Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Old fart exercise & 1080

Good stuff Bruce great to see you still out there doing it....out to my dad's 70th tomorrow.
    I know you know you NI guys love 1080 and I would too if they only did an area the size of someone's back yard every 10 years in low lieing country.

Go for a walk in the kahurangi national park and see how many rock wren, kea ,deer,and chamois you can spot while you are still able.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    Tahr, Happy and Maca49 like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

ebf
    Never underestimate cunning old farts

Well done gents, great writeup of your adventure.
    Tahr and WallyR like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Hugeklly enjoyable writeup proving obnce again that the experience and cunning that comes with age more than compensates for the enthusiasm and energy of youth, however the bowels remain problematic.
    Tahr likes this.

Bloody good yarn enjoyed that
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Good stuff Bruce great to see you still out there doing it....out to my dad's 70th tomorrow.
    I know you know you NI guys love 1080 and I would too if they only did an area the size of someone's back yard every 10 years in low lieing country.

Go for a walk in the kahurangi national park and see how many rock wren, kea ,deer,and chamois you can spot while you are still able.

How true is that my friend, deer are extremely thin on the ground through out the Kahurangi,Victoria and Paparoas .

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post

If we get 2 years locally without a drop we are lucky, even though saw the sign of many who have run the gauntlet and survived over the last few days.

Well

The hunting sounded awesome but the rest I was lost on. Do you promote the use of 1080 and think it’s a good thing ??

Removal of all mammals from the forest seems to be their goal but I may be confused as usual .

Last edited by Happy; 11-11-2017 at 07:59 PM.
    Maca49 likes this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    The hunting sounded awesome but the rest I was lost on. Do you promote the use of 1080 and think it’s a good thing ??

Removal of all mammals from the forest seems to be their goal but I may be confused as usual .

I don't have strong views.

But in spite of people saying 1080 repellent doesn't work my simple experience is that its been used several times in the Haurangis' and there is still a healthy deer population.
    Last edited by Tahr; 11-11-2017 at 08:23 PM.
    Marty Henry and Biggun708 like this.

Neat story, Tahr!!
    Tahr likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    impressive effort and an enjoyable yarn.
    Tahr likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I don't have strong views.

But in spite of people saying 1080 repellent doesn't work my simple experience is that its been used several times in the Haurangis' and there is still a healthy deer population.
    This might be inflamatory but Im mildly in favour of it (1080) due to experience. We lived on the ARC boundary when they 1080d the Hunua ranges in the 1990s, I opposed it along with heaps of others but it got done anyhow.
    The following spring there was a huge lift in birdlife from hardly any to bloody hundreds.
    The local pig hunting club who had been at the forefront of the protests found that when the area was reopened pig numbers had increased as had goats. (There never were deer in there ). The only downside was vigilance and muzzles for the working dogs.
    Another friend out Kawhia shares the same view.
    I think many people oppose its use because either they havnt seen the results first hand, believe the anti hype if its govt it must be bad, or object to being "locked out" of an area for a time.
    A neighbor sadly lost a dog to it during the Hunua operation and that was distressing its a horrible death for a dog but other species evidently behave differently. He admitted it was his mistake, and had to conceed it worked as his lemons were no longer skinned but his and our fruit trees were savaged by tui, woodies, and parakeets.
    Bundook, Savage1, Mooseman and 2 others like this.

I think it cures constipation, permanently!
    Badbootboy likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Good yarn!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    This might be inflamatory but Im mildly in favour of it (1080) due to experience. We lived on the ARC boundary when they 1080d the Hunua ranges in the 1990s, I opposed it along with heaps of others but it got done anyhow.
    The following spring there was a huge lift in birdlife from hardly any to bloody hundreds.
    The local pig hunting club who had been at the forefront of the protests found that when the area was reopened pig numbers had increased as had goats. (There never were deer in there ). The only downside was vigilance and muzzles for the working dogs.
    Another friend out Kawhia shares the same view.
    I think many people oppose its use because either they havnt seen the results first hand, believe the anti hype if its govt it must be bad, or object to being "locked out" of an area for a time.
    A neighbor sadly lost a dog to it during the Hunua operation and that was distressing its a horrible death for a dog but other species evidently behave differently. He admitted it was his mistake, and had to conceed it worked as his lemons were no longer skinned but his and our fruit trees were savaged by tui, woodies, and parakeets.
    It is a horrible death to any four legged animal and they all behave the same when poisoned. Goats are not susceptible to the degree that deer are and remain in numbers after poison drops. To poison pigs and do a good job then dead goat or wild sheep carcases are laced with 1080,once again a horrible death.
    Pigs will however scavenge dead rabbits and coons that have been 1080'd and after a guts full,guess what.
    Far too many people take the 1080 spin on the chin and really know bugger all about it.
    Depending on weather conditions repellent will only last a very short time and once washed off it's back to normal,very deadly.
    Repellent has never been used in the Kahurangi,Victoria or Paparoas,hence the extremely low deer numbers and they intend to keep dropping.
    veitnamcam, Happy and Maca49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    Repellent has never been used in the Kahurangi,Victoria or Paparoas,hence the extremely low deer numbers and they intend to keep dropping.
    They intend to exterminate everything with 4 legs in those areas and if rock wren or any other endemic species are made extinct as a result they couldn't give a shit...it just gives them more ammo to use even more poison.
    doinit and Steve123 like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.