Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Hypothesis: Disproven?

+1 for the recipe 308 posted. I use it most of the time, I reckon it makes a difference.
    RV1 likes this.

RV1
    legend - that will be helpful to try thanks! I've been using sachets of powdered sports drink to make "go go juice" to encourage the kids to keep walking when they flag on the hill, but am wary of the sweeteners and the colouring.... this might be a better option. I might add a drop or two of Ribena to add an interesting colour so they'll drink it.
    308 and Micky Duck like this.

Haven’t made it up in years, but it was good Scrogin .
    Energy chocolate, raisins, salted peanuts, dried fruit cut up apricot, glucose tablets broken into bits.
    Just carried in a plastic zip tie bag, grab a handful every now and then, on the run.
    Suppose snack bars, are easier but that mix worked well
    Micky Duck likes this.

I used that drink mix for quite some time...be aware someone either on this forum or the other one wrote out really scarey thread when they cocked it up and double dosed themselves and it had naaasty side effects.
    must make myself up another wee jar of it to use,been using squincher quite a lot in last 12mths..and they provide it at work so its going in pretty much all the time...geez I hope its all good LOL.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    there is another issue... you are clearly not keto adapted. If you were your body would be functioning by converting fat into glucose. It takes time to get into ketosis and stored glucose will not last in you system for days when you are burning it aggressively.

I have been tempted to do the same thing, but would only attempt to do so if I was fully fat adapted, and I would still ensure access to electrolytes.
    Fair comment, but in my case I am. I switched between keto and carb based fairly frequently and never have any ‘flu’ symptoms
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Average-Lad View Post
    Fair comment, but in my case I am. I switched between keto and carb based fairly frequently and never have any ‘flu’ symptoms
    Just curious, do you actually measure your blood ketone levels to ensure you’re in ketosis or just guess. Only ask as a mate follows keto diet and it’s not something you just switch to effortlessly.
    paremata likes this.

yeah well have fun playing around with that - but after years of culling and working in the bush what if it all fucks up and you are caught out - what has your body got to run on for a couple of days out in the elements - nothing -- good luck - at least try to get a fire going and stay warm you are going to need it - but if injured well ya could be fucked
    7mmwsm, kotuku, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    Just curious, do you actually measure your blood ketone levels to ensure you’re in ketosis or just guess. Only ask as a mate follows keto diet and it’s not something you just switch to effortlessly.
    When I’m going hard for a cut I use keto strips to test. If I want to jump start I’ll fast and exercise for a day which speeds up the switch. More often you do it the easier your body switches.

I’m no expert though a lot of people simply get into very light ketosis and drop out everytime they eat, even fat based foods. Maybe I’m in that camp. Only way to truly know is to wear a continuous blood glucose monitor. I’ve never been that hardcore about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    yeah well have fun playing around with that - but after years of culling and working in the bush what if it all fucks up and you are caught out - what has your body got to run on for a couple of days out in the elements - nothing -- good luck - at least try to get a fire going and stay warm you are going to need it - but if injured well ya could be fucked
    thats sort of what I was aiming at re 6 pack of noodles.....no worries to carry it...just in case.
    Average-Lad likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    thats sort of what I was aiming at re 6 pack of noodles.....no worries to carry it...just in case.
    yeah agree Micky Duck noodles some barley sugars perhaps
    Micky Duck likes this.

Perhaps this series is useful - the "science of training" featuring actual measurements...

https://youtu.be/QqGERlAuzos

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    There was a guy on a podcast I listened to who decided to go full keto not long before going on a mountain goat hunt in central asia. He got keto flu and altitude sickness at the same time and spent the trip lying on the floor of the tent while his mates went hunting. At a guess a trip like that is $20000 plus which he will never see again and there's plenty of into that backs up what you said about it not being a diet you can decide to suddenly do.
    Pack out heavy

Another one is this stuff called Enerlyte

I keep a box in the bathroom drawers rather than take it out on the hill - I find rehydration helps with hangovers or if you have the shits
    Chemist only, tastes reassuringly medicinal
    Micky Duck and Average-Lad like this.

This is an interesting article about sodium supplements and ultramarathon runners.
    https://relentlessforwardcommotion.c...ltramarathons/

From what I could see taking sodium supplements made no difference to hyponatremia. It seemed that the major predictor of hyponatremia was a lack of preparation, in that it seemed to occur more in runners that had done less training.
    Micky Duck, MB and paremata like this.

I always take electrolyte sachets and/or salt pills (I sweat quite egregiously though).

Something like the below.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-02-14 074104.png
Views: 109
Size:  72.3 KB
    paremata, RV1 and Average-Lad like this.