Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: A cautionary tale

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Just ordered mine!
    Wont leave home without it from here on in.

Anyone found a good belt pouch to suit the KTi unit?

HNTMAD - ever thought of doing a leather belt pouch for the KTi unit, may be with a Mercerator knife slot at well??
    A couple of belt hip photos... Good question though about a more sturdy pouch.. Time I started to look around for one.

Name:  Pouch-hip-belt-loop.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  74.7 KBName:  Pouch-hip-belt-loop-sd.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  56.4 KB

Had a guy laugh at me the other day , as I had my rucksack , which has a space blanket, chemical candles, first aid kit, head torch, water bladder,whistle etc, we were only going out for a couple of hours, 7 hours later I got back to the truck, all because the compass heading taken was wrong ( don,t ask) , tomorrow I will get a PLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Had a guy laugh at me the other day , as I had my rucksack , which has a space blanket, chemical candles, first aid kit, head torch, water bladder,whistle etc, we were only going out for a couple of hours, 7 hours later I got back to the truck, all because the compass heading taken was wrong ( don,t ask) , tomorrow I will get a PLB.
    Have had ppl laugh at me with the amount of stuff I take, usual trip is 45Min in and the same out, take enuff to be out the night had a few amtes thankful I carried so much
    Pengy and Pixie Z like this.

@223nut good man, plan for the worst hope for best.

I smuggled a beer into the hospital for Alex on his last day there (Monday), luckily for him he ended up in a ward that happened to be occupied by a couple of other hunters, so he could have a yarn with like-minded people to pass the time, though I doubt he'll get to enjoy that beer for a while given all the meds he's on. I think the issue with the PLB's is the hunting/shooting/outdoor stores can't buy them in the bulk amounts that the like of the boating and technology places can, so they can't compete with their prices.
    Pixie Z likes this.

I doubt it @tommygun.
    Only an educated guess on my part, but I reckon H& F would have just as much buying power as any retail group in NZ.
    tetawa, Steve123 and CooeeBay like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I doubt it @tommygun.
    Only an educated guess on my part, but I reckon H& F would have just as much buying power as any retail group in NZ.
    Fair point, I suppose having 32 stores to fill means they can buy a few more in, but the ones we've stocked at work, as with the GPS units, have had tiny margins.

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    Fair point, I suppose having 32 stores to fill means they can buy a few more in, but the ones we've stocked at work, as with the GPS units, have had tiny margins.
    Too many clip the ticket.
    Pengy likes this.

I smuggled a beer into the hospital for Alex on his last day there (Monday), luckily for him he ended up in a ward that happened to be occupied by a couple of other hunters, so he could have a yarn with like-minded people to pass the time, though I doubt he'll get to enjoy that beer for a while given all the meds he's on. I think the issue with the PLB's is the hunting/shooting/outdoor stores can't buy them in the bulk amounts that the like of the boating and technology places can, so they can't compete with their prices.
    Actually I would expect it is the other way around as most PLBs are used on land and not water in NZ. Boating would be more an EPIRB than PLB. Always happy to help out as prices are down to the $320 mark nowadays. @CooeeBay
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CooeeBay View Post
    Actually I would expect it is the other way around as most PLBs are used on land and not water in NZ. Boating would be more an EPIRB than PLB. Always happy to help out as prices are down to the $320 mark nowadays. @CooeeBay
    I know, aren't EPIRB's also registered to a vessel?

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    People are always laughing till it's them in the shit. I'd prefer to be safe than sorry. I just look on it as fitness training the 3 day trips.
    Beaker and 223nut like this.

If they laugh at that, maybe not the right people to be in the bush with.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

I know, aren't EPIRB's also registered to a vessel?
    EPIRBs by nature are linked to a vessel however in the registration database is the beacon owners name and address. The vessel is added as a link to it containing all the vessel specifications, color size etc. This info is then used for search & rescue and Coast Guard to know what to look for. You can however use the EPIRB for on land use i.e 4x4, Campervan, even commercial machinery. I've sold them to outback road gangs during road repairs. You just need to ensure you update the rego database. The last thing you want is the vessel still linked to it and you are in the 4x4 in the mountains.

Main feature between EPIRB & PLB: EPIRB must operate continuously for a min of 48 hours (KTi is 72) - PLB is 24hrs: EPIRB floats upright unaided with antenna out of water, PLB floats but not upright unless handheld or lifejacket mounted in water: EPIRB much bigger and heavier than PLB.

Dont some epirbs have inflatable life boats in the same package?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Dont some epirbs have inflatable life boats in the same package?
    That is what the RB stands for in EPIRB Gibo. Most think it is "rescue beacon" but you know it is "rubber boat".
    308 likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms