Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Innovative pig trapping - True story

Innovative pig trapping - True story

The caterpillar trail of college kids meandered through the valley towards our campsite. Periodic shrieks from one or two girls suggested their city sneakers were getting muddier. The most dominant sound though was from alpha male, who with regular sugar fuelled bellows, announced how he intended dispatching pigs during the trip. I shelved his comments and figured how to sort the city boy out.

In our clearing, boys and girls were directed to set areas and began setting up their bivvies. All shelters were simply a triangle of polythene with packs stacked at the windward end. Alpha’s comments still dominated the general chatter and I was becoming a tad pissed with his presence. I whistled the group together to explain protocols regarding boundaries, environmental considerations and where to toilet. We walked the clearing so everyone could see what I wanted.

At one point, there was reasonably fresh pig rooting.
    “Whassat Mister?” Asked Alpha.
    I explained it was pig rooting and reasonable fresh. I flipped the turf back over to show how the grass hadn’t yet yellowed. Furthermore I exaggerated the size of the responsible pig, suggesting it was a loner by the deepness of the hole, the marks (that I’d scuffed) and the likelihood he’d return that night. Alpha began to fidget and went quiet.

An opportunity presented itself. I suggested that this solo boar who’d probably ripped the turf with significant tusks, was after worms. Kids nodded in ignorant agreement that worms were bigger the deeper underground they lived and the boar knew this. Hence the deep rooting. I sent Alpha to the main shelter for a spade.

“If you dig a really deep hole and ensure its sides are straight, it’ll trap any pig”, I said.

“How’s that Mister?” he asked.

“Well, they know there are big worms down deep so they force themselves head first into the hole, pushing really hard to get to the bottom. You’ll know that pigs are basically an isosceles triangle, so once they get past their shoulders, they get jammed.”
    I casually stuck the spade in the ground and sauntered off.

Towards dusk and as kids prepped for the night, I scanned the boundary of the clearing. Alpha was on his eleventh hole.

MSL
    Keep ‘em coming mate. Entertaining little reads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    I scanned the boundary of the clearing. Alpha was on his eleventh hole.

guess it gave you somewhere to poop in the morning
    veitnamcam and Ingrid 51 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

There is trick like that to catch ducks. You dig a narrow corridor sloping progressively down into the side of a bank not far from a water hole where ducks are usually living.
    Just put some corn along the trench you just dug.
    Ducks can’t walk backward and they won’t be able to spread their wings due to the narrowness of the corridor. A good way of catching them alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    There is trick like that to catch ducks. You dig a narrow corridor sloping progressively down into the side of a bank not far from a water hole where ducks are usually living.
    Ducks can’t walk backward and they won’t be able to spread their wings due to the narrowness of the corridor. A good way of catching them alive.
    greased and baited 44 gallon drum gets piglets too
    buryed set on a angle

Banned
    How about this one, a boar catching snare
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXR93P8EnxM

whats the thing he puts in its mouth

looks like a spring loaded noose to hold by the snout

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    My grandad did that but I think it was pheasants he was talking about another trick of his was grain soaked in beer

Banned
    Like a psychopath going through his rituals, that Jap bloke. He does the same with a Sika
    blip likes this.

This is what happens to animals when you live in a country with severe limits on gun ownerships ….I guess?
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    How about this one, a boar catching snare
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXR93P8EnxM
    Fark that was brutal. Surely any gain in 'freshness' of keeping it alive would be lost by the stress/pain the animal was placed under for what was maybe 6-8 hours?

Difficult to pass judgement how people feed their families without a bit more knowledge, but actually found that quite hard to watch.

Good point Friwi, but he still could have stuck it a lot sooner, or even some sort of lance if he was worried about getting too close. Not often I feel sorry for pigs, but this one...
    blip likes this.
    bunji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yeah_na_missed View Post
    Fark that was brutal. Surely any gain in 'freshness' of keeping it alive would be lost by the stress/pain the animal was placed under for what was maybe 6-8 hours?

Difficult to pass judgement how people feed their families without a bit more knowledge, but actually found that quite hard to watch.

Good point Friwi, but he still could have stuck it a lot sooner, or even some sort of lance if he was worried about getting too close. Not often I feel sorry for pigs, but this one...
    yeah lance it straight away - I would not mind betting it was bruised to hell - and the front jaw hold - I bet it was a hook under jaw - yuk

Banned
    I dont envy any blokes who's daughter he dated. He uses the spring loaded snare to catch the pig and then more of the same snares to stretch it out like a guitar string, before trussing up the poor bastard. You wouldnt want a dog along on that mission