Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: To the Hill

Whats the deer in your avatar Bushhunter? Did you not shoot that fella?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Good on ya BushHunter.

Advice given to me by my old man when I was starting was

Once you find the sign Move Slowly and Stop Often.

Once you think your moving slowly enough Slow Down Some More.

Use your Ears Twice As Much as your eyes.

Keep the Wind in Your Face

Every deer spooked is an opportunity to learn.

And don't give up.

Only time in the bush will teach you these things.

Have Fun .... It wont take long to get your first one.

Cheers
    Pete
    You don't get better advise than that!.
    BushHunter likes this.

Banned
    This a very exciting thread!!!.How do you subscribe to it?......I feel He's real close.
    Rusky likes this.

Lost For Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    Whats the deer in your avatar Bushhunter? Did you not shoot that fella?
    Na I didn't bugger it. That one was a lucky score for a good mate of mine from about 6 years ago when we used to do a lot of small game spot lighting together. He organised with one of his neighbours to have a clean up around his run off, Anything that move's I want it gone (except sheep and beef of course).

No worries. It was a good night that one, Ferrets rat's possums rabbit's hare's all on the table. Got to the last paddock at the back of farm that backed onto some bush and I had just finished unloading the semi (shoty) on all the hare's I could see. As I was reloading matt was checking out the paddock for more when this stag walked out of the bush and up the gully straight to us, into the spotlight. wtf we thought haha. He must of just been a nosey deer and came to see what all the noise was about ?? Duno, Anyway matt put a round into him and took him home to eat Too easy. Well for him anyway dam it haha.

Lost For Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    This a very exciting thread!!!.How do you subscribe to it?......I feel He's real close.
    Cheer's mate

Banned
    whens your next hunt? one little piece of learnings from me.......just when you take your mind of the job that's when they will be in front of you!!! remember that all day long.

Lost For Time
    whens your next hunt? one little piece of learnings from me.......just when you take your mind of the job that's when they will be in front of you!!! remember that all day long.
    Well was this weekend but wifey has put a stop to that ! Said I have been out to many weekend's in a row haha. But hopfully I can sneak away for a few hour's sunday arvo to a new spot that I was lucky enough to organise tonight ............ If not next weekend for sure.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BushHunter View Post
    Well was this weekend but wifey has put a stop to that ! Said I have been out to many weekend's in a row haha. But hopfully I can sneak away for a few hour's sunday arvo to a new spot that I was lucky enough to organise tonight ............ If not next weekend for sure.
    Go hard and warm barrels mate
    BushHunter likes this.

I find my attention span lasts around 4-5 hours in the bush, then I lose concentration and literally stop hunting and go into auto pilot (lost a deer 2 weeks ago because of this). Think I need to take more breaks or have a nana nap to keep me focused. Any one else have this problem? Mind you getting up at 3 or 4am might have something to do with it?
    mohawk likes this.

Banned
    Have a break,I reckon that just sitting there quietly in the bush not making a sound but still listening in my book your still hunting and have the advantage over the Deer especially if there moving around under the canopy.
    Toby, Gibo and BushHunter like this.

Have a break,I reckon that just sitting there quietly in the bush not making a sound but still listening in my book your still hunting and have the advantage over the Deer especially if there moving around under the canopy.
    +1 its mentaly draining. Take a break have a snack drink even a nap (yep i said nap.)

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    BushHunter likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Lost For Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    I find my attention span lasts around 4-5 hours in the bush, then I lose concentration and literally stop hunting and go into auto pilot (lost a deer 2 weeks ago because of this). Think I need to take more breaks or have a nana nap to keep me focused. Any one else have this problem? Mind you getting up at 3 or 4am might have something to do with it?
    Maybe that could be my problem but the other way round ? To bloody excited. Dam now I wana pull a sickie tomorrow. You may have to camp at the bush the night before rusky so your not to tired

There has been success having a nana nap on the hill and you earn it too.
    BushHunter likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

That sika I shot the other week was just after I started to get a bit frustrated. It was the third day of the hunt and no animals seen. I had stalked this nice ridge and got to the end of it. I sat down and a bit fed up thinking there was nothing around I was blowing my nose. Sat there for about 30 mins then decided to sidle around into the wind and it was less than 50m before I spotted it. Taught me a little lesson, don't give up, they may just be around the corner!

I look forward to seeing you with your first kill, I'll be stoked as for you!!
    BushHunter likes this.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Lost For Time
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    That sika I shot the other week was just after I started to get a bit frustrated. It was the third day of the hunt and no animals seen. I had stalked this nice ridge and got to the end of it. I sat down and a bit fed up thinking there was nothing around I was blowing my nose. Sat there for about 30 mins then decided to sidle around into the wind and it was less than 50m before I spotted it. Taught me a little lesson, don't give up, they may just be around the corner!

I look forward to seeing you with your first kill, I'll be stoked as for you!!
    Thanks phillip ! I will be bouncing off the wall's I reckon haha.