'll have to be single fed. They might shoot pretty much same POI at 100M but the zero offset function should take most of the woe out if they don't.

The "300M" load will be a slightly more modest velocity and pressure (I'm thinking snotty 6.5x55 territory) which will be good for barrel life as 90%+ of shots made will be done with it.

Further thoughts guys?

GWH
    I'd do it the other way around, make sure it was perfectly zeroed for the longer range load, thats the one that really matters, you will likely find that the short range load will be close but off a little, which wont matter at closer ranges.

I do exactly this with the rifle that i hunt the most with, my M7 7Saum. I run a 162 Amax load for longer shots (most my shots) which is single feed. The scope is zeroed for these, then i run a 150gr SGK mag fit load for walking in or stalking etc, any shot inside 200 yards i took with that load is going to hit close enough to the point of aim that it will do the job.
    Gibo likes this.