Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Into the Ruahines

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    enjoyed that....feed your dog up a bit will you...lol....looks rather calm for a visla,you must be doing something right.
    Yeah, she's a skinny bitch, I only post the videos of her being calm! She's actually pretty calm for a 18 month vizsla though.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    No shortage up there eh. Good work shooting ten, not easy country to get around closer to the main range. Good proof for doc to open a few more heli sites up in time.
    That's the plan. If we could land away from the huts behind Sawtooth, just NZDA groups.... :-) Imagine the carnage you could cause!
    HGM77 and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    That's the plan. If we could land away from the huts behind Sawtooth, just NZDA groups.... :-) Imagine the carnage you could cause!
    Could be worth a try....that's what the Sika Foundation have going on in the Kaimanawas/Kawekas.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Tried everything. Mutton flaps. Mitimix. Dewormed etc

Seems to be a young Visla thing.
    Funny her brother is a little fatty.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Walking my rifle
    Ive never been down the Ruahines, couldnt be bothered travelling that far for a deer, keeping my freezer full up here. But got me wondering, are there specific spots in the Ruahines that these huge numbers are in? Or just all the open areas? How do you find a spot like that down there? Wouldnt mind going for a shot if i ever get down that way for something
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieZAR View Post
    Ive never been down the Ruahines, couldnt be bothered travelling that far for a deer, keeping my freezer full up here. But got me wondering, are there specific spots in the Ruahines that these huge numbers are in? Or just all the open areas? How do you find a spot like that down there? Wouldnt mind going for a shot if i ever get down that way for something
    The Ruahines are currently rotten with deer you don't have to travel to far see a heap.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum and HGM77 like this.

This thread and vid gives the biv, the area and the fact that he left 40 deer for you. Go for it!
    HGM77, Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    This thread and vid gives the biv, the area and the fact that he left 40 deer for you. Go for it!
    I’ll put some x’s on a map too! 😀

Walking my rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    Haha geuss i should have watched the video before commuting

Walking my rifle
    I’ll put some x’s on a map too! ��
    Those are always welcome

Haha geuss i should have watched the video before commuting
    No problems. It’s always hard finding new places and getting to know where the deer are. Fortunately the Ruahines are full of them and anywhere 2-3 hours walk in will be good hunting, the further we’ve walked in recently the more we’ve seen. They’re very easy to find in the open tussock country, it’s just wether you can get close enough for a shot and if they are recoverable.
    Depending on where you’re coming from you may be driving past a lot of deer though. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Could be worth a try....that's what the Sika Foundation have going on in the Kaimanawas/Kawekas.....
    Not quite. If you aren’t a foundation member you pay a slightly higher cost to access those pads.
    Restricting access based on membership of a club probably wouldn’t fit with the CMS for the area. If it was to open up it would have to be as available as possible to anyone seeking to fly in and hunt.
    outdoorlad and BSA270 like this.

Thanks for sharing that footage. Very nice.

Lovely coloursl thanks for sharing. So nice to see hunters out in T-shirts. I might as well talk of dragons if I told the local oldies that...
    Tahr likes this.

Walking my rifle
    No problems. It’s always hard finding new places and getting to know where the deer are. Fortunately the Ruahines are full of them and anywhere 2-3 hours walk in will be good hunting, the further we’ve walked in recently the more we’ve seen. They’re very easy to find in the open tussock country, it’s just wether you can get close enough for a shot and if they are recoverable.
    Depending on where you’re coming from you may be driving past a lot of deer though. :-)
    Thank you for the info, yeah you are right i would be driving past a lot of deer, i can fill my freezer and have been from quite a few spots within 1.5-2.5hr of Hamilton, so me going all the way to thw Ruahines will only really be if i happen to be down there for work or if i wanna do a trip just to at least say that i have been in the ruahines.