Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree24Likes
  • 6 Post By HNTMAD
  • 1 Post By Timmay
  • 3 Post By wsm junkie
  • 2 Post By Zamkiwi
  • 1 Post By Scouser
  • 1 Post By Hindquarters
  • 5 Post By 338 man
  • 1 Post By Scouser
  • 1 Post By Nick-D
  • 2 Post By POME
  • 1 Post By BruceY

Thread: Kaimanawa wander

Kaimanawa wander

Anyhoo, photo story really, A weekend became available so some plans were put in place for my first trip into the Kaimanawa, more so to Clements Mill Road to chase these Jap's that everyone talks of, having been in the Kaweka 4 times and only having managed to shoot 1 so far it was an itch that needed scratching.

Left Upper Hutt looking like this (from out drive looking up to Mt Climie)
    Name:  P1040606.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  666.3 KB

Had to turn left and not right
    Name:  P1040608.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  1,012.2 KB

And left here
    Name:  P1040621.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  1,023.4 KB

and finally a right here
    Name:  P1040619.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  948.9 KB

Stayed 1 night here
    Name:  P1040658.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  439.5 KB

Next day saw me hunting the Kaimanawa for the first time, very different to the Ruahine and Haurangi. Managed to bump and see running at mach 10, 2 sika, a 3rd i managed to see broadside at 40 meters but it only gave me a head shot on account of a convieniently placed damn tree over the big bit, so a decision was made and there is now 1 more wiser spiker counting his lucky stars. (OH AND I MISSED Lips Sealed) also another 2 were heard departing unseen

Found some of this stuff
    Name:  P1040642.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  1.12 MBName:  P1040644.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  1.13 MBName:  P1040645.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  1.09 MBName:  P1040649.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  1.10 MBName:  P1040653.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  1.04 MB

I then went to pre determined camp spot and set up waiting for the late arrival of the rest of the crew

Next morning we all headed off together and one by one split off into our various spots, Fern (my dog) and i managed to bump another 3 unseen deer and another that is etched in my mind as i write this, as Fern and i headed down a ridge home an unseen stag bolted off from its spot under a tree hoovering up leaves but this time managed to run 270 degrees around me at mach 15 at all but 25m away, all six points pinned back dodging my 708 like trying to avoid a case of rabies, and again another stag a bit more wised up for the next guy

so all and all a good trip with great company, thanks guys, will be back for sure.

Hamish
    R93, Pengy, Scouser and 3 others like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Looks bloody cold, good on you for getting out.
    HNTMAD likes this.

I like your commitment man - couple of closed roads not even going to stop you getting out
    BRADS, TJM and HNTMAD like this.

Sika deer Running circles around us hunters for god knows how long.
    Always cracks me up on how many I hear departing or barking makes me wonder how many of the cheeky buggers are standing there watching then slip away.
    Good photos and winter mission Hamish
    Gibo and HNTMAD like this.
    Love walking my gun

Yeah i know that feeling only too well, stayed at Sika lodge too, my hunting ambition is to drop a Jap....wary foe!!!!!! this pic from Clements, Army camp...still shiver when i see it!!!!!!!!

HNTMAD likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Fulla
    Maybe a silly question. And I'm not planning on it, but could you legally hunt and kill a kaimanawa horse? I'm not sure why you would. I just figure they would be a pest as well, maybe on docs hit list as well?

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    Maybe a silly question. And I'm not planning on it, but could you legally hunt and kill a kaimanawa horse? I'm not sure why you would. I just figure they would be a pest as well, maybe on docs hit list as well?
    No.... they are protected !!
    bully likes this.

Good work Hamish ! A lot of hunters on forums talk more than than they "walk the talk" NO matter the japs gave you the cock in the ear. Welcome to the club.
    Ive been lucky and have shot ten 8pt japs. Im not a trophy hunter and fill the freezer 1st and i expect to shoot a deer each day in clements.
    my best advice is, keep the chin up and keep trying ( as soon as you drop your head they win )
    I dont even pretend to be the best sika hunter but have been thinking about having a training weekend down clements for forum members that want a hand learning the way of the ninja. (firearm safety around many hunters, navigation without GPS,tracking sign,
    Sika habits etc)
    I will post for interest before hand, If nothing else it will be a good party
    Scouser, POME, 10-Ring and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 338 man View Post
    Good work Hamish ! A lot of hunters on forums talk more than than they "walk the talk" NO matter the japs gave you the cock in the ear. Welcome to the club.
    Ive been lucky and have shot ten 8pt japs. Im not a trophy hunter and fill the freezer 1st and i expect to shoot a deer each day in clements.
    my best advice is, keep the chin up and keep trying ( as soon as you drop your head they win )
    I dont even pretend to be the best sika hunter but have been thinking about having a training weekend down clements for forum members that want a hand learning the way of the ninja. (firearm safety around many hunters, navigation without GPS,tracking sign,
    Sika habits etc)
    I will post for interest before hand, If nothing else it will be a good party
    I'm interested 338 man. .......very interested!!!!!!!!!
    338 man likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Indeed. Be a great excuse for a party hunt...
    338 man likes this.

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Looks chilly thanks for posting.
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    They're usually mustered and sold once a year. No you can't shoot them. There's actually an official form in the army you have to fill out if you accidentally shoot one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    I'm interested 338 man. .......very interested!!!!!!!!!
    +1. A good excuse to get out and meet a few of you lot.
    Scouser and Nick-D like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 man View Post
    ....I dont even pretend to be the best sika hunter but have been thinking about having a training weekend down clements for forum members that want a hand learning the way of the ninja. (firearm safety around many hunters, navigation without GPS,tracking sign, Sika habits etc). I will post for interest before hand, If nothing else it will be a good party
    Great idea Kelly. You'd do a thorough job of it too.

Yep 338, timing would be key but this ol fella's def interested....Clements been my stamp for 35 years or so love the place.....
    Nick-D likes this.