Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree64Likes
  • 50 Post By Tahr
  • 2 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By trooper90
  • 2 Post By Huk
  • 1 Post By Rusky
  • 1 Post By Trout
  • 2 Post By Black Bear
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By camenzie

Thread: Boys night out

Boys night out

Brian and I went for a hunt last night in a lovely area with a great bush line to hunt and a lot of variety. Ideal for an evening hunt.
    We split up like we do, each going to a different area.

Name:  IMG_7844.jpeg
Views: 660
Size:  3.14 MB

It was late before I saw the first deer. There didn't seem to be as many around as usual. Maybe 'cos of the cold southerly wind.
    At 8pm a big hind appeared - 'cos I was shooting for a charity anything was going to be good - she was 425 yards. I umm'd and ahh'd over whether I should get closer but the light was fading and I would need to cross a couple of creeks and gullies to get to the next shooting spot. So I decided to take 425 yard shot.

There was no sign of a "fawn" (they are big and weanable now) but by preference I would have liked to have got that too.

So I lined the hind up (4.5moa up) in the 4-24 Delta. I was probably on about 20 power. At the shot from the 270wsm she dropped on the spot, and so she should have being hit by a 117grn Hammer bullet at 3,450fps mv. I got quickly back onto the binos and there was what I thought was a younger deer, but not her fawn, 20 yards up from the hind. It copped it too.

It took about 20 minutes to get to them, the hind first.

Name:  IMG_7845.jpeg
Views: 610
Size:  4.60 MB

Then to the second one. Goodness me, it was her "fawn" and it was a big lump of a thing. Maybe the biggest Ive seen at this time of the year.

Name:  IMG_7847.jpeg
Views: 611
Size:  4.30 MB

Name:  IMG_7849.jpeg
Views: 600
Size:  4.99 MB

I was now in a spot of bother because I was an hour from the truck and it was steep up hill. And 2 deer to cart out less some bits (yay for messy shoulder shots). So I called Brian.
    He hadn't got anything so said he would come to help. By the time he arrived I had the meat boned out and we were ready to go. It only took an hour to get to the truck but we had good loads on and it was steep. I always have a feeling of accomplishment when I dump my pack at the vehicle.

So ended an eventful evening hunt. No stags seen. I heard one half hearted roar as we climbed back to the truck in the dark. I crawled into bed at 2am.
    DAF, Nathan F, 7mmsaum and 47 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Caretaker
    Always great to get out for a walk
    Tahr and dannyb like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

that indeed is a huge fawn.....bet its tasty . great work you two.
    Tahr likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Nice spot good shooting go the .270wsm
    Tahr and Longrun like this.

Huk
    Wow great going, you 2 are machines
    Tahr and Shearer like this.

That's a big fawn alright. Will be good eating that's for sure.

Ahh yes the dumping of a heavy pack with venison at the car/quad and a cold beverage to follow is something that cant be beaten.
    Tahr likes this.

That fawn must have been on steriods.Good effect on the carry back.
    Tahr likes this.

Well done old fulla and Brian . There is no way that fawn would be going to charity , would go in my belly. gunna catch up with you soon buddy.
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bear View Post
    Well done old fulla and Brian . There is no way that fawn would be going to charity , would go in my belly. gunna catch up with you soon buddy.
    Hah! You are correct. The hind for charity. The 'lil one for Bruce and Brian
    Hope all is well with you.
    nor-west and Micky Duck like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

back at the carpark, taking off a heavy pack and the boots, nothing better. good stuff.
    Tahr likes this.

Nice bit of shooting Bruce, my son in Canada has just got a Tikka in 270 WSM so looking forward to seeing how it shoots. You guys sure do carry some good loads of meat you really do well.