Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree37Likes
  • 29 Post By Delphus
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 4 Post By viper
  • 1 Post By piwakawaka
  • 1 Post By craigc

Thread: First deer in aaaages

First deer in aaaages

I had a three day wallaby hunt planned this weekend with a guy who does control work for DOC. We were meant to head deep up the Rangitata to search for sign and cull whatever we found. Typically only 3-4 wallabies shot over the three days, helping to stop the spread. The forecast snow last night(Friday) put an end to those plans, as the fresh snow on the first night makes it very difficult to search for sign. I have been looking forward to this for the last month, so my awesome wife agreed for me to head out locally for an overnight hunt mid week. It was a short window and I was keen to make the most of it. My newly finished rifle stock meant I had to get to the range before I was going to head away to re-zero.

I managed to get into my local and started to shoot. First shot was about to 20cm low, but perfectly in line vertically. Instead of holding the crosshairs on POA and dialling down to POI I did the opposite. It took me a few more shots to realise my mistake and make the needed double adjustment the opposite way. The next shot was down and quite far to the left? But I hadn’t touched the horizontal dial?! I adjusted horizontally and the next shot went my camera across about half as far as it should have. Must have been my shooting I thought. Next shot I made sure to hold the rifle firmly, my free hand sitting tightly on the scope. The bloody thing shifted under my hand. When I put the scope back in the rifle (I left the rings tight on the scope) I only finger tightened the rings to the rail! Amateur mistake haha.

I tightened the rings and fired again. Bang on vertically and an inch low. Made a few clicks up and fired, perfect about 2” high. Fired a second shot to confirm and am now good to go. Only wasted about 8 shots!

Name:  IMG_3582.jpeg
Views: 553
Size:  3.20 MB

A couple of hours later I was parked up and ready to hunt. Last time I came here I thought I could save a bit of energy and bring my push bike to make shorter work of the 4km through farm tracks. It was a lot more work than I expected, biking up a gradual incline with a heavy pack. I ended up walking the bike as it was less effort than biking!

At the end of the farm tracks I stashed the bike and began the 3km walk through the hills to the edge of the block. On my way in I went through a section of tussock that was nearly head high. It had recently rained and the stuff was laden with water, which very quickly transferred to me completely soaking me to the skin. I would have bumped at least 15 wallabies through there too, but with the length of the grass Impossible to shoot them. There was also heaps of matagauri, and massive amounts of bastard Spaniard grass!

I crested a ridge and could see my pre-planned campsite about 500m away. As I came down I bumped a wallaby and watched it bound away as I continued to walk. I was distracted by the wallaby when I heard a bark to my right? I had never heard a deer bark before, and it took me a minute to realise no it wasn’t a dog, and yes that was a hind vanishing over the crest. Dammit.

Ah well was cool to hear a warning bark! The wallaby I bumped earlier was still sitting there so I figured I might as well have a crack. I was near my campsite and had house of daylight left, so I had time for a nice evening hunt if the shot scared any deer away. I was walking toward the wallaby curious what the .308 had done to it when I glanced behind. The barking hind had cut behind me likely trying to cut my scent. The wind had worked in my favour (for once) and she was out of luck. Last time I hunted I hesitated a split second too long and missed a plum shot. I didn’t hesitate this time. I chambered another round, lined her up and let rip. Down she went. I ranged the shot and it was just over 200m. I was quietly pretty stoked with that shot. Standing unsupported with a full pack and a x5 scope! The round hit mid to high on her right shoulder, and she just dropped. First kill for the new stock!

Name:  IMG_3575.jpeg
Views: 563
Size:  6.96 MBName:  IMG_3577.jpeg
Views: 562
Size:  7.29 MB

It was probably one of the most awkward recoveries I have done. She fell precariously at the top of a 20m steep slope. I got both back straps out and moved to one hind quarter. I had to shift her a bit and she was angling with her head uphill. I got one back leg mostly off, and was cutting in toward the joint to release it. I cut too deep and entrails started pushing out right in the way. Her abdomen was super distended, and the pressure was pushing the guts right out and in the way! I tried to lift them in one hand and try to free the joint, but a nick with my knife popped the intestines pouring yuckness all over the fresh meat. Bugger. I let the leg go and that’s all it took to upset the balance and down she tumbled, stopping 20m below. She stopped on the Spaniard grass in the circle below:

Name:  IMG_3604.jpeg
Views: 557
Size:  3.82 MB

She landed in a very awkward position on and in a massive Spaniard grass plant. I couldn’t move her. I got the other hind quarter off, and managed to get one of the rib tenders (I forget their name haha). @viper knife going strong! Actually come to think of it I got the rifle from him too!

