Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Close.....but no cigar!!!!!

Least ya saw something and a running shots ok if you have clear line of sight imo

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    Scouser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    i amazed myself that i turned into somebody i didnt think i was....
    Nothing wrong with it, it's the animal in you. Been happening since well before man took on Sabre Tooth's
    Scouser likes this.

Hard luck on the Red Scouser. Every trip out hunting you learn new things, which is good. We all have/will missed a shot on a deer (or two) at some stage, all part of the learning curve.

As stated above, its good to get out and practice shooting, anything from targets, cans, rabbits, anything really with your main hunting rifle. It helps to build up muscle memory and familiarise yourself with your boomstick. Gives you one less thing to think about when you have to make a snap shot, until you get to the stage where all you think is..."fuck! its a deer! fucking shoot it!" as you so poetically stated.
    Scouser likes this.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Thats not a fail Scouser least you were out there doing it and not firing blanks
    Scouser likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

hey, if it was too easy would it be any fun? Its times like those that keep me coming back for more!
    Scouser likes this.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Given time and practice, its possible to place good kill shots on running game with confidence. If the North Auckland branch of the DA ever get the Running Boar range going again, it's absolutely the best thing to build confidence and get dialled in on moving game. I never thought about shooting anything on the run until I'd shot 50mRB and 10mRT competitively for a while and now I won't hesitate, providing, of course, it's safe.

For those whose local DA branch has a functioning 50mRB range, get stuck in! In Europe, many countries won't let you have a hunting permit until you've shot a specific score on their running game target. Some are at 100m and you have to get two shots away during the targets run. Quite challenging and a good way of ensuring a reasonable skill level is reached before the hunter goes after real game.

Good stuff though Scouser, you'll nail one next time
    Scouser likes this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Absolutely not a fail Scouser - that's bush hunting.

Now you are on your way you've found something that works (got a chance) and something that didn't (missed) so it's just an ongoing process of keeping what works and changing what doesn't.

Good advice from Bill and others. First one I got was a snapshot that was pure instinct from really close. After it's head had exploded I realised that the -clear- flip covers on the scope were still on.duh.

Even though it's hard on the knees I find one of the things that works for me is to crouch down and take a look from about knee-high - sometimes I am rewarded with the sight of a few legs sticking down from a clump of ponga fern that I wouldn't have seen from 6foot up.
    keep at it - the harder ya work, the luckier ya get
    Scouser likes this.

Unlucky this time Scouser. Chin up, and back out there young man!!!
    Scouser likes this.

deerhuntergatherer
    Good on ya mate, true about the buck fever and it never goes away , you just have different levels of dealing with it, speed and confidence comes with experience, in my opinion a closed bolt uncocked is the safest way to hunt but sounds like your aware of your buddy and are onto it ,
    Scouser likes this.

man that running boar sounds like the ticket
    we have to practice on boring old rabbits with our 22s

Big thanks for all the words of advice and encouragement.....theres no stopping me now, im hooked.....big time

im not dwelling on the miss, rather the fact that i finally 'lined one up'.....
    sako75, Bryan, 308 and 1 others like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

that is a great attitude
    Scouser likes this.

just remember where you saw it, winter deer dont move round too much, then watch to make sure the wind is in your face and stalk in slowly to that area stopping and looking more than walking
    Scouser likes this.

[QUOTE=phillipgr;149573]I bet the misses loves it, wait till you finally get one!

Ermmm, if your suggesting what i think your suggesting thats between 'mrs scouser' and myself young man!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt