Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree23Likes
  • 11 Post By Norway
  • 2 Post By Steelisreal
  • 1 Post By whanahuia
  • 5 Post By Norway
  • 2 Post By whanahuia
  • 1 Post By kukuwai
  • 1 Post By kukuwai

Thread: Nice chamois buck

Nice chamois buck

Quite enjoyed this hunt, but was a bit squeezed for time

I watched that on Sunday when it popped up on YouTube. You worked hard for that chamois for sure - well done! Some of that footage of the terrain made my stomach do flips... As a consequence I laugh every time I see the Pro Tip: Don't fall!
    Norway and Tahr like this.

Very cool! very solid Buck. SDo you have a horn length and girth measurement? Just trying to gauge what a good buck is compared to what we shoot over here.
    Norway likes this.

I don't have a clue either, I see chamois on these trips only. Here's the certificate they gave me, google translate says what it is. No idea how it is measured.
    Name:  chamois sertifikat.jpeg
Views: 318
Size:  389.0 KB
    Duljina riga = horn lenght
    Visina = height
    Opseg = circumference ?
    Raspon = span

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    I watched that on Sunday when it popped up on YouTube. You worked hard for that chamois for sure - well done! Some of that footage of the terrain made my stomach do flips... As a consequence I laugh every time I see the Pro Tip: Don't fall!
    Statistically the most dangerous thing you do in the outback is slip, trip or tumble (nearly 50% of all backcountry accidents). It seems very innocent and we all do it, but it can hurt and kill you fast! The second most dangerous thing is being hit in the head by falling objects, often released by your partner (that fist sized rock kicked loose, sliding, tumbling, bouncing, cascading...) I believe kiwis and austrians are where the "general population hunters" that has the most respect for these phenomenas together with skill to navigate these areas. The Austrians I've hunted with the last couple of seasons simply do mountains at a much higher level than me. And of course that exposure is currently putting my own progression on a fast-track.

To give you an indication of the terrain, the peaks in the background is just shy of 3800 m ASL.
    Name:  tirol_1.7.13.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  3.15 MB

I speak briefly about this in episode 363 and the "expert tip" together with the inclusion of all my falls and camera bumps is a long winded way of saying "identified dangers are not really dangerous as you know to avoid, it is when you don't pay attention the accidents happen". And that is what hurts you.

So with time and repetition, I hope to instill a sense of awareness for backcountry treks. I don't believe in a stern one-off lecture. If just one person lifts the head a little and contemplates what will smack and opening the eyes to what potential energy is in the terrain... mission accomplished.

Looks dangerous, but isn't. Every fiber of your body screams danger here.
    Name:  C0045T01 (1).JPG
Views: 295
Size:  426.2 KB

Looks soft, but isn't. Slide here and you'll pick up speed and tumble in no-time. There's not really anything to arrest you, you will have to "octopus" or use an axe. At home, those small rocks is typically what will kill a tourist skidding by, smacking the head or similar. Our Instagram spots are notorious for it in rainy weather.
    Name:  kipplauf (3).JPG
Views: 291
Size:  312.2 KB
    Last edited by Norway; 21-11-2023 at 09:20 PM.
    doinit, Mooseman, kukuwai and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Norway View Post
    I don't have a clue either, I see chamois on these trips only. Here's the certificate they gave me, google translate says what it is. No idea how it is measured.
    Attachment 237982
    Duljina riga = horn lenght
    Visina = height
    Opseg = circumference ?
    Raspon = span
    Thanks for that. In Kiwi measure it equates too a 10 inch buck with 3.5 inch bases. Very good!, so I have to wonder at what a gold medal buck gos if thats considered Bronze.
    Norway and kukuwai like this.

Id take a 'bronze' one like that any day

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Norway likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Quote Originally Posted by Norway View Post
    To give you an indication of the terrain, the peaks in the background is just shy of 3800 m ASL.
    Attachment 237983
    Amazing ah....all higher than mt cook 3754m asl.

So different !!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Norway likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Hi Norway , great video. what bipod are you running on your rifle? I really like the look of it, looks practical and simple.

It's Neopod by Steinert Sensing https://www.steinertsensing.com/butikk/neopod
    but street price is way below https://www.jaktogfriluft.no/jakt/sk...bipod-uadapter

I suspect Steinert is better for selling abroad and might do a pricematch

The Neopod is a unique niche product, which is probably why it doesn't sell in numbers! Incredibly light, feels a little too low on the range but so far no complaint in the field. The lightness and construction makes me nervous, so I don't carry it attached to the rifle but rather snap it on when needed. Pretty sure you might break it if you apply too much pressure or tumble the rifle.

It is better than the Spartan Javelin as you will be fighting the non-adjustable height by compromising your position, so I wouldn't look at that option at all.
    Spartan Valhalla or Gunwerks Elevate are the two options I am aware of that I'd also consider.

Bipods tend to be a compromise somewhere between weight/features/size and between those three you should be able to do what's best for you.

I arrived at the Neopod as I didn't want a bipod on this rifle, but also not willing to make poorer shots on the animals. A couple of years in, I'm very happy with my choice.

very cool - will give this a watch after work.

beautiful looking country