Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree54Likes
  • 40 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Scott29er
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By stug
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Trout
  • 1 Post By madjon_
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 2 Post By Stag

Thread: Lilys best track - red hind down

Lilys best track - red hind down

The freezer was empty of venison, so it was time for a hunt. I took advantage of a fine day and went for an afternoon/evening hunt. I haven't been out for a while so my fitness wasn't the best. Heading up the last hill to where I intended hunting the legs were hurting so I played it safe and headed back to a lower, closer area to hunt. I followed a track down one side of a long spur, intending to hunt the other side as the wind would be in my favour.
    Eventually I cut over the ridge and headed into a basin. The opposite side was nice and scrubby and had good potential.
    I sat down and waited. Over an hour later I noticed 3 deer low down in the bottom of the gully. I slipped down the face to get a better view. I set the camera up, and then got the rifle set up over the pack, only to see the deer head back down into the scrub. I'm not sure if the smelt/heard/saw me.
    Feeling pretty annoyed I was about to head off when I saw the deer standing on the ridge. I set the camera up again and got back on the rifle. The shot surprised me a bit, but I saw the deer kick its back legs out and then disappear off into the scrub. I wasn't 100% confident of finding the deer.
    Lily (my dog) and I headed around the top of the basin and dropped down the face to where the deer had been. When we got to where the deer had been Lily immediately started tracking. I had her on the longline already so let her head off while followed about 4 m back.
    Initially there was no blood, and no prints. Lily was heading along a game trail, after about 20m there was some good blood on some bushes. We kept finding intermittent blood, but without Lily tracking it would have been hard to link them together. At one point she tracked uphill for about 10m. The scrub was really hard to move through and my pack kept getting caught up. Eventually Lily found the hind, It felt like 300-500m, but was probably only 100m.
    She had never tracked a deer for that far before. All the deer tracks were short and I had seen where the deer had fallen.
    In the end I had just trusted Lily, even when it seemed like we weren't on the track any more.

Well done Lilly! Great find.
    Good hunt.
    (Cripes you are like Theo - thats a good thing).
    stug likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Enjoyed that STUG. Will have to get our little Foxy into the tracking come spring.
    stug likes this.

good stuff...now let her pluck all the fur out of deer she likes,you cant bruise dead meat and Im buggered if I know what it is but all the deer dogs seem to do it...MAYBE its their way of letting off pent up frustration....sort of a "beep beep now you bugga" awesome the two of you gotyour mojo on and tracked that far,its a hard hard lesson to learn to trust the hounds super hooter....
    enjoy your venison.
    stug likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

@Micky Duck the previous deer to this one she was having a good old bite/pluck/chew on the carcass and ended up eating the arse right out of the deer and started pulling the intestines out. She always gets lots of praise and a bit of meat to eat of the carcass. I have to keep an eye on her or tie her up or else she helps herself to the backsteaks.

all good bud...its all good...... best you give her a hock or such like quicksmartly so you can have all the good bits LOL no worries with a stag,them family jewels keep dog happy .
    stug and Billbob like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Well done Stug n Lilly,enjoy yr venison.
    stug likes this.

Loved Lillys supervision.
    stug likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Nice work both of you there's a lot of good eating there.
    stug likes this.

Nice, late night bed hitting the sac I bet.

The maker of a fine stock and carrying a heavy lump of timber!
    stug and Micky Duck like this.