Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Good Bugga

Good Bugga

Well i haven't written a story for a bit but i think this is worthy of a shout out.

Flicka, myself and son Alex went for a quick overnight/morning hunt. We were due to be home by lunch so nothing big on the menu. Well instead of getting up at stupid o'clock we stayed the night over there in my truck. At not much past stupid o'clock (4am) the alarm went off, we got ready and headed to our spot which was an hours walk. Nearly there and after a few breaks we bumped into a guy standing around in his long johns not long after making his way from his small tent. We stopped in to see if he was ok for us to join him for the morning (he was there first so only courtesy) he was more than happy and said it would be great to have some experienced guys with him (I think he was referring to my son!!) anyway I introduced myself and it turns out we had met at the local deer stalkers club the Wednesday before (small world)

Anyway we head out for first light and start glassing.....and glassing..... and glassing. Alex was found under a bush asleep so i woke him for some breakfast. The morning had been a bit claggy so glassing was a bit intermittent. So we were just starting to put a plan b together after not seeing anything for 1.5 hours when our friend says "There's one" we all get our eyes on it and he turns to me and asks "well which one of us shoots it??" Im like "buddy you were here first and you saw it first you get to shoot it but we will come and help". He was pretty stoked. So we start to pack up and he turns to me and says "I have a deal for you, I will let Alex shoot it if you take me for a hunt and a learning session on another occasion" Man how could you turn that down. So the deal was done.......well almost. We at this stage were 750m from the deer, we had to drop in elevation unseen (4 of us) cut down some meters and then try and set up closer for a shot. Long and short we managed to scrub off 650m. We set Alex up at 100m with our new mate the deal maker on back up, Flicka on camera and me getting Alex sorted. We had to be a bit careful as the wind was a bit dodgy, anyway the animal had not moved from when we first spotted it (sitting) and blissfully unaware a 12yr old boy was out to ruin its day. We were all set and Alex let the .284 fly, well the shot could have been better but the deer took off like lightening into the scrub, the look on Alex's face was one of a kid who had been licking an ice cream only to lick it off the cone and onto the ground. A quick look at the footage and we were all happy of an ok hit. We left Flicka at the shooting spot and made our way around to the clearing it was shot on. As i got to the clearing i notice a massive amount of blood and fur so was stoked to tell Alex it looked like a good kill shot, just then our mate yells out " oh my good, what the hell" Took me a bit by surprise but asked what was up, he then proceeds to tell me its the most amount of blood he has seen in a blood trail. I head into him and sure enough it was a blood trail even a blind man with dementia could follow was almost like a high pressure hose had gone through. Some minutes and about 30m later the blood goes from siddling to straight down (the sign we like to see) and sure enough here it is.

The cut up was done and the load share and walk back to his camp and then the car complete. Happily handing him half of the spoils and confirming we would be in contact to keep my end of the deal. For the gift of allowing Alex to shoot a deer when he has only shot 1 public and a couple of private animals himself is huge and the favour will be returned for sure.

Any way here is a pic of Alex and proud dad with his first public land deer and first Red deer

Name:  IMG_20160925_091003.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  793.7 KB

Hamish
    Shootm, Tahr, sako75 and 22 others like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Good stuff!!
    HNTMAD likes this.

Great story. Alex is a lucky boy.
    HNTMAD likes this.

Well done.
    HNTMAD likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Cool, good to know some good guys still out in the hills
    HNTMAD likes this.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Huk
    Well done great pic for the family album there Hamish good to a few good buggas still around
    HNTMAD likes this.

Top bloke, well done
    HNTMAD likes this.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Awesome
    HNTMAD likes this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Well done to all, thats what the spirit of hunting is all about
    Shootm, veitnamcam, Beaker and 1 others like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

A great day had by all except the deer, well done, plenty more to come.
    HNTMAD likes this.

The kind of story you like to read
    HNTMAD likes this.

Looking forward too episode ll
    HNTMAD likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    That kid that negotiated the outcome has got a hell of a future as he recognised the value of the moment.
    gadgetman and HNTMAD like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Was so funny, just after he found out he could shoot it he turned to me and said "Dad, shit just got real"
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

GWH
    Thats a cool little story.
    HNTMAD likes this.