Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Zero stop

Zero stop

How important is it to choose a scope with zero stop? Does it have the potential to mess things up when you return to your sighting zero if you dont have the zero stop?

hey yogi as long as you know where zero is ie notes or click count writen down it shouldnt be a problem but it is nice to be able to just turn it back to zero
    kiwi39 likes this.

I would rate it as 'desirable' rather than 'necessity'.

-You could muck it up, but usually you are returning to zero under less pressure than when you were 'dialling-up', so you can be a bit careful.

-many scopes have turrets that can be reset to zero, so you only have to turn back to zero each time. (as opposed to true "zero stop" which is a mechanical stop at the same position).

Hope that helps.

So if the scope doesnt have a zero stop, then does it have a larger dial up range? The leupold mark 4 doesnt have a zero stop but has a larger dial range compared to the swarovski z5 which it does have the zero stop. Or is this due to the 30mm tube vs 25mm?

It's because swarovski have tacked an afterthought turret onto a hunting scope whereas the Mk4 is made for it

Quote Originally Posted by yogi View Post
    So if the scope doesnt have a zero stop, then does it have a larger dial up range?
    Comparing apples with apples- No.

The zero stop will just stop you from accessing the bottom of the elevation range below your zero. (it will stop you form 'dialling down').

Apart from situations with a longer range zero (say 300yds) I would think it would be rare for people to dial below their zero.

Iv never found it to be any real advantage. Competition shooting may be different
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Thanks for the replies guys. I am slowly narrowing a scope choice down for the 7mm rem mag sendero. Possibly go for a mark 4 4.5-14x50 but not sure about the 50mm front lens being to big and heavy for hunting. maybe a vx3 4-4.5x40?

I reckon you won't really notice the weight difference.Nothing wrong with either options, the price difference is significant between the Mk4 & VX3! I'd go the 50mm.
    Blaser likes this.

The mark 4 would be built stronger and have better dials wouln't it or not?

Hi Yogi, I have a Leupold VX6 3-18x50. I consider it to be the best scope I have owned to "look through". I put a CDS turret ( simply a MOA one not linked to any load so I could determine the drop adjustment for myself, and its simply brilliant on my 6.5x55 out to about 600 yards. Its accurate but 600 is probably morally too far to shoot a deer; 400 better max for the 6.5x55 IMO ) BUT it hasn't got a turret that moves "up and Down" externally to show you a verner with lines on it for each turn so I got a zero stop addition from Leupold. What a heap of afterthought crap! Have to glue the little ring inside the CDS dial with two sided tape ....lasted about two days so I glued it in place with epoxy....have to be very neat and don't use too much. It now works fine if the CDS turret does not come loose!. There are 3 little grub screws that hold it on to a "post" which does the adjustment. The post is barely 9mm in diameter and isn't large enough to fully support the CDS in the field...it comes loose ! Quite frankly it is a very cheap afterthought and not up to the standard of other scopes of the same price. A mate has a VXR , the turrets are higher but at least it doesn't need a zero stop as it has the one turn height lines so you can tell which turn your on....I like that better in the absence of a proper zero stop.
    Bernie likes this.

Your mate Vxr, is it the patrol 3-9x40?

Leupold 3-9x40 VX-R Patrol 30mm Riflescope

Hello!
    It is only my 50 cents. IMO zero stop turrets are important for those who shot "tactical" mutiple targets in different long range scenarios and need a "quick and easy" return to zero. Fair enough if you "kind of lazy" or too busy to work out your tactical turrets zero. Another option in scope are the Vortex Viper HS and PST, the HS has the "basic" model with covered turrets but fully marked and designed to be dialed if you wish, all of those scopes line have a system where you adjust the "almost" zero stop with "chins"( I am sorry but not sure if it is how spell), the little things are placed inside of the turret system in a way where you can not go past a full revolutions bellow your zero if you set properly. So, this means, every time you coming back down to you zero you may go past it but, never a full rotation so you can just go up few clicks and you "sorted". Many people think the turrets are to high but as you "learn" how to work and carry your rifle and scope you will just love it. IMO the glass is great and the eye relieve is too thought.
    Check Vortex website or YouTube about Vortex Viper HS and variations and Viper PST.

Hope it give another perspective and option.

Please, no offence to those like me who has a "kind of" zero stop or full zero stop turrets ether those who are looking for these options.
    Last edited by PERRISCICABA; 09-09-2014 at 08:15 AM.

You could also look at the vortex hst that has recently been released. Decent optics at a decent price.

*The "chins" that were referred to in the above post are useful little "shims" that stop you from going back past or below zero.

its very important in my opinion, its worth every cent
    even more so if your scope has multiple turns
    most on here will of forgot to wind back and missed by a metre or so and if they say they havent they are lying