Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree30Likes
  • 26 Post By deer243
  • 1 Post By deer243
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 2 Post By Ftx325

Thread: One for the Bucket list...Fallow with timber!

One for the Bucket list...Fallow with timber!

Hi, time for another bush stalking report.
    Couple weeks ago went to a old haunt and long story short, tracked another deer down in the bush and for the 4th time in a row the big spiker got away.
    Just didnt see it sitting down in the sun until it was too late, and him and a yearling with it was gone before i had any chance to get a shot away.

Oh well, life of a bush stalker, not always easy thats for sure. Next trip was today and due to the weather plan A, B, and c was out due to the fact i didnt want get too wet (happens when you get older lol)
    So i decided i head back to the fallow country, the least likely spot i get wet and the mosd hunted country in the nelson area.

Still, last time i shot a fallow there and had high hopes i get another one today.Due to huge numbers of foot traffic i left early as and was happy to be the first one there.
    Good walk in the dark then headed of to the secret spot lol. Wasnt long before i came across a nice little creek that looked good for a deer and had a good look around.
    Nothing, but decided i hope down the bank to look for some sign.
    Well, of course as soon as i do that, hidden only 30 yards away feeding hard against the bank is a fallow yearling . Crap, it was off and even thou was good to see could of been a easy deer with a little luck.
    Still, had plenty of hunting to go and off i went. Headed straight to the same spot i shot the last one . Only sign i saw were boot marks, not ideal one was thinking!(not so secret lol)

Arrived at the same ridge, about the same time as i got the last fallow and had a sit down. Appeared nothing was around so i thought i can head high and see what i can find.
    Only just got up and high ahead of me i noticed a branch moving and it wasnt the wind.
    Had a good look, and waited then 2 branchs started to move, then i realized i doubt those branches, but antlers!

Sure enough, the head of a fallow Buck appears(well a spiker). Couldnt believe my luck, same spot, same time but different day and a deer is feeding down the ridge toward me

Name:  DSCF1113.JPG
Views: 554
Size:  553.9 KB

On this trip had the 223, not only thought it be more suited for fallow but the 243 is in the bad books after the last few hunts so was banished to the gunsafe for a week or two lol.

The spiker was behind a bush, and i was standing in the open with nothing to rest on and kneeing down was out of the question because of the angle so a free standing shot from 70 m was how
    it was going to be .

I waited for 30 seconds , then the fallow started to move thru the gap that gave me a clean shot. i really wanted this deer. never have i shot a fallow with timber, and even thou its not a monster
    its a start and its on the bucket list.
    Pop goes the 223, a 55gr fed powershok is on its way. THUMP!! as a soild hit eches out and the fallow is of down the ridge.

Knew it was hit hard, but it covered about 50 m or so then headed over the brow and out of sight.
    Hope the shot was good, and not gut shot or some bs i was thinking as i headed up the bank in pursuit. Needed not to worry, as soon as i got over the top of the bank the spiker was 2 metres away down..
    Yes, sucess and a bucket list animal. Now just for a mature buck and i be stroked

Name:  DSCF1112.JPG
Views: 536
Size:  588.7 KB

Only a spiker, a 4 pointer but its got timber and that do me and it will be prime eating.

Name:  DSCF1110.JPG
Views: 549
Size:  616.4 KB

Shot the deer at 805am. boned it out and on the way back to the 4x4 ran into a few people, another hunter and gave him some pointers .
    On arriving back to the car wasnt any surprise to see 16 cars lol.
    Couple of hunters, trampers, walkers etc but i did say the most hunted place in Nelson, ...at least the highest foot traffic lol.

still, as they say, the early bird gets the worm!!
    Cheers

Huk
    Popped his eyes to good shot plenty of good eating there

it got such a fright...its eyeballs are still all bulgy...LOL
    great writeup,enjoy the venison,fallow is pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    it got such a fright...its eyeballs are still all bulgy...LOL
    great writeup,enjoy the venison,fallow is pretty darn good.
    Yes, it was down when i got to him, still, was on his last breath so i put one in his head hence his pop eyes lol. First shot was just behind the front leg, hit the lungs, never was going far
    Micky Duck likes this.

Nice one.

Good going, That will taste primo.

yip the .223 tends to make eyes pop like that LOL.
    they sure are nicer sized deer to carry than big heavy reds..

Mean

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Good hunt n story,enjoy yr veni.

Great story and a heap of good venison for the freezer, nice work.

Well done great effort
    When hunting think safety first

Banned
    Looks like a 2yr old to me not a spiker
    hunterAT likes this.

pretty sure I know where you were and it is definately like grand central station around there. We were up there a few weeks back several huts in , saw 5 reds , a pig , and couple of goats but we were there 3 days and never got a shot off. on the walk out the rescue chopper was hovering by the waterfall ... turns out one of the many walkers twisted a knee and had to be choppered out. Put our thumbs out but wouldn't pick us up..... and with our heavy packs I could really have done with a lift too.
    Funny I have rarely seen any fallow with timber in there either if I am thinking the same spot.
    Nice work finding that one....
    deer243 and Micky Duck like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Looks like a 2yr old to me not a spiker
    I would say it was.