Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree43Likes
  • 42 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By grandpamac

Thread: Nothing to see here

Nothing to see here

Have been out hunting a grand total of one time since moving back to Oamaru last June so I decided bugger it I'm going for a nosey no matter what last Thursday. The weather was forecast to be bloody warm, 30 degrees so I wasn't holding out much hope. Was a bit late out of bed but Bo got me up eventually, he had been fizzing since the night before seeing my pack and gear etc stacked up by the door ready to go. Got to the carpark about 6.30am which was full daylight but the heat hadn't set in so we made tracks to gain some elevation and get the far lookers out for a scan about. Big open country so I thought any critters would probably be parked up pretty close to any little cover they could find and in the vicinity of a water source. I spotted two Hinds about 2km away but they were safe from me, call me soft but don't really make a point of shooting hinds at this time of year and I definitely wasn't dragging myself all the way over there. I was surprised at the lack of sign as the south facing slopes still had awesome feed on them for this tile of year and zero browse or recent sign on them, I assume the choppers have probably had a go through the area in the past 6 months. It was pretty windy at times and Bo was pretty keen, he was getting scent but he will air scent a fair way out on this open type country so I just let the binos do most the walking. There was quite an amount of sign way up high on the very tops of the range in the really gnarly stuff so I think it might be worth and overnighter or a couple days to look for a Cham or Tahr but I didn't have time during the day. Bo was pretty keen at first as he hasn't been out for ages so I kept him on the lead for the first hour or so, after that he settled in and was making all the right moves there just wasn't any animals handy. It started to get really warm around lunchtime and I couldn't find any water on the tops, I shared half my water bladder with Bo and then made the decision to pull pin as it was a good walk back to the truck with no water and I didn't want to cook my dog. Little Howa Super lite was a dream to carry, think I have it sorted pretty good now, have epoxy bedded it and settled on the factory 150sst Superformance which it puts out at 2720fps which has plenty of snot out to 400yds, pretty neat for a 14.5" barrel and a rifle that weighs 2.5kg soaking wet with a scope on it.
    Was pretty parched by the time we got back to the truck and we had a dip in the first river Ford we came across on the way out. Was good to get out with my wee mate again, sometimes forcing yourself out there seems to reignite the spark so I'm back in planning mode again now. Cheers
    Name:  20240111_082445.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  4.70 MB

Could damn near milk cows off the feed on these faces!
    Name:  20240111_092739.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  5.74 MB

Name:  20240111_105257.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  5.48 MB

Name:  20240111_105257.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  5.48 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    7mmsaum, Shootm, Tahr and 39 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Bo has got his "this is where I belong boss" look on. Great bit of countryside to get out and about on.

Nice looking country. Bo looks happy to be there.

Its good just to be out there looking forward to our short trip in a couple of weeks..
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    sometimes forcing yourself out there seems to reignite the spark
    That's the true'ist words I have seen spoken on this forum since ages ago !!

Good on ya Ryan. Looking forward to the overnight report

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

What an awesome spot and write up

Great looking area.

Greetings,
    It is supposed to be 33 degrees here in MB today so I am sweltering in place.
    GPM.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

I think you will find the stags above the bucks and bulls at this time of year. Looks well worth while going back.

Great looking spot.