Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: My roar 2022 - I learnt a lot!

I didn't lead the running shot enough on that first miss.

I only really shoot stationary deer as a rule (and i don't use or own a shotgun so don't have that experience with running/flying game either), so much more inexperienced with fleeting deer.

The trigger pull is 2.5lbs on all my kimbers. That being said, that only changed about 8 months ago, and this was the first deer shot at with the 300wsm by me.

Before the 300wsm came along i had 7mm08, but it had a factory trigger heavier than my kids nerf guns and i was really never aware of it until i got a trigger gauge to rule out accuracy issue with that rifle and also ensure all my rifles were alike as possible. I lightened all triggers to a consistent 2.5lbs, which helped with accuracy, but i think my muscle memory kicked in and for the second shot the shot went off before i had a proper aim.

I find the 300wsm a pleasure to shoot. I think its about 3.8kgs with sling, and supressor included.

also to add to flyblowns bit......what is the field of view like on that whopper of a scope when set on lowest power?????
    the wider the better for up close stuff.....practise throwing rifle to shoulder and getting on target lots helps too.... numerous objects can be targeted,it will surprise you how quickly you build up muscle memory and speed up your ability to do this..... the ability to aquire a target fast is the reason I love the low fixed power leupold scopes... my main rifle now wearing a 3x...it was wearing a fixed 4x and everything else for years has worn a 3x9 normally left on 3x
    shooting wallabies/hares with big rifle seems wasteful but man it sure gets you into the groove with your set up well.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Not sure about field of view tbh. I didn't find it lacking at 3.5 power though (which is what i had it set on in the bush).

It wasn't set up as a bush rifle. I'm setting up a Kimber Montana 308 for that role which will probably have a low powered scope set up.

I'd love to get out and knock over some wallabies at some point with it!. Need to do some investigation into where to go on public land.
    Micky Duck likes this.