Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree25Likes
  • 19 Post By short swede
  • 2 Post By Trout
  • 1 Post By Husky1600
  • 1 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By Sideshow
  • 1 Post By short swede

Thread: Funny wet evening

Funny wet evening

Went for an evening stroll near Kaikoura last evening, moved the day due to weather but when arriving in Kaikoura it was torrential rain.... got parked up and threw my gear on. Planned on using a lighter coat but had to put on my work hi vis one but all good. Boots no longer waterproof so the fun continued. Thunder storm started up above just to add to the overall ambience of the evening and I started to think what the hell am I doing here. Wandered around the block and sighted nothing then moved back to a clearing where I attached my torch to the scope/got set up for dark and was just putting my headlight in my pocket when out of the corner of my eye I see two fallow deer about 4 metres away.

Thinking oh crap my rifle is at my feet and they are walking towards me (I'm slightly hidden behind some manuka) to make it even worse the front one is a buck. I turn into a bad impression of a statue and the buck stops about 2 metres away from me with it's radar suddenly turned on (I'm down wind) staring straight at me. No rifle or camera in hand and no rock to throw to make me feel better either. After about 15 seconds the buck decides it doesn't like the statue and two leaps later is in the bush with it's spiker mate following. So ended with nothing to fill the freezer and very wet feet but left with an awesome close encounter.

Priceless encounter,good stuff.So next week go 1hr earlier to the clearing.
    Good luck.
    Micky Duck and short swede like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by short swede View Post
    ... I attached my torch to the scope...
    Just a FYI: this is fine on private land but strictly prohibited on public land

Priceless!
    short swede likes this.

Fear not it's on private land, fully aware of rules

Might have to. Could have worked if I was on the other side of the clearing at the time but was trying to stay away from the lighting and trees

Great when they approach without knowing you're there, my brother and I had a Sika fawn come in to about 2 metres years ago, something I'll never forget.
    short swede likes this.

Been in that situation a few times with fallow here in the uk @short swede next time try a mew call. Just after they hop away it can stop them if they haven’t fully cottoned onto what you are. Worth a try. I’d be back to that area again soon as they won’t have gone far.
    Good luck
    short swede likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Awesome advice thanks @Sideshow. They will still be in the patch of bush in the middle of the block so another time we might met again on my terms hopefully.
    Sideshow likes this.