Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Making Blackpowder

Quote Originally Posted by Tasbay View Post
    You may notice madjon and I are both in the Nelson area. Gunworks and Gun city are the only 2 retailers I know of who sell Black Powder in the South Island and neither will freight it. At $85 per lb from Gun City Id just rather not buy it in the first place.
    I bought a sack of Potasiumnitrate a few years ago from fruitfed supplies, was about $60 for 40kg if I remember correctly... still going strong and hardly made a dent in the sack.
    I still use FFFFg for the flash pan and more oftern than not drop 4 grains of FFFg down the barrel first just as an ignighter with 80gr of home brew on top. Shoots the 50cal to the same point as with 80gr of bought FFg.
    In the 44Mag and Martini 577/450 its just a primer and a compressed load of home brewed, lead slugs of course.
    Home moulded lead bullets and homemade powder, very satisfing and hell of a cheap shooting.
    Never thought of making for my rifles, but have picked up cans thru guys getting out of shooting here in the BOP. It would be very satisfying. Try the net BP Clubs NZ there are guys on there selling it, which reminds me I've gotta go and load some more 45/70s
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Majdon mate,

send me a text if you are going to have a test run in your yard, I need time to hide under something solid just in case your homebrew is more grunty than expected and the blast radius might reach my place!
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

If I could get a decent upload,I could show the burnrate.She pretty quick
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

The whole Idea of DIY powder is just way too cool by 1/2. Well done that man.
    Maca49 likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

New business? Mad Jon's Big Bang?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

GWH
    When i was at high school a good mate of mine was into making bombs and anything else he could blow up. He started making his own black powder, but got sick of waiting for the stuff to dry, so in his great wisdom thought he would see if the mircowave oven would dry it out faster - Based on his results, i wouldnt recommend it!!!
    puku, sako75, veitnamcam and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    How very Yoda Gibo
    Easy way is better you may find
    Toby likes this.

Sounds like a mate of mine who 20 years ago used his wife's new Vacuum Cleaner to start the siphon to get petrol out of his car for the lawnmower. Vaccy last seen doing a rocket impersonation over the fence into a paddock after he miscalculated an it sucked a belly full of petrol and went whoopsie. Wife was not too happy
    Barefoot likes this.

Just had some Martini 577/450 brass arrive today from Gunworks re manufactured from straight shotgun cases. Loaded them to the brim with home brewed black powder then compressed with the bullet and a paper patch (430gr bullet).All set off with a large pistol primer Worked a treat. Very understanding neighbours around here.