Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Dumped 17 pointer

Personally I never did understand you bone collectors..
    I would and have done the same, although I wouldnt leave a scrap of good meet in the bush even if it means multiple trips in and out. The head means nothing to me.
    The word trophy is not one I associate with.. its quality wild food. Im sure there are plenty like me that only hunt to fill the freezer but not so many that would proudly say it to a bunch of guys who think lugging a bunch of pointy bones out of the bush instead of all the meat is going to make them some how more manly or feel like they won a trophy for something amazing they just did.
    I have seen the the opposite many times.. deer missing heads with the entire carcass left in the bush, sometimes untouched other times only missing back straps.. you tell me which is more respectful and moral.

Let the debate begin..
    7mmsaum, kiwijames, mikee and 6 others like this.

Thats an open ended question... Ive taken lots of photos ..
    Photo of what?
    Most hunting photos I have document various bullet tests and bullet effectiveness v/s shot placement.
    I could also tell you that I'll shoot a hind or a young spiker over a big stag standing right next to them.. guess which ones taste better..
    timattalon, Micky Duck and takbok like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    Personally I never did understand you bone collectors..
    I would and have done the same, although I wouldnt leave a scrap of good meet in the bush even if it means multiple trips in and out. The head means nothing to me.
    The word trophy is not one I associate with.. its quality wild food. Im sure there are plenty like me that only hunt to fill the freezer but not so many that would proudly say it to a bunch of guys who think lugging a bunch of pointy bones out of the bush instead of all the meat is going to make them some how more manly or feel like they won a trophy for something amazing they just did.
    I have seen the the opposite many times.. deer missing heads with the entire carcass left in the bush, sometimes untouched other times only missing back straps.. you tell me which is more respectful and moral.

Let the debate begin..
    Don’t bag what you don’t understand. If you think all trophy hunters do it as some kind of ego trip contest then I’m afraid you’ve missed the point & your never going to get it. Much like a vegan or a animal rights activist will never see things your way.
    Stocky likes this.

Im not bagging anyone.. people will do what they will do whether others understand it or not. My point to make is there are just as many of us that will leave a head in the bush as this thread and photo shows, as the guys who leave meat in the bush which Im sure is just as cringe worthy to people like minded to myself.
    The question in debate is which is more ethical, moral and respectful?

Please keep it insult free and respectful to both parties (except vegans because they are not real people)
    Barefoot, Gibo, timattalon and 1 others like this.

From my perspective it doesn't matter if you view deer as a commodity made of meat or a magnificent game animal - they should be treated with respect in any event.

To me, it is as disrespectful to leave a magnificent head in the bush to rot as it is to leave meat to do the same. Both are the essence of a great animal and should be appreciated as such.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I have had the pleasure of accompaning Tahr on a hunt on this property, i can assure you they are not farmed deer, standard 7 wire boundry fences. There is however some very big bodied wild deer with good genes in the general area tho, the whole area has been known for this for many decades.
    You have missed the point - sorry !!
    This is NOTHING to do with Bruce - it is to do with many (some I know of personally) who poach and shoot these "farms" regularly
    If Bruce has access to such a great spot with deer in open farmland - good on him - wish I had something similar close to where I live - where a camera would be used more than a rifle - especially in Roar as those places go ballistic then.

You will probably find this animal in Q was shot via push bike Bow hunter - maybe not
    If farmer knows (as indicated above who it is ) kick his arse all the way back to retrieve it

one thing i love about private land is there's not all these muppets running around shooting at every think that moves and when i get back to my truck i know its going to have all its tires still up and not been broken in to.
    timattalon and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    @Gibo private land. No they didn't get spooked.

I have since found out that it was probably an inexperienced hunter who didn't appreciate what he had shot.
    You need to take Craig out more often then
    craigc likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    To me, it is as disrespectful to leave a magnificent head in the bush to rot as it is to leave meat to do the same. Both are the essence of a great animal and should be appreciated as such.
    Thats why I said to you @Tahr, I hope its now in your shed. I personally would have retrieved that head out of respect for the animal, not for any personal gain but just to give it a better place of rest.
    Tahr and Mooseman like this.

so hopefully the stag had serviced a heap of hinds last roar so has passed on great genes.....and hopefully the young person you shot it either reads this thread and realises what a muppet he is and changes his ways or B never gets to service anything other than his own hand and doesnt get to pass on genes.

Everyone has differing views on trophies. I think we need to stop calling the person names. It is counter productive. Not all new hunters have mentors to learn from and show them the inn's and out's of how to deal with animals. Remember that you were all new hunters once, even what experienced hunters think are mistakes are actually in fact learning curves for the new hunter. Don't berate, educate. Especially if the person is known to someone.
    Tahr, kiwijames, Scouser and 4 others like this.

I have shot 7 deer in the 2 and half years of hunting them, 3 stags and 4 spikers. To date I have only taken the meat and apart from the first deer I shot I have carried the rest out whole even if it's taken 5 and a half hours to do it. I haven't come across a single head that I have found worthy of keeping but if I ever get a good one I will take it to the taxidermist to get mounted but it will have to be a good one.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    Everyone has differing views on trophies. I think we need to stop calling the person names. It is counter productive. Not all new hunters have mentors to learn from and show them the inn's and out's of how to deal with animals. Remember that you were all new hunters once, even what experienced hunters think are mistakes are actually in fact learning curves for the new hunter. Don't berate, educate. Especially if the person is known to someone.
    Well said, and the lessen for this chap should be how to field dress an animal and pack it all out, evenn if that means dropping it off in multiple runs to a road or paddock accessible to a vehicle. He only had to ask the farmer for a hand or have him return with him on a quad or tractor etc. Ive yet to meet any man that wouldnt lend a hand for a recovery mission in exchange for some steaks sausages or a few beers. We have all been there.. up to our armpits and out of our depth.. asking for help would have been the right thing to do here.
    Tahr, NRT, GWH and 2 others like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    Well said, and the lessen for this chap should be how to field dress an animal and pack it all out, evenn if that means dropping it off in multiple runs to a road or paddock accessible to a vehicle. He only had to ask the farmer for a hand or have him return with him on a quad or tractor etc. Ive yet to meet any man that wouldnt lend a hand for a recovery mission in exchange for some steaks sausages or a few beers. We have all been there.. up to our armpits and out of our depth.. asking for help would have been the right thing to do here.
    Unfortunately in this day and age a young fella asking for help has about as much chance of being called a snowflake as receiving any.

Have to agree with comments made by Wingman and 300wsm for life. We were all beginners at some stage and we've all made mistakes, life is about learning. Personally I've left some good heads behind meaning to recover at some time,getting meat out is my priority. Its amusing how some of these heads have been taken by others before I've managed to get back to them.