Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree34Likes
  • 32 Post By Rusky
  • 1 Post By Nick-D
  • 1 Post By Mooseman

Thread: Kaimanawas Hunt

Kaimanawas Hunt

Myself and forum member @Nick-D hatched a plan to do a fly camp in the Kaimanawas for a few nights in December to help fill a void of venison before the blowies turn up in force and the ground becomes cornflakes. I haven't shot a deer myself in over a year due to being too selective, others shooting them, but also due to trying to get a newbie hunter his first deer on public land (a challenge I accepted and will fulfill hopefully soon).

It's been a few years since I've fly camped, the old pack needed some TLC but I had upgraded my inflatable mattress to the new Thermarest NeoAir Xtherm 2023. I can confirm these are pretty comfortable and warm if anyone is thinking of buying one. R-value of 7.3 and thicker than older models. You do however pay a premium.

We setup camp, and Nick went his way and myself another direction for an evening hunt. I chose a steep drop down to the creek sidling down a spur. Deer sign was evident, but nothing too fresh to get me excited. Back at camp Nick had got close to some deer in some thick scrub but couldn't close the distance to get a shot. That night was spent listening to a local Morepork and a cheeky Sika whistling at us while in the confinements of our fart sacks.

Morning was upon us, and a plan hatched to hunt around ridges and return back to camp that evening. My ridge was scrubby to start with, but eventually opened up enough to start sidling off the side of a ridge. A well defined deer trail I followed going from broadleaf tree to another mixed in with pepperwood/beech. The broadleaf leaf litter was cleaned up under each tree, a good sign deer frequented the area.

I then decided to climb back onto the ridge and navigate my way along it as a saddle was coming up. These are deer magnets, and sure enough the sign became very fresh. Ninja time. Boots quietly off and into the pack, and socks on. My experience is that you are at least 3 times quieter with boots off allowing you to get closer to the deer. On my approach, I climbed over a log and got whistled at from a Sika out of my view which told everyone in the proceeds while departing. Deer 1, hunter 0.

Name:  Kaimanawas.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  3.54 MB

Moving on I found some open faces, and it absolutely stunk of deer. I was getting closer, I just had to be patient and take my time. I crept quietly along a game trail in the open area sidling parallel to a ridge above. I looked to my left and saw a deer shaped tree. I looked at it longer, and confirmed it wasn't a deer. I then took 1 step forward while looking in that same direction, and 2 deer came into view standing. Definitely not a tree. I quickly assessed what they were. An older hind and young hind. The Brno 223 was up, and there was a clear line of sight to the older hind, but the younger animal was obscured by a bit of scrub. Another half step forward and I had a small window of opportunity for the younger hind. I squeezed of, and the older deer ran downhill, while the younger hind disappeared. I was unsure on the direction of travel of the deer I had just shot at. I approached the crime scene, no blood or apparent heavy foot marks to follow. I went downhill to check for sign. Nothing. I spent a good 30 minutes looking below, and came back to the area. I then worked the ridge above, and found with relief what I was looking for, a heavy line of blood. I followed it over to the other side of the ridge, the blood trail undoubtedly confirming a good hit. I found her crumbled in heap within the hollow of a tree. On inspection the bullet had travelled through her heart one side out the other, a great feeling.

Name:  Deer.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  2.94 MB

She was in good condition and it was only midday, so I took my time to bone her out and let the meat cool. The hike back to camp with a heavy pack is always a great feeling. Nick-D had some fun exploring some new country but was unable to get onto anything worthwhile.

The BBQ will have some more variety this Christmas. Safe hunting everyone, and enjoy the summer festivities.

Great stuff well done

Great trip and report, well done.

Good hunt, always cool to explore new country. Broke my streak though! Have shot a deer every hunt since covid until this one. Never a bad day in the kaimanawa though.
    BRADS likes this.

Awesome report.

Oh congratulations Rusky, that's a job well done. Securing sika in dry conditions is pretty sweet. I'm sure they carry walky talkies, they're that clever. And shot in the second greatest calibre behind the 7mm08. Your the man.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

great stuff....now is that a pepperwood or five finger growing behind the fallen beast???
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Good story

Good stuff always interesting those sika.
    Rusky likes this.