Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: .303 enfield sniper hunt

Circa 1978 I was on the last Sniper Instructors Course at Waiouru to use the the No4 Mk1 T. I recall my rifle was made around 1936 - it was one of the trial No4's which were hand made and subsequently requisitioned for sniper use when WW2 broke out. It had a Mk32 (Mk 1 ?) scope which was one of the early ones with less fine adjustments than the later models. I think they were originally designed for fitting to the BREN but then adapted for the No4 sniper. Notwithstanding the fact it was around 42 years old it still shot well - part of the badge qualification shoot was moving targets at 500 meters and stationary at 600 which they all capable of doing. The only problem with mine was the scope which was inclined to be temperamental past 400 meters. I actually qualified using someone else's rifle with the finer adjustments. Great old weapon which also served well as a staff when climbing steep hills ! The Parker Hale Mk82 with Khales ZF scope that replaced it was a better weapon but didn't work quite so well as a staff...

Beautiful to see. thanks grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    Out of curiosity what sort of accuracy do you get with this set up and what does the rifle with scope weigh ? I am into early sporting rifles but have never gone down the military route but the more I see them , the more interest I have .
    with 50s cac fmj i can get around 1.5 moa and sometimes 1moa on a good day. It ain't no target rifle. Total rifle weight would be around 11lb, but feels like 20lb at the end of a long day on the hill!
    Moa Hunter and Lucky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyd View Post
    with 50s cac fmj i can get around 1.5 moa and sometimes 1moa on a good day. It ain't no target rifle. Total rifle weight would be around 11lb, but feels like 20lb at the end of a long day on the hill!
    Nothing wrong with that , I hear you , everything feels heavy at the end of the day now LOL .

Quote Originally Posted by inozz View Post
    Beautiful to see. thanks grandpamac.
    Thanks for that @inozz,
    The rifle belonged to a departed friend. The barrel was badly pitted but shot really well. Fortunately I had an as new no4 barrel that I picked up for a pittance about fifty years ago and even more fortunately it shot just as well. The rifle weighs 3.7 kg including scope. The scope is an old Lyman 2.5 power. Light loads with the 174 grain Hornady round nose are used that don't need FL sizing. Even use my friends Lee Loader for some of the handloading steps.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    bumblefoot likes this.