Name:  IMG_3579.jpeg
Views: 557
Size:  6.51 MB

Still a decent amount of meat, but not as much as I could have gotten. As I was sitting waiting for the meat to cool I glanced down just in time to see two more hinds feeding down the opposite face less than 200m away. They disappeared into heavy bush before I could get my rifle. I would have sat for an hour and watched in hopeful anticipation of a clearing shot, but no dice. Ah well more for next time!

The original plan was for me to camp overnight and have a good hunt up the hill more. Having shot this hind early in my trip, the idea of sleeping in my warm bed was looking more and more appealing. I made the call to head home. I still had a 7km walk out over some rough terrain so I packed my bag up and headed off as the sun went behind the hills behind me. It was a tough walk out, I seemed to find all of the Spaniard there was to find. My legs are destroyed from just below the knee to mid thigh. I definitely will be wearing pants next time I head up there! They won’t stop being stabbed by the Spaniard, but will stop a bit of the scratches from the matagauri! I have hundreds of marks on my legs, and about 60 across both hands and arms.

On the way back down I bumped another wallaby who hopped about 15m away and stood there staring at me. “Ooo mate it’s your lucky day” I said out loud as my rifle was unloaded and strapped to the side of my pack. He still sat there watching me, so I put my pack down. Got my rifle, loaded one round, bought it up and shot him. Not so lucky after all!

Name:  IMG_3581.jpeg
Views: 562
Size:  6.78 MB

Getting out of the hills I was greeted with the most amazing sight. My bike. The last 4km passed in a blur. I pedaled maybe twice the whole way down. At one point I looked down and was going over 40km/h and had to dial it waaaay back. The last thing I needed was to come off at that speed on gravel with a heavy pack!! I arrived quick time at my car, and made the 2 hour trip home. Was home by 9pm and happy to get warm and dry again!

The hunt was 7 hours and 19km in the hills, a most excellent way to spend a day!!

Meat is all vacuum sealed and is aging in the fridge. I have already frozen the casserole portions and the bits I will turn to mince. This is my first time using a vacuum sealer, how long should I leave to age in the fridge before I freeze?

Name:  IMG_3603.jpeg
Views: 528
Size:  3.25 MB
    Tahr, outdoorlad, Trout and 26 others like this.

Cool hunt story. An enjoyable read, thanks.

I age for week BEFORE packaging but I guess a couple of days will be fine. great writeup and awesome to hear you have blooded new stock in such a productive manner.
    consider buying yourself a pair of heavy canvas pighunter type chaps....because your bum is still out of them they dont get too hot to wear and sure save the legs from a beating...even knee high gaiters save a fair hiding but chaps are next level good.
    RV1 and Snoppernator like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

@Dalphus What a great yarn! Lots of lessons learnt! "40 kmph down hill kn my bike," had me ROFL! Sounds like a handy and good place to go back too.

Do you southerners eag the wallabies? Seams to me casseroled wallaby tail would be a lot like ox tail?

Great looking rifle stock!

Nice effort, cool pics and story. Thanks for sharing.
    I bet the ol deadly treadle was a sight for sore eyes on the way home and the memories of walking it in soon forgotten on the decent out
    #DANNYCENT

I’d leave it for 21 days before freezing it, that’s what I do.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Great read. Nice work on the stock , that would have been very satisfying not only to build it but for it to work so well.
    Wow one of my knifes and one of my rifles...... I was almost there

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    I’d leave it for 21 days before freezing it, that’s what I do.
    Interesting.

Do you leave it in the fridge vacume packed for 21 days? Or another method?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Thanks for the nice write up and photos,good effort.Knee high gaiters would save a lot of skin.Enjoy yr venison.

I've done sika 2 weeks vac packed in the fridge it worked well
    kukuwai likes this.

Rewarding quick trip. Thanks for sharing

Nice to see that someone is getting out. Thanks for sharing!

Mountianing biking and hunting go well together! Wait until you try an e-bike.

Wet aging, up to 28 days according to this.

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/bu...aging-big-game
    kukuwai likes this.