Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: COVID Hunt !

COVID Hunt !

With our family Christmas having been disrupted due to COVID sickness I found myself in the unbelievable position of having a leave pass to head for the hills as soon as Xmas lunch was dusted.
    That’s where my luck came to a screaming halt. Next minute I’m bed ridden with the shit myself. Merry Xmas. I’d promised to take junior on an adventure and he was climbing the walls. Not feeling like walking anywhere put pay to all usual spots. I needed a plan b.
    Studying the topo map and doing a bit of research a plan was hatched. Still feeling like shit but even more over being house bound we loaded the quad on the trailer , threw some gear on board and hit the road yesterday afternoon. 4 hours later had us in a promising looking spot on a mint evening with a fly camp set up. We headed up stream into the wind and had not gone 20 mins before 3 deer were spotted. They were 900 yds away. We continued to stalk closer closing the gap to just under 400.
    Meanwhile they had fed out of sight. Junior not impressed. We had done everything right and I was confident no deer were spooked. We found a nice flat elevated rock to lie on and continued glassing. It wasn’t long before the swaros picked up a stag on the bush edge bedded down chewing his cud. He was well within range. I had him lined up but he didn’t want to move. Meanwhile mr 8 with the binos was getting more and more impatient letting me know how many times over he could have shot the stag etc etc
    Name:  7136EA0F-D2FA-46C8-9650-7AF2E8A0DE0A.jpeg
Views: 504
Size:  299.5 KB
    After 10 minutes of this I was over it. Just wanting to hit the sleeping bad tbh. So I lined up and regrettably let strip. At the shot he lurched to his feet and took off downhill. The sound of a solid hit drifted back. Suddenly he appeared again wobbly on his feet and tipped over.
    Something didn’t feel right to me. When we got over there the stag was trying to regain his feet. A quick shot under the eye put his lights out for good. This will be the last deer I shoot that’s sitting. It must have been the way he had his leg tucked under him. Basically I hit him where I aimed. The bullet went through the chest travelled the length of the body and trying to exit through one of his rear legs and smashed the femur in two. No wonder he was crook.
    Name:  0E647BBE-89EE-4361-B928-9F0F4E4CFBAE.jpeg
Views: 506
Size:  628.1 KB
    Anyway the boy thought it was still the best thing ever. After a few photos I took every scrap of meat I could with camp being 20 mins away. Just as we were finishing up two more deer walked within 40m of us in the half light before realising the danger and bolting.
    In the last ten minutes of light we seen 5 others on the walk back to camp. Lucky for them I was not up to much more.
    So meat hung up. Fire raging. Billy boiling. Kid fed and watered. Up at sandfly o. Lock this morning we had the meat boned out and we’re home in time for lunch. Good overnight hunt with lessons learnt.
    7mmsaum, Tahr, madjon_ and 31 others like this.

Good hunt , sure beats sitting at home feeling miserable.
    Nathan F likes this.

Just had a good dose myself. No way that I would have been going hunting but.

Headaches, nausea, no energy, night sweats. Slept most of it off luckily.

recovered now thank god!

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Good hunt , sure beats sitting at home feeling miserable.
    Hoping to pack in somewhere for new year. We will see
    Tahr and Mooseman like this.

I think the best medicine for covit is to read storys like this.Well done Nathan and junior.
    Nathan F and Tahr like this.

Good stuff, well done.
    Nathan F likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

hope you feel better soon, and congrats to junior !!!
    Nathan F likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tac a1 View Post
    Just had a good dose myself. No way that I would have been going hunting but.

Headaches, nausea, no energy, night sweats. Slept most of it off luckily.

recovered now thank god!
    never got it but the vaccines sure f..ed me up!

beautiful looking spot. enjoy the venison,be sure to get junior onto cooking some of it...frypan outside on gas ring and buttered bread,salt n pepper type deal.he looks like he appreciates good grub.one mouthful of venison sammy from deer he helped carry out (he did carry some of it I hope) and he will be hooked for life.
    Nathan F likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

A little Ford, couldn’t miss who his father is!

Making memories, great experience despite the illness.
    Nathan F likes this.

Haha, I thought to myself a while ago, if I get Covid again I’ll just go hunting for a week. Isolate in the bush, sounded like a great plan. Then I got covid again, all I wanted to do is sleep!
    Good on you for getting out there with the young fella.
    Nathan F, Tahr and Trout like this.

Superb-looking country. Enjoyed the write-up and photos.
    Nathan F likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stag View Post
    A little Ford, couldn’t miss who his father is!

Making memories, great experience despite the illness.
    @Stag He's been reading pack n rifle and Mr Holden is flavour of the month at present. Mad on it. Bit like Flynn I suspect !

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    @Stag He's been reading pack n rifle and Mr Holden is flavour of the month at present. Mad on it. Bit like Flynn I suspect !
    Cool. Did you go for the New Years hunt?
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Cool. Did you go for the New Years hunt?
    No we made the most of the fine weather and got a couple of paddocks tidied up. Going for a wee look tonight at a spot. Might take the .223
    Trout likes this.