Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree37Likes
  • 32 Post By deer243
  • 2 Post By deer243
  • 3 Post By stug

Thread: Easy sunday bush stalk.

Easy sunday bush stalk.

Hi, havnt been out since i got the last stag but as there is a forum get together this coming Saturday at Pengys thought i better see if can provide some venison for it.

Being a sunday wasnt going to go too far but i have a secret spot thats not bad and chances are i would have a reasonable chance of a animal.
    As a back up got Wednesday off as well so between the two days will surely get a deer.

Decided the smaller stoney creek bushline pack was the go today and took the 223 with the suppressor with the 55gr fed powershoks softnoses for a walk.

Was a nice morning, not cold and was on the road early to get to the meat safe by first light. Saw a deer on the road on the drive into the DOC block.

Arrived perfect timing and could just see and was heading into the bush and see what i can find.
    Couple of deer marks around so that was good so just took my time heading into the bigger native.

Wasnt long and im sure i can smell a deer, just a slight deer smell drifting toward me so im going extra slow looking for any deer that maybe ahead.

Was in some thicker trees and i notice a shape a wee distance thru a small gap about 80m away that looks like it could be a deer.

Alot of people who dont do much bush stalking would never guess it was a deer but ive seen many deer in the bush and this certainly looks like it might be one standing face on toward me.
    I carefully move a couple of metres so i can see better and sit down as its too far for a free standing shot if it is a deer.

Sure enough, as im sitting i see it moves it head and a quick look though the scope i see its a yearlying standing face on to me and can see its chest and whole neck and face.

I line it up and have a steady shot , but i dont have a clean shot at its chest, just its neck and its at least 80m plus away.
    I feel good thou and put the crosshairs on its neck and Boom and 55gr softnose is on its way.
    THUMP, i hear a soild hit and i totally pole axe it and its down!

Name:  310558718_5676584235722575_4303258089815922059_n.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  95.6 KB

Was a perfect shot, and i must say im really liking the 223 as a bush stalking weapon after shooting a few animals now with it.
    Yes, the 243 is still the bees knees(even thou ive been taking the 308 laterly lol) but the little 223 is certainly bowling the deer without much trouble and is nice to shoot.

Pretty happy with the 55gr projectiles so cant see me changing those , just a case if its the 223, 243, or 308 that comes for a walk.
    Wednesday i head out again but the 308 will come on that trip.

Name:  309948651_5676584525722546_1763496617659981974_n.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  506.2 KB

Exited hole from the 55gr Fed Powershok.

So i bone it out, including both shoulders and im back to the 4x4 by 830am lol.
    So Pengy has some venison and maybe i see some of the forum members saturday , i be up there after work around 4pm.

Cheers
    Nathan F, Tahr, Tim and 29 others like this.

Good going.
    I sense the ol 243 isn't quite the favourite it once was eh?
    See you at Pengys

great going ol bean..... awesome you still getting out among them.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Good. Nice coat.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

excellent!

The man is generous and then some
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

That easy eh... The deer hunt finished before 0900, still got plenty of time back home for a afternoon bbq. Your 55gr is FMJ, or....?
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    That easy eh... The deer hunt finished before 0900, still got plenty of time back home for a afternoon bbq. Your 55gr is FMJ, or....?
    Ive been using Fed powershoks softpoints, seem to be working well.
    I use the Fed powershoks 100gr in the 243, they are awesome . Use Fed fusions 165gr in the 308 and they going well too.
    I seem to be a fan of federal ammo...never let me down. Softpoints are the go thou for bush stalking , no need for any fancy ammo. They better at longer range but softpoints are the best bush stalking
    NO4 and Black Rabbit like this.

You are in Nelson right, what a nice place for fishing and hunting. I shot some fed 223 FMJ before, some channels said it is good ammo on top, some even dig out fed 223 were outsourced from Norinco, does `t matter anyway. Since FMJ is cheaper, thus I really like to see what it could be on animals before making bulk order. Nice hunt....!! looking forward to your cooking and next episode.

a bit pissed off I dont live in Nelson. Its a bit far for a day trip from up here

Good work. You have helped my decision about which rifle to take later this week

@Black Rabbit don’t use FMJ on animals. It pencils through with no expansion, it will eventually kill the animal, but you won’t find it as it will have taken a long time to die.
    Pengy, deer243 and Ben Waimata like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    @Black Rabbit don’t use FMJ on animals. It pencils through with no expansion, it will eventually kill the animal, but you won’t find it as it will have taken a long time to die.
    Right @stug, just curious...that `s why I skipped bow hunting.