Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: First Solo Fly Camp - South Canterbury

First Solo Fly Camp - South Canterbury

A solo fly camp overnighter made it to my bucket list as I gained more confidence in the hills. After weeks of planning and preparation, I finally gave it a crack this long weekend.

10 minutes in I heard a beep in my pack. Upon investigation, I realised the camera battery was drained. Not only it managed to turn it self on, but it also went into continuous shooting mode and took hundreds of photos of the inside of my pack.

After 4 hours of brisk hike (and jog), I arrived at my pre-planned spot on the open tops at 5pm. The land was as barren as it gets, and my gut says animals won't be here. There were plenty of flat spots suitable to set up the tent, but I decided to head the small gullies leading down to the main valley. The scrubby bottom looked promising by providing potential food and shelter to the animals.

It was already 6pm by the time I got halfway down the hill. It was steep the whole way, and I started wondering whether I should head back up where it's flat to set up tent. A few small patches of open grass at the very bottom looked like they could be potential sites to setup. I continued heading down at a decent pace, worried that I might not reach there before dark. There was no time to sit and glass, so I ended up spooking numerous wallabies on the way down.

At the very bottom I spotted a wallaby munching 100m away totally unaware of my presence. I sat down, put in the ear plugs, lined up the 243 to my home made old school 80gr Speer Hotcor, BOOM! It went stiff before it dropped to the ground.

As I was slowing working my way through the dense scrub to retrieve the animal, a ginger pig appeared on a nearby patch of open grass 80m away. Again I attempted a sitting shot. The cross hair was quite wobbly from the adrenaline. But I said to myself "if I can hit a wallaby at 100m I should easily hit a pig at 80m". BOOM! It sounded like a hit, but the pig dashed into the scrub.

Then there was a hell of a racket in the scrub. Something was clearly crashing through it. "The pig must be wounded" I thought. So I left all the gear and went down to retrieve. Few minutes later a ginger pig casually walks out. It stared straight at me at less than 5m away, as if it was saying "Were you the guy that just tried to shoot me?" Moments later her black mate appeared right in front of my face too. Luckily a few seconds later they both decided to squeal and run off.

It was getting dark and I finally arrived at my potential camp site. Bugger, it looked flat when viewed from the top but it certainly isn't now. To make things worse it was right next to the very fast flowing main stream. There were no other suitable sites nearby, and no way I could crash through the scrub back up to the top flats in the dark. The site was also right in the middle of the pigs' home. A stinky and messy place. Unfortunately I had to take what was available at the time.

Had very little sleep throughout the night. Sleeping mat kept sliding down the gradient. The stream flow was loud, with the occasional grunting noise around the tent. The following morning, the pile of beef teriyaki spilled on the ground the night before had completely disappeared, not even a grain left. No surprises there.

The sun was up. The hike back up the opposite face was longer and harder than anticipated. I was on full blast in attempt to make it back to the car on the planned time. It eventually became a race against the clock and I had no choice but to ignore all the spooked wallabies. My toes were cramping every few steps, lungs were on fire, and blisters from the day before were kicking in.

Just before exiting the block, I spotted 9 hinds sunning on a patch of open grass across the gully. They were completed exposed and would have been achievable targets at 200m away. My heart was racing like hell, but I knew I wouldn't have the energy nor the time to retrieve them, so observed for a few minutes and left them alone.

So that was the trip. Covered 16km in total, half of that being off track.

Fly camping definitely has the advantage of getting you closer to the animals. By "living" where the animals live, even just through a single 24h cycle, I feel like I've learned a lot about animal behaviour.

I spent less than 10 minutes total glassing in the trip, as I was constantly rushing to my pre-planned locations. Number one adjustment to make for next time would be less walking and more glassing. It's a hunt not a race. No point busting your gut just to jog past all your preys.

Name:  20220925_154750.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  4.06 MB

Name:  PXL_20220925_193412161.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  4.58 MB

Name:  20220925_173405.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  6.69 MB

Name:  20220925_182820.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  5.54 MB

Name:  20220925_175136.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  8.94 MB

Name:  20220925_221605.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  3.17 MB

Name:  20220926_115036.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  1.91 MB
    Last edited by Synthetic; 26-09-2022 at 07:43 PM.
    Tahr, Tim, madjon_ and 29 others like this.

picking a comfortable camp site and few hours good sleep is not that easy. For me and wife, sometimes I will carry a small shovel. But you made your first solo, I still have bit of issue, sleep alone in a tent by myself, thus I only carried mat, sleeping bag and a GI raincoat
    Synthetic likes this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Great effort getting out there doing it. Having your first experience will give you even better knowledge for your next experience. I think that spot we sussed out on our last trip would be a great spot to fly camp. Looking forward to heading south for another hunt with ya mate.
    Synthetic likes this.

Good trip,go back to the same place and allow bit more time.You know where the animals are and what to look for.Take a mate with you,easy on the carrys that way.Good luck next time.
    Synthetic and Kimber 7mm-08 like this.

Good on you for getting out and going solo. Maybe next time try and start earlier or go for 2 nights. Get tent set up mid to late afternoon so you have the evening free to hunt. Looks like a nice area.
    Trout, Micky Duck and Synthetic like this.

Bos
    Well done mate - nothing like investigating a new piece of country. Plenty of deer everywhere these days and typical Sth Canterbury hill country. Bound to be Reds and a few Fallow there somewhere so just a matter of hunting at the right time and looking hard
    Synthetic likes this.

MB
    Good read, thanks.

Edit: Nice to read a trip report that doesn't necessarily end with blood and glory. Makes me feel a little better about all my "failed" attempts!
    Last edited by MB; 16-11-2022 at 12:19 PM.
    Synthetic and RUMPY like this.

Looks like a primo spot, I'd be going back there with a bit more time. As the spring turns to summer the deer will be pushing up the faces following the growth. Camp up higher next time and hunt down if needed. You'll be surprised at what you see and where. Sometime animals just simply seem to appear.

Wish I had a spot that held 3 different game species!
    Synthetic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brindog View Post
    what backpack did you use?.
    It was a Macpac 50L. A bit on the small side I feel.

Good report well done
    Synthetic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Fog View Post
    My overnighter pack is 40l, in which case you're carrying too much crap
    Agreed. I have a Mapac 35L alpine pack which is more than big enough for an overnighter. Have done a couple of 3 night winter missions in the alps even, although not alone, we shared tent cooking gear.

I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself over distance verses hunting either. If it’s your first trip in the area, no harm in covering plenty of country and scouting likely spots.
    You know where to go next time!
    Synthetic likes this.

RV1
    Just read this trip report again. Classic and I laughed out loud when he realised how shit that campsite was... Great read second time around - thanks for sharing! I just wish I had a trip report to share...
    Synthetic likes this.

35-40 litre packs might be well and good for an over nighter...but leaves stuff all room to put meat in if you do drop an animal...
    you can take a 80-90 litre pack with next to nothing in it....have to be disciplined when packing it though,I always seem to take too much stuff....but having been caught out without enough stuff in early days...yip rather have it and dont need it than need it and not have it.
    Allizdog and Synthetic like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters