Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Deer in Strange Places.

Hybrid View

Deer in Strange Places.

Greetings all,
    I was walking back from my casual sight checking range behind our house a couple of days ago and spotted what looked like some small cloven hoof prints in the dust on the track. Walking through the trees closer to the house I heard a crash and put it down to a branch falling. Last evening however I walked past the back door, looked out and spotted something take a couple of bounds and disappear. I got am impression of a white bum. It was too big to be a hare so what was it? A deer? I have seen a deer on our block a long time ago but it was an escapee from down the road. I have also heard some say, perhaps a little more than half jokingly, that the only places in Hawkes Bay that there are no deer are the main streets of Napier and Hastings. We are 20 k's away from either of those.
    So what say you people? Any stories of Sika turning up in strange places in Hawkes Bay?
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

today in NZ there there will be and are Deer turning up in all sorts of places - on the outskirts of major city's like southern Auckland -northern parts of Wellington - enjoy the bonanza hunters - deer in NZ in many places are where ya find them - just hunt legally and enjoy - we have the best hunting now for 40 years - get into it

I keep waiting for them to turn up in a bit of native planting across from my house. Can't be long now

Taken from the DoC smoko room window. 🤣🤣
    Name:  IMG_1366.JPG
Views: 516
Size:  453.2 KB
    Makros, Pengy, 308 and 13 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I shot a sika spiker up behind Tutira 7 years ago when I was a ranger at Boundary Stream.Presumably it made the crossing from Tataraakina.
    I also shot one up Taruarau Bivi last November and saw a couple more too mixed in with the reds.

So they are moving around a bit.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    I also shot one up Taruarau Bivi last November and saw a couple more too mixed in with the reds.
    I was bumping into Sika quite regularly out from Lessong Monument off the road to No Mans Hut, just across from Taruarau Biv about 30 years ago.
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    I was bumping into Sika quite regularly out from Lessong Monument off the road to No Mans Hut, just across from Taruarau Biv about 30 years ago.
    Two roars ago I had one single calling well up between Barlow and Sparrowhawk too. They must just be pockety through that north end.

3 that stand out from some years ago but shows how far deer can spread now not to say these were not releases that's a possibility but 1 ) a rusa shot at Tahunga back of Gisborne in seventies 2 ) a sambar shot at Patunamu forest just out of Wairoa again seventies -3 ) a sambar shot on Kiwi road North Taranaki and that not long ago -- all over 150 -200 km from their home territory

On the edges of Stoke there are plenty
    Pengy, Micky Duck and Jus like this.
    Happy Jack.

Anyone bounced any Japs up the Mangahau, Northern Tararuas? when I was shooting for DOC in the 90's we boofed the odd one .The nucleus of a herd apparently kicked out the back of a trailer at the dams in the early 90's
    Ned and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings all,
    I was walking back from my casual sight checking range behind our house a couple of days ago and spotted what looked like some small cloven hoof prints in the dust on the track. Walking through the trees closer to the house I heard a crash and put it down to a branch falling. Last evening however I walked past the back door, looked out and spotted something take a couple of bounds and disappear. I got am impression of a white bum. It was too big to be a hare so what was it? A deer? I have seen a deer on our block a long time ago but it was an escapee from down the road. I have also heard some say, perhaps a little more than half jokingly, that the only places in Hawkes Bay that there are no deer are the main streets of Napier and Hastings. We are 20 k's away from either of those.
    So what say you people? Any stories of Sika turning up in strange places in Hawkes Bay?
    Regards Grandpamac.
    There was and still is a mob of fallow at the bridge on outskirts of Fernhill including a whopper fallow stag from the mob which was killed by Apatu Farms staff on HW50 in the last month.
    Micky Duck and grandpamac like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    There was and still is a mob of fallow at the bridge on outskirts of Fernhill including a whopper fallow stag from the mob which was killed by Apatu Farms staff on HW50 in the last month.
    The number of fallow about here is mental, we've had 3 mva call outs in a month car vs deer all at night on 50, the rut is always the worst time as there moving about.
    There's some impressive stags getting shot at night on the road.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

It has always amazed me that red deer seem to have migrated no further north than the kaimais. Seems to be that the Karangahake river stops them from entering the Coromandel Forest park.

If there were japs up here it would be perfect for them. Lots of Manuka gullies with access to pasture nearby. Clover etc.

Lots of pork up here. No deer but!!
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tac a1 View Post
    It has always amazed me that red deer seem to have migrated no further north than the kaimais. Seems to be that the Karangahake river stops them from entering the Coromandel Forest park.

If there were japs up here it would be perfect for them. Lots of Manuka gullies with access to pasture nearby. Clover etc.

Lots of pork up here. No deer but!!
    Thought there were some Sika released/fell out of a trail on the top of the Kopu Hikuai road years ago, DoC sent hunters and dogs in after them. Yes i agree there would have been a lot of fun on the Paninsula

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwalker View Post
    Thought there were some Sika released/fell out of a trail on the top of the Kopu Hikuai road years ago, DoC sent hunters and dogs in after them. Yes i agree there would have been a lot of fun on the Paninsula
    We live in Whitianga, one of our lads at works dad's used to bowl the odd red up the 309 back in the 90's, long since been clear of them though. There's been a few escapees from our local deer farms but as soon as DOC get a wiff of deer around here its all on with contractors in the hills. The poor goats don't even stand a chance up here with contractors and green rain scheduled for later in the year, the scrub bull's on the other hand are fairly common