Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree44Likes
  • 38 Post By Forestry
  • 3 Post By Murray N
  • 2 Post By craigc

Thread: Rain, River and a few deer

Rain, River and a few deer

Rain, river and a few deer

Arrived near Taihape for a few days of hunting and fishing while my partner went riding. The first night saw a few temping deer about 600metres across the river from camp on some scrubby clearings on private land. They were safe from me and anyway I was heading further back into the native to explore. The night was impressive with a huge lightning and thunder storm which had the rivers uncrossable the next morning so I went exploring in the Ute and ended up taking a drive up to Comet hut. It’s a nice drive getting up high with impressive views across excellent sika country.

Name:  C067C14C-6476-4D5F-9758-AB7417FB90C8.jpeg
Views: 700
Size:  4.78 MBName:  C067C14C-6476-4D5F-9758-AB7417FB90C8.jpeg
Views: 700
Size:  4.78 MB

The best is the private land on Ngamatea and Pohukura but there is plenty of hunting and fishing on DOC land if you are willing to walk. I didn’t have time today to visit the historic Shutes hut and the Taruarau river would have been uncrossable based on the flow under the road bridge I crossed earlier. The wind was howling but you don’t know if you don’t try so I soon had the trusty 284 unpacked for a short hunt/walk. After a sweaty club through the wilding pines to the Komata trig I found some nice beech areas and sidled off the track for a stalk. The problem was the pines, and every time the nice bush ran out it would get crappy. I did spook a deer at one stage in some thick stuff but just heard it running off without a sighting. Eventually I cut back onto the track and headed back to the Ute. I’m sure there are good patches of bush if you know the spot better and the odd clearing to watch also. It looked like the faces down the Ngaruroro side had better beech pockets below the scrub belt. I checked a few rivers on the way back but they were all brown and dirty.

Next day the forecast was very heavy rain in the morning so I slept in only to find it didn’t arrive early. After a lazy breakfast and missing the best hunting hours the rain came but the river had dropped enough so I put on the raincoat and went exploring. I could see a stream a few hours walk that had nice clearings on the satellite maps. I even took the old Kilwell packaway fly rod in case some trout were around…..a mistake I would regret later when pushing though bush for hours. The phone gps saved me taking the wrong ridge at one stage but I dropped into the stream around lunchtime and had a one square meal (my main hunting food) and a packet of salami. It was raining on and off and the worst time of day for hunting but I headed downstream to find the slips and clearings. About 1.30pm I found a nice spot to look across and in the 8x30 swaros tucked under a tree keeping dry I spotted a good sized deer facing me and lying down. I knew it wasn’t going anywhere in this weather so out came the rangefinder and 312 yards was the distance. No wind - 4.2 clicks up on the VX3 and down with the daypack for a good rest. With the scope on 10x zoom I felt pretty steady so centered on the chest and sent a 162 ELDX on the way. Thump stagger and roll went the deer and another one stood up behind it and reasonably side on so same again. This one wobbled around and I was going to use the last in the Tikka mag when it also fell over. Feeling pretty happy I spent some time sorting out decent landmarks to locate them before things went a bit wrong.

Name:  28CA9154-7C30-45DA-84FD-905E246CBD45.jpeg
Views: 634
Size:  1.38 MB

Dropping down to the roaring stream I hit a 10m high bluff with the same on the other side. Sidling down further in slippery conditions to find a better place I then got bluffed again from a side creek and had to climb around a nasty piece. Same problem again as the stream just cut through a gorge and I couldn’t get down and could see there was no way to climb out. It just wasn’t worth dying for some meat so in the end I gave up and climbed back up into the bush to sidle downstream further.

I even put the scope cover back on which reminded me to wind back the elevation dial and also the zoom ring. That’s when Lady Luck came through and about 10minutes later I looked down to see a young hind walking up toward me. As I pulled off the scope cover and closed the bolt she looked up but too late and I put the cross hairs on the chest and dropped her. This time I had some meat so took the best cuts and boned out a leg.

Name:  84685646-F52C-4729-9E6B-F3A21AA70B06.jpeg
Views: 631
Size:  1.39 MB

Continuing on I tried to sidle around and shorten the distance home. Again a mistake as bluffs and stinging nettle made progress slow. The fishing rod was catching on bushes which made things even worse. I got a peek at one stage that showed my planned route was nasty so cut my losses and climbed a long ridge back toward where I had come that morning. My phone GPS (in a zip lock bag to keep it dry) helped again as up high the country flattened out and it was hard to pick the right ridge to drop back on. Makes me wonder how I used to operate in my younger days…..you get there in the end but the GPS saves a lot of extra back tracking and stress. I even came across one more hind in a clear spot on the ridge but passed up the shot as I was feeling wet and tired and didn’t need more weight to slow me down. I sneaked in close before it spooked and ran off barking. I was sore but happy when I made it back to camp.

