Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree32Likes
  • 28 Post By Cowboy
  • 1 Post By HNTMAD
  • 1 Post By Husky1600#2
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Cowboy

Thread: How to enjoy the school hols

How to enjoy the school hols

As a follow on the last week's story.
    My girl was hassling he to get her out. Her ultimatum was, "either you take me to catch a marlin or we go for a hunt". They forget at that age that we work.
    As I'd been game fishing the week before and we'd had two marlin for the day, I think she thought these were equally easy options. They are not.
    So it didn't take much arm twisting to set up a goat hunt.
    She also had a great idea to take her bike so that she could bomb the forestry track on the way out.
    As it tuned out we didn't get the go ahead for our access u till 9 the next morning which isn't ideal on a hot day but as she was still keen we got going, loaded up on a couple of pies, donuts and her choice of dodgy fizzy drinks.

On getting out of the car, I was shocked at how hot it was. 30degrees plus and no wind. We suffered uonthe first track and up ahead about 20ft in front of the dog is a little black animal trotting down the road toward him. I click that its a cat just as the cat spots the problem. An opportunity missed as this is a pretty good kiwi area.
    A few tears as we go up through the pine slash when a spill results in landing on a young broken pine stump. Her tears, not mine lol.
    Name:  IMG_20240120_113029.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  4.25 MB
    After leaking a litre of sweat we make the top and spot a mob of 20 or so in the distance.
    She wants to go to them. I want to go back to the car. We find a middle ground by heading for shade.
    While having a little hide from the sun, Ace starts winding but appears to think something is down wind of us.
    Sure enough, 20m away a nanny pops out. She was on the move and obviously had smelt us in the shifting wind. It's would have been easy to bowl her but as my girl couldn't see her properly I let her go with the intention of swinging around her to give the dog practice on finding her again.
    As we were doing this, I look down into a gut and spot a yearling. Mini me is ready to get it and starts pushing for the 'dad, we should be able to get close to that one and then I'd be able to shoot'. Since she shot her first goat I've told her she has to get better at shooting and she has somewhat but not to my satisfaction.
    A good stalk ensues. We get close and the yrlng has turned into two nannys and a yrlng. One is a perfect eater. We get close and feed into all the wrong places. I risk them getting our wind and set up ahead of them slightly. Mini me points out this isn't a hard shot for her. 15m. For ten mins we piss around trying to get a good rest eventually using a dead punga and both our bags. At this point they spook and a 10min stand off ensues with them unsure which way to go. I set up for the best escape route and when they go this is exactly where the one we are after stops. Bang and she has got a clean kill(if slightly back by 3inches) I drill it in the neck to make sure as I don't want any wounded animal drama putting her off the experience. It also teaches her that a round is inexpensive when compared to the pain an animal might be suffering.
    Name:  IMG_20240120_130805.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  9.08 MB
    Name:  IMG_20240120_141127.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  8.92 MB
    We share an energy drink and then after she implores me to take the skin, I flounder around on steep ground undressing it and then filling my bag with all the meat. She gets the backies and the skin in hers and it's back to the car.
    All in all a fun day, if punishingly hot. We see more but this is about dog and kid training. And others want to shoot this area and I respect the farm managers go ahead(if ya reading this G - cheers).
    Back at car, I'm burnt out but we get the bike out and she has a great time riding all the way to the bottom. It's a good life.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/Hakmgn9CK..._-8b4KtiQB_ohV
    https://youtube.com/shorts/4T16XuK61...z-jLqvdywwB3rE
    https://youtube.com/shorts/6-cHUgx1V...gjjZiqjsaXRHTO
    Tim, Makros, Puffin and 25 others like this.

Awesomeness Cowboy

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    Cowboy likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Excellent! Well done "mini me" and big ups to Dad for taking the time. Great write up
    Cowboy likes this.

She sure is keen.... good on you guide Rangi.
    Cowboy likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Great stuff!

I still have the skin off the first big goat I ever shot....50 years ago!

She will surely remember that little adventure...and ask for another in a couple of weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    She sure is keen.... good on you guide Rangi.
    Crikey .... I'll say. I'm feeling a little inadequate....

You guys are an inspiration. Little lassy is putting you through paces, you sound out of breath

Keep doing it, keep making memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Inder View Post
    You guys are an inspiration. Little lassy is putting you through paces, you sound out of breath

Keep doing it, keep making memories.
    Haha. Yep. I was pushing through the heat and carrying a bit of meat. Excuses excuses. Oh, and I'm old. I should have waited a couple minutes after stopping for the puffing to go away.
    Inder likes this.

Nicely done.

Well done Dad.

Stuff like this pays dividends later, and is great fun while you are doing it.