Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree36Likes
  • 30 Post By tikka
  • 5 Post By tikka
  • 1 Post By craigc

Thread: Rem’s first deer

Rem’s first deer

Been a while posting something up, too busy training up the new GWP pup for the last 4 months because it’s time to retire the old Vizsla. He got all the basic hand signals sorted so don’t need to talk to much to him and just needs more bush time. He’s done a few dozen day trips learning a lot off the old boy.
    This was his first over nighter/multi day trip and handled it like a champ not worried about fly camping in a rainy southerly. First day we spooked 4 lots of hinds with fawns the bush. The second day he barked his guts out at a stag sneaking off, spooked a couple more hind s making too much noise walking heavy footed and too much movement. Third day no rain and cloud so tried the open tops but that was a failure getting spotted moving from cover to cover, so we went bush again and had another barking incident sitting down having lunch with some hinds coming over a spur behind us only 15m.
    Next day we checked out a couple of small clearings both dogs keen come onto the clearing I could see you soon a deers arse it was a stag, Rem seen him feeding and was very relaxed because he could see the whole animal and Sig the old dog was locked up on the stag. With Rem locked up now too, Safety off and drop the bolt and bang the 300 blackout did the job again at 55m. The stag dropped down and rolled 30m downhill, with the pup still relaxed we slowly tracked down to the stag, it seemed too easy other than the previous days before.
    The tops velvet was still soft so the pup had that for his supper.

Good results for the trip stalking a 12 point stag and other deer, he handles the cold nights well, a good swimmer for river crossings,he’s under full control and only using hand signals. Just needed more bush time but he only 6 months old can’t expect too much.

Rem the GWP

Rem and Sig

Well done Meat for BBQ

Great. Where did you get Rem from? Nice pup.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Great. Where did you get Rem from? Nice pup.
    Josh James’s Ex on the West Coast. It was a hard call for what breed another soft Vizsla or a GSP and GWP. With the new dog I can go back to fly camping and or Bivvy bag.
    Tahr, Trout, Shearer and 2 others like this.

The hard work training is paying off well done. Nice stag.

Great yarn. It’s fun starting a new dog, but as you’ve probably found out, a bit frustrating at times.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Nice one, good result! I havnt bother going out over the last couple of months, time i got out again soon i suppose

Wow, great result. Got to be happy with that!

very nice!

Rem s eyes look hungry for work,good company to have around.

great looking dog...reminds me of the late champion somewhat.
    lets hope this one is the first of many and you have many happy years together,make the most of them as they fly past far too quickly,it only seems like yesterday we picked up Meg,one look in her eyes and I knew she was going to break my heart,she is slowing down now and the best she has ever been for me in the bush.
    enjoy the venison and give both dogs a pat from me please.
    75/15/10 black powder matters