Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree50Likes
  • 37 Post By Makros
  • 3 Post By Makros
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 6 Post By Makros
  • 2 Post By Makros

Thread: Extended long weekend

Extended long weekend

One my partner's and my goals in life is to make sure our dog thinks we're awesome.
    So we've taken the week off to take him on adventures.
    First we went to a nearby farm to look for some fallow. Early start and a few hours glassing was enjoyed by our boy by sleeping cuddled up next to us.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  826.8 KB

Sunday called for some chores around the house and at our rental so the dog got a good rest.

Then on Monday we tramped into the Pureoras for a few nights. The strong westerly was a bit unpleasant up there but persisted with a few hunts in breaks in the rain. Shot a pig, but I hit it in the lungs and even with a patchy blood trail and hearing it do some death throes in the bush about 50m away. It ended up in a really dense and log strewn area and we couldn't find it. The dog has zero interest in pigs so he's not useful tracking pigs. Bit of a bugger not to find an animal but that happens sometimes I suppose.

The constant strong westerly made stalking into the creek heads where the deer sign was quite fruitless as the wind whipped over the ridges and swirled with reckless abandon into the guts. We decided to walk out Wednesday afternoon.
    Our little buddy carries his own food, blanket and fleece jacket for overnight. Trooper. Doesn't slow the little bugger down much!
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  1.41 MB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  947.7 KB
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  723.8 KB
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  520.5 KB

So today with quite tired legs and achy knees after a long tramp on steep and slippery ground we decided to go find some more steep and slippery ground. So we headed off this morning to a DOC block in the Waitomo area that we've been scouting. A nasty 250 odd vertical metres of Waitomo's finest supplejack and slippery ground takes us down to a beautiful and very secluded grassy valley.
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  1.15 MB

We knew goats and pigs were abundant in the valley and we suspected fallow too. This suspicion was rapidly confirmed when we crouched down to look at a goat and a fallow about 100m away was spotted through the undergrowth. It saw us at the same time and pranced away. This did mean for the remainder of the grassy valley the goats were safe.
    A km or so from the first encounter we rounded a bend and spotted another fallow, this one hadn't seen us. My partner knelt down and the dog did the same, he had winded it by now. I snuck through a bit of punga and shot the fallow, on the shot another appeared, but the one I shot was moving off so I kept eyes on it. Hit hard it made it about 20m before doing that weird backwards fall over thing, straight into the creek.
    I knew where it was, but called the dog over. "Where's bambi" and he's off like a shot straight to it laid up in the creek. Once I got to it, it twitched, so I shot it in the head to be sure. Was superfluous but I tend to take a no such thing as over kill approach.
    Name:  7.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  1.21 MB
    Name:  8.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  1.31 MB

It was quartering towards me, the shot when through the onside shoulder joint, heart, lungs and didn't exit. Leaving a rather large window through the vitals on the entry side under the shoulder. Amazing it made 20m! .308win Sierra Gameking 150gr.
    Name:  20231026_143929.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  1.22 MB

Didn't bother leaving much for the pigs...I dragged the carcass into the bush after this, don't like leaving bits and pieces in the open. Even if I'm pretty sure this place isn't getting much traffic.
    Name:  9.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  1.26 MB

The goats in this valley definitely aren't being hunted.... these dopey buggers just hung around while we walked past. I may have questioned their intelligence loudly several times... Young eaters so I left them for next time. Lucky they weren't mature billies otherwise they'd have had some final education. We probably should have just shot them, but I think I'm getting soft.
    Name:  91.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  1.40 MB
    Name:  92.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  1.42 MB

Dog was happy as always.
    Name:  93.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  1.02 MB
    Name:  94.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  1.11 MB

One of the last climbs through the supplejack. Real tie your eyelashes on type country, no traction in the slippery mud and ridges interspersed with steep drop offs to navigate.
    Name:  95.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  843.5 KB

Made it to the road, and the dog knew the ute was just around the corner.
    Name:  96.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  1.16 MB

Kimber got a bit muddy! The trusty bushy 3200 scope still going on this one. The missus one got foggy in the Pureoras but was still taken on this trip "A little bit cloudy but good enough for short range" apparently... thanks for the suggestions for a replacement in my other thread all.
    Name:  97.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  1.23 MB

Then back at the ute. Not only did my partner help carry a substantial amount of meat, she had a thermos of tea sorted. Legend..
    Name:  98.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  639.2 KB

Has been an awesome few days with my partner and our dog. The dog is knackered, the missus isn't... Marathon running legs definitely outlast mine!
    The dog will get a rest for the next few days as it's off to the pistol range tomorrow and tidy up all our gear strewn all over the place to dry. Then Sika show Saturday.
    Last edited by Makros; 26-10-2023 at 11:15 PM.
    Nathan F, Tahr, nzspearo and 34 others like this.

Great goal to have! Nice write-up as well, thanks for taking the time to do it. Dog does look happy for sure

Nice write up,i love photos so enjoyed your photos and smiley dog.Enjoy yr venison.

Good effort
    Bank those goats for winter curries

Great write up. Tell us about your dog? Age and breeding?
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

He's a 5 year old Labrador x Golden Retriever. Awesome companion who just wants to please. He loves hunting. I never really trained him, he just came along and figured out what the story was.
    His life's mission is to convince me to shoot all goats. Goat hunting is what he lives for and in the valley he was winding constantly telling us there's a goat there and there and over there. Even after we shot the fallow he pointed at some goats... he winds slightly different for deer so you can tell what he's on to.
    Last edited by Makros; 27-10-2023 at 10:03 AM.
    Tahr, Trout and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    He's a 5 year old Labrador x Golden Retriever. Awesome companion who just wants to please. He loves hunting. I never really trained him, he just came along and figured out what the story was.
    His life's mission is to convince me to shoot all goats. Goat hunting is what he lives for and in the valley he was winding constantly telling us there's a goat there and there and over there. Even after we shot the fallow he pointed at some goats... he winds slightly different for deer so you can tell what he's on to.
    Thats very cool.

You did a great job on boning that deer out.
    Micky Duck and MB like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

golden retrievers are funny things,we had one..half huntaway half golden..took 3 years before he did anything then just woke up one morning into full on hunting machine mode,strongest swimmer Ive ever seen, I used to put life jacket on kids and go out into lake up to my neck,Willy would swim out,kid hold him and he would tow them back to shore like they werent even there.
    agree with tahr...awesome boning out job.
    maybe consider some mild loads for the quiet goats that stand around like that??...something like a 130grn speer hp tootling along with minimum load would be primo for tipping them over..above subsonic kills way better and the noise is still way less than full charge levels.dog will love you even more when you tip them over lol.
    enjoy your venison.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Thats very cool.

You did a great job on boning that deer out.
    I'll take that as a high compliment from you. We took quite a bit of bone off this one for the dog to chew on. The climb was a bit gnarly but we had time on our side to take it slow. Only one shoulder had any real damage so meat recovery was very good.

It was you and your son that showed me how to bone out deer in the field back in October 2008. I've had a fair bit of practice since on deer and goats.
    Craig shot it on the way up to the tops and we collected it on the way back down.
    Name:  IMGP0144.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  724.6 KB
    Tahr, Trout, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    dog will love you even more when you tip them over lol.
    Don't worry about that, we go goat hunting regularly and he gets a regular go at scragging the back end of plenty of tipped over goats.
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.

57JL
    good family adventure well done your dog looks just like my duck dog but he is 3/4 lab 1/4 weimaraner and loves the water

Looks like a good spot you have there.