The next day I went for a drive to look at the bridge near gravity canyon - now that’s a scary view. A few goats were hanging off some steep faces nearby

Name:  5F35CF1B-5C99-4E84-8907-7BA4268CB408.jpeg
Views: 704
Size:  3.69 MB

I was pretty happy to shoot my first real bush deer for a while. Next time I’d like to hunt the Ruahine tussock and find some suitable rivers for fishing.

Proper NZ.
    Just...say...the...word

Good story, the Mokai bridge at Gravity canyon is a mean view that's for sure.
    As Flyblown said 'Proper NZ'

I was hunting a few kilometers north of where you were and experienced the thunderstorm first hand , i knew the storm was getting closer and made the decision not to return to camp , i have to say , the torrential rain coupled with continuous lighting and thunder would rate as one of the most memorable experiences i have ever had in the bush in my 73 years
    Micky Duck, Maxx and Forestry like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray N View Post
    I was hunting a few kilometers north of where you were and experienced the thunderstorm first hand , i knew the storm was getting closer and made the decision not to return to camp , i have to say , the torrential rain coupled with continuous lighting and thunder would rate as one of the most memorable experiences i have ever had in the bush in my 73 years
    Yeah we had wood and tin, not canvas over our heads but that is the best lightning I’ve ever seen

Those big gorges scare me - at least Thar hunting you can see around but slippery papa/limestone cliffs that just appear out of the bush is crazy. I’d love to know more history on how this land was broken in for farming and road/bridge access. Just got hold of the book on Ngamatea to read.

oh well,the ones you couldnt get,possibly needed thinned out anyway...IT HAPPENS ....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Forestry View Post
    Yeah we had wood and tin, not canvas over our heads but that is the best lightning I’ve ever seen

Those big gorges scare me - at least Thar hunting you can see around but slippery papa/limestone cliffs that just appear out of the bush is crazy. I’d love to know more history on how this land was broken in for farming and road/bridge access. Just got hold of the book on Ngamatea to read.
    It's a great book with a lot of the history from settlement to today.
    I have enjoyed reading about the stations I have fenced on out that way.
    The only one I really havnt fenced on was Ngmatea.
    Pretty interesting about Mangaohane been now tied up with treaty claims.
    The Spencer's won't be happy!

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

I was a little bit south of where he was as well. That storm was a doozy but when the weather broke it was well worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    It's a great book with a lot of the history from settlement to today.
    I have enjoyed reading about the stations I have fenced on out that way.
    The only one I really havnt fenced on was Ngmatea.
    Pretty interesting about Mangaohane been now tied up with treaty claims.
    The Spencer's won't be happy!

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    Is the book on Ngamatea called Ngamatea , the land & the people by Hazel Riseborough .

There have been numerous books written about Ngamatea and i guess more will be written in the future , Dave Withers currently has a book in production as a photograph record of his time on Ngamatea from the late 50s .

When we restored the Old Golden Hills Hut i had many old photos made available to me which also should be collated into book format to preserve the history of Ngamatea , the Old Golden Hills Hut visitors log book is a great read , i had a copy printed off for Dave Withers as a memory of his time over 60 years ago .

I work close by comet hut 20 min east of my work

Is the book on Ngamatea called Ngamatea , the land & the people by Hazel Riseborough .

There have been numerous books written about Ngamatea and i guess more will be written in the future , Dave Withers currently has a book in production as a photograph record of his time on Ngamatea from the late 50s .

When we restored the Old Golden Hills Hut i had many old photos made available to me which also should be collated into book format to preserve the history of Ngamatea , the Old Golden Hills Hut visitors log book is a great read , i had a copy printed off for Dave Withers as a memory of his time over 60 years ago .
    Yes this one

Name:  94EF5A8D-2252-4F73-BB23-7E3325BB8994.jpeg
Views: 326
Size:  1.77 MB

The Back Country Trust are relocating Comet to down on the river.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Great yarn Forestry, I’m still shooting the 162 AMax in one of my .284s, I’ve got two packets of the newer ELDX but am stuck with the CDS from the AMax. Are the ELDX any better or just more fashionable?

Bluffy country can be a real bitch, I too left a deer in the hills last week because of a nasty recovery. Luckily they’re still making them! :-)
    300wsm for life and Forestry like this.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Great yarn Forestry, I’m still shooting the 162 AMax in one of my .284s, I’ve got two packets of the newer ELDX but am stuck with the CDS from the AMax. Are the ELDX any better or just more fashionable?

Bluffy country can be a real bitch, I too left a deer in the hills last week because of a nasty recovery. Luckily they’re still making them! :-)
    Thanks Craigc. I genuinely think the ELDX is the best bullet around for NZ game if your rifle will shoot it accurately. I seem to remember you using the 150s anyway?. I wouldn’t have an issue shooting a stag in the shoulder at 10m with the 162s. I would imagine the CDS is pretty close out to a reasonable range with AMAX vs ELDX but haven’t checked the BCs myself