Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Black - The New Camo

Black - The New Camo

The goal for summer was simple - go old school. Shoot a deer on public land, in the bush, wearing a black singlet and stubbies. No need to cover up every bright white-boy pre-Christmas tee shirt tan limb. The black singlet selection was straight forward - back of the draw, 6 year old warehouse $9.95 special. The go to for crappy weekend jobs. The stubbies, as it turned out, were a technical fail. Turns out chaffing is a very real thing. So - Huntech shorts for the win. Well, close enough.

Grunting up the steep main ridge a few hours in, things weren’t going to plan. The wind had streamed down into the valley on the walk in, swirling 360 degrees and stuffing up stalking. A couple of heavy weeks at work and an early start - the slog was bearing down on me. Quietly, the urge to hurl was building. “Only twenty minutes to camp” I thought. I can make it. Off with the long sleeved fleece top, releasing trapped heat, and revealing the mighty black singlet. Kai, my faithful indicating dog, seemed suitably impressed and enthusiastically bounded up the steep track.

The crisp wind was heaving down the slope into our faces as we crested the ridge into the grass covered punga belt. We’d spooked deer here before, like the one feeding ten paces in front of us. A quick weave with the red dot around a sapling in front of us, shoulder locked, the Browning barked. Down she went. They are such graceful creatures.

And there it was. Goal achieved. And more importantly, the scientific fact proven. beyond all reasonable doubt.

Black is the new camo.

Name:  A.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  5.45 MB
    Christmas bbq sorted.

Name:  B.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  4.61 MB
    Hung for a day skin on in the cold wind, set beautifully.
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Trout and 24 others like this.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

Nice one, cool read.

How about trying long legged jocks....I have not worn standard jocks in my day to day life for near on 20 years and use a slightly longer pair for hunting....saves the chaffee mate

Hamish

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck, RUMPY and 25/08 IMP like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

beautiful
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Cool story

Good effort and goal achieved!

I wear CCC rugby shorts pretty much for everything except parties, chaffing has never been a problem.
    Happy Jack.

Macpac Marino boxers. Bees knees. Back packed around Europe in them 2019 in record Temps. No chafe. Last 5 days before wash (with daily shower lol). Only jocks I wear now.
    HILLBILLYHUNTERS and RV1 like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

very excellent.

Gkp
    Nice man. Sounds like my normal entire.
    Sweet BLR

I thought you meant a real black singlet, made of wool like the old days(and these days for some of us).
    BRADS likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

RV1
    Running shorts with integral Lycra or spandex liner shorts/tights are the bees knees for walking in the hills. No chafing but still short, lightweight and quick to dry.

Eh it ain't old school until you load from the muzzle.

I haven't worn camo in I don't know how long, shot one deer with my flintlock from under 20 yards this year. I'll give the hunting industry one thing, they've done a great marketing job convincing people they need it!

Good work on the freezer filler.
    Black Bear likes this.

Go the aimpoint,we should start a club,..good work,I found the flies an issue on Friday with the deer I shot so skinned out the quarters and hung them in a tree similar to the way you did it,once cooled enough to bag up I headed home.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Nice hunt, with a good load of meat to top it off.

@Snoppernator I concurr, exactly what I was wearing the other night when I banged my two over. Black singlet and stubbies. Not one of those old woollen bastards though.