Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20Likes
  • 11 Post By Forestry
  • 2 Post By dannyb
  • 2 Post By Forestry
  • 1 Post By Forestry
  • 1 Post By craigc
  • 3 Post By Forestry

Thread: 284 and ELDX strike again

284 and ELDX strike again

Took the 284 for a South Island walk last week. We 4WD into a big block surrounded by DOC land and saw quite a few animals driving in including a decent boar that disappeared into a tunnel in the scrub. He popped out about 100m further up the hill on the move and the only rifle ready was a Ruger 270. Range about 280m and with an average rest I managed to drop the pig but not properly. Digging out the 284 win I felt a bit better with a familiar rifle so I climbed up the hill through blackberry and matagouri and when I got close the pig stood up and eyed me….he was pretty big so I wacked a 162 ELDX into the base of the neck. I found the bullet the next day perfectly mushroomed on the off side and it’s the first one that hasn’t gone through so the pigs shield must be tough.

Name:  4527D55F-2EE2-402B-8871-08433A952253.jpeg
Views: 666
Size:  1.72 MB

The next day I saw a few deer but got exited when another boar showed up. He moved behind some scrub up a hill so I found a good rock and with my Swazi anorak over the rock got ready. A quick range at 200yards and a few clicks on the VX3 and I was ready. He poked his head out and one shot later never moved an inch. Decent exit and some more good pork

The last morning we found a mob of reds getting some warm sun after a very hard frost overnight. Narrowing the range to 250 yards we got set up. I lined up a nice fat one and dropped it on the spot. Unfortunately the hill was steep and it took a while criss crossing though Manuka scrub to find it. Momentum had taken it down to the creek.

Name:  FFF926A7-0158-460C-94B8-7D3DBB25B2BA.jpeg
Views: 874
Size:  7.52 MB

Final evening was goat control time and to be honest there are way too many in this area. After seeing heaps over the trip I only saw 3 that evening but got them all.

A good trip with great company. Deer numbers are pretty high so we didn’t feel bad filling the freezer with a few hinds and left the young stags alone.

The 284 with 162 ELDX are great and continue to deliver as a combo if I do my part. I’ve only got a few left with the 760 loads and will move onto the Reloader 16 batch next which are a bit quicker at about 2800fps
    buzzman, AMac, Dreamer and 8 others like this.

Cool pics and nice write up, I've had reat success with the eldx at all ranges from 20-400+ yards in 270win and wsm very handy pills indeed.
    I'll be loading the 150gn eldx in my latte sipping 7mm08 soon as I get set up again and imagine they will preform just as well.
    Looks like you had a great trip
    Are you zeroed at 100 yards ? I noticed in your story you said you had to dial for a 200 yard shot ? I've always zeroed my rifles for 200 yards but that's just me, and I'm just curious ?
    chainsaw and Micky Duck like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Cool pics and nice write up, I've had reat success with the eldx at all ranges from 20-400+ yards in 270win and wsm very handy pills indeed.
    I'll be loading the 150gn eldx in my latte sipping 7mm08 soon as I get set up again and imagine they will preform just as well.
    Looks like you had a great trip
    Are you zeroed at 100 yards ? I noticed in your story you said you had to dial for a 200 yard shot ? I've always zeroed my rifles for 200 yards but that's just me, and I'm just curious ?
    Hi @dannyb

I’ve started two threads by mistake

Like you I always used to sight in at 200 until I got the dial on the scope and now back to 100 but I walk around with it clicked up 2inches after a mistake below, so back to 200….if that makes sense

I missed a deer on the trip trying to head shoot it at 250 but without dialing it up. Great rest but shooting about 3inch low and I simply forgot to adjust. Two lessons - for me I never headshoot so broke my rules and also from now on I’ll leave it clicked up so if I forget to dial I’m ok out to 250…..

My bushpig 7mm08 is just 2inch high at 100 and I don’t much around. Nothing long range and point and shoot (in the shoulder)
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

so where did 270 round connect with pig???? he looks like a hornary old boy indeed,funny Ive never had issues killing pigs with rifle other than 22lr...30/30 303 270 308 223 7.62x39mm have all worked fine...shot a few with 12ga and solids too...buckshot didnt work well at all for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so where did 270 round connect with pig???? he looks like a hornary old boy indeed,funny Ive never had issues killing pigs with rifle other than 22lr...30/30 303 270 308 223 7.62x39mm have all worked fine...shot a few with 12ga and solids too...buckshot didnt work well at all for me.
    Too far back…..it wasn’t the rifle/Calibre fault but mine
    Micky Duck likes this.

Great stuff mate. I’ve got over 500 a-max left for my longer barreled .284 and with the CDS set for that I’ll keep using them.
    I’m using 150g eldx in my other .284, like you, I rate them! 👍
    Forestry likes this.

Looking over my reloading desk I found the ELDx. Not bad after going through the rough part of a boar. Close to 80% retained.
    Name:  CF011DA1-D663-4393-B691-B88B78CF0D4A.jpeg
Views: 378
Size:  2.84 MB
    Tahr, Mooseman and Micky Duck like this.

Stag (red) I shot this roar with my 284 was with 150ELDX at about 120 yards. It was very close to dark and stag right on the bush edge. I thought he was broadside on but turns out he was slightly quartering towards us. My shot placement was slightly forward of the crease so ended up drilling him thru both shoulders. Found the “pill” well jacket only, resting under skin on the off side. Complete core separation. He ran about 30 yards and keeled over. Given this experience not sure I’d shoulder shoot a big red at close range with this combo. 100yds + great. Under that I’d prefer a less frangible pill.