Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree39Likes
  • 35 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By RUMPY
  • 2 Post By RUMPY

Thread: A day on the coal face

A day on the coal face

0430 is an early wake up compared to most of my winter hunts but today I was taking my son Ryan on a tahr hunt and wanted to be well up the hill as the darkness evolved into daylight.

Name:  20230714_071445.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  1.54 MB

One cool thing seen was a line of about 30 starlink satellites cruising across the sky as the sun was starting to brighten the eastern horizon.

In the planned spot right on daylight we hid in the scrub and started scanning the landscape for any sign of animals.

Name:  20230714_074928.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  2.42 MB

Nothing seen we moved over the ridge and glassed the other side. After a few minutes a couple of tahr were seen across on the opposite face. With a bit more looking the group grew to five animals.

We decided to leave these ones for now and see if there was anything closer on our side of the valley. A couple of hundred metres further we could see the whole basin and only saw one red way off in the distance so decided to pursue the tahr seen earlier.

Snaking our way down the ridge in the tall tussock we moved closer and closer while periodically checking through the binos to ensure the tahr were calm and still feeding.

At one point they got very nervous about something but they weren't looking in our direction so we sat quietly until they returned to their morning feast.

A little further and we arrived at a large rock we had decided would be close enough and got set up for a shot. Had forgotten the range finder but estimated the range around 200m.

With a nice rest and Ryan watching on the binos I lined up on one of the nannies but it moved behind some scrub and I could only see one other animal. Moving the crosshairs, I squeezed off the shot and the tahr dropped then rolled down the steep face a few metres.

Down the face, we crossed the creek, dropped our packs and climbed the 50 odd metres up to where the tahr had come to rest. It wasn't till now that we confirmed it was a young bull which wasn't our preferred choice but it was still meat on the deck.

Name:  20230714_104256.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  3.50 MB

Rolling and dragging it back to our packs we worked through the butchering with me showing Ryan how to break it down, he had a go at skinning, and we boned out the legs to save some weight on the walk out.

Name:  20230714_111221.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  3.17 MB

Name:  20230714_111207.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  4.25 MB

A quick lunch while the meat cooled, we then packed up and walked up over the ridge and back out to the truck. Arrived home at 3.30, 11 hours after waking up.

Best part of the day was when I asked Ryan how he rated the hunt and he replied "10 out of 10. Best hunt I've ever been on "
    Nathan F, 7mmsaum, Tahr and 32 others like this.

Walking my rifle
    Well done mate, be good once mine is old enough so i can do the same with him
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

It’s great when your son comes up with the 10/10 call. Nice job!

DJS
    Great day out, and cool memories made with the young fella!

awesome job mate....hope the young fella was using his own knife LOL.
    I recognise YOUR knife in photo.....
    Last edited by Micky Duck; 15-07-2023 at 05:40 PM.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

When does he get to pull the trigger? Nice day hunt too.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    awesome job mate....hope the young fella was using his own knife LOL.
    I recognise YOUR knife in photo.....
    Yes we took HIS knife and he got to cut and skin with it.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    When does he get to pull the trigger? Nice day hunt too.
    He's shot a couple of wallabies with the 223. He's inquired about having a go on the 270. Will have to get him on the range one day soon.

Found a 300 shell wedged in the same rock I shot from and wondered if it was one of yours.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    He's shot a couple of wallabies with the 223. He's inquired about having a go on the 270. Will have to get him on the range one day soon.

Found a 300 shell wedged in the same rock I shot from and wondered if it was one of yours.
    You didn't provide enough photos for me to identify the spot, but in saying that I save as many shells as I can.

@SmokeyJason, there's a bit of a clue in the title of the story. About 40 minutes drive from home.
    Trout and Micky Duck like this.

Gotcha.