Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Oops

Oops

Name:  20240510_105632.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  4.29 MB

I think I may have miscalculated. On the left is my new firewood pile that is being loaded with wood from trees being removed. On the right is my wood shed currently 90% full. There is more dry wood in the barn. There are a lot of trees to remove. Can you see the problem?
    GPM.

I have never heard anyone say "I made the shed too big".
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I see money in the bank
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Good problems are good

I solved that problem when wood shed was full and I didn't want to build more fixed sheds
    I made 10 of these transportable wood sheds
    They hold a full cord
    Built off the ground so my loader forks go under easily
    All H4 treated pine from my own trees
    Hungry boards at front are loose

I take them to the wood source
    Process straight into them
    Fairly heavy when full of green firewood
    Stack them to get the sun nicely
    Shift 2 at a time close to house in winter
    Move the empty ones directly to the next green wood to fill them
    Swing in 2 more dry ones

Name:  20240510_113843.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  4.55 MB

It does help if you have lots of cheap H4 pine and an 8.5 Ton loader
    sneeze, veitnamcam, Trout and 24 others like this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I have never heard anyone say "I made the shed too big".
    Except it does cost a lot to fill a big shed with toys !
    veitnamcam and Rushy like this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Name:  20210626_094939.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  4.28 MB

Lacking a Loader this is my lo tech version. Two 1.8 metre posts set on bricks, bits of concrete or whatever with 1.2 metre lengths of branch wood to form base. Branch wood is cut up later. Wood stacked on top. Wood dries pretty well here over summer in HB. Set up near where wood is being cut and I can get a trailer to for a later shift to the house wood shed. More work intensive but dirt cheap.
    Grandpamac.
    veitnamcam, doinit, Beaker and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    I see money in the bank
    sell it

Can you see the problem?

not a bad problem to have

the 1000ltr IPC containers work really well.... lots of folks using them around here for wood...as long as have forks to shift them when full its too easy. cut plastic up to make lid/roof and stack wood in the metal frame.
    BRADS, timattalon, kukuwai and 1 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

@Micky Duck is onto it.

Its actually very clever. I will take a photo tomorrow for you Plenty along the road from here !

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

With the IBC's I cut the lid off the top of the plastic bladder tank and when the wood is stored inside it stops the dust and bark crud going everywhere. The 'lid' or top of the bladder (I cut them off at the height of the second horizontal bar down) makes a handy rain cover outside or a planting pot/garden for veges etc.

Other than that I'm of the opinion that one cannot have enough firewood at all. Although I do run out of inside storage... In the current setup, firewood means if the power goes out I have hot home heating still going, hot water heating still going, and with a small generator I can still power the household water pump. Much better than relying solely on electricery - which when the magic stops leaves you completely buggered.
    veitnamcam, BRADS, 6x47 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    With the IBC's I cut the lid off the top of the plastic bladder tank and when the wood is stored inside it stops the dust and bark crud going everywhere. The 'lid' or top of the bladder (I cut them off at the height of the second horizontal bar down) makes a handy rain cover outside or a planting pot/garden for veges etc.

Other than that I'm of the opinion that one cannot have enough firewood at all. Although I do run out of inside storage... In the current setup, firewood means if the power goes out I have hot home heating still going, hot water heating still going, and with a small generator I can still power the household water pump. Much better than relying solely on electricery - which when the magic stops leaves you completely buggered.
    When power was out for a week during Gabrielle firewood and the wet back kept the showers warm and the gas hobb kept the meals hot. We have a header tank filled from a well with a pump which was out but the tank will last three weeks or so so we had water, We do have a house pump but can do without it as one of the showers is set up for low pressure. We were very lucky.
    GPM.
    308, Marty Henry, 57jl and 1 others like this.

Yeah, it pays to work on the contingencies... I have just picked up a 10" size water filter housing that has the rubber fitting that pushes over a standard tap size outlet, or a bench sink faucet or mixer outlet. Cleaned it up, got a 2 micron carbon block filter for it and it went into a click clack container for the "just in case" or even if we are travelling somewhere where the water is heavily chlorinated or has the nasty chemical taste that the kids don't do (our water is virtually tasteless and UV sterilised so 'gold standard' although some people seem to think that it's better with the microbes etc left in it alive - they are still in there just deactivated...).

Main problem I do have is that it's been so bloody wet around here that any wood left outside rots quickly and almost starts before it's dry enough to burn in terms of retained sap. It's a pain in the arse as anything we want as fuel wood effectively must be under cover unless it's a hard or fruiting type wood. Bollocks as we have about 3 or 4 years worth and with the improvements in thermal management to the house we have cut the amount we burn down to about 2 or so full IBC's. Really it is a super efficient way to heat a house, way more efficient than electricity or gas in terms of energy consumed it's just not as clean as electricity.

I remember when we wanted to replace our fireplace when we were in the city (Chch) we got the permit (mid 2000s) and the council lady offered us a $500 discount if we pulled the fire and replaced it with a heat pump. I said I already had a heat pump and did not want another one when there was nothing wrong with the first one....She seemed to be unable to fathom why we would want a fireplace when we already had a 'better ' heater with the heat pump.....I replied cos the heat pump wont work ing a power cut...her reply Chch is a city- we dont get power cuts that much....roll on 2011 and power was out for days or longer post quakes.....so glad we had a heat source that used wood...built a new place a few years back and got a fireplace.....

And as mentioned above bigger sheds just mean ore stuff inside 93sqm of garage and we still park cars outside......

I like the stacking ideas...these will help solve a small issue here too....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Good problems are good

I solved that problem when wood shed was full and I didn't want to build more fixed sheds
    I made 10 of these transportable wood sheds
    They hold a full cord
    Built off the ground so my loader forks go under easily
    All H4 treated pine from my own trees
    Hungry boards at front are loose

I take them to the wood source
    Process straight into them
    Fairly heavy when full of green firewood
    Stack them to get the sun nicely
    Shift 2 at a time close to house in winter
    Move the empty ones directly to the next green wood to fill them
    Swing in 2 more dry ones

It does help if you have lots of cheap H4 pine and an 8.5 Ton loader
    You are the John Browning of domestic firewood processing. Very cool.
    Just...say...the...word