Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Round 2

Round 2

3 generations on this mission, my dad, myself and my two boys.
    Object was to try and get my boys their first deer. Didn't eventuate unfortunately, deer at awkward angles and lots of fog.
    Managed 5 for the afternoon, only 1 un recovered as it decide to take a leap into a massive area of thick gorse and nettle. Kept a couple for dad and I, gave the rest to friends. Whilst my dad and youngest son went to try for some pigs I thought I would sneak back around the corner and see if the deer dad spooked was there. Sure enough one plump 3 legged hind. Pic is with much oldest, really want him to shoot it but I ended up with a stuck projectile in my 223 so had to grab the Bergara 308. Shot was very steep and didn't want him to get the old scope eye.
    Name:  20221204_103326.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  3.13 MB
    Name:  20221203_193421.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  3.70 MB
    Name:  20221203_192848.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  1.73 MB
    Name:  20221203_182006.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  5.36 MB

Awesome stuff

great memories created...the first for the lads WILL happen...the waiting will make it all the sweeter.
    MIGHT be worthwhile making up some lighter/softer loads for the .308 for future eventualities..... when the lads are happy shooting paper as the big gun doesnt boot... any deer will be in huge amount of trouble.open country like that sure helps set things up for sucess.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

We didn't shoot any of the deer in those pics, they where all good condition stags in various stages of valvet. It was just neat to watch them.

Bos
    Well done mate. Poor old deer, they love that spring growth. Pity no-one told them of the danger
    300wsm for life likes this.

That second pic a buitifull supermarket for meat.

Couple of weeks ago,i watched stags cross a fast flowing flooded river (600cu/secs)just to get to green growth.They are bloody good swimmers and not scared of flooded riversThats for sure.

Nice result, plenty of meat. Your boys first deer will come no worries.
    Shearer and 300wsm for life like this.

Nice work on gathering then sharing the venison!

What was the story with the stuck projectile in the 223? Was it from the load you decided on for your boy to shoot a deer with? Would it be a worthwhile tale to put in its own thread - often good learning/tips to be had when something goes a bit wrong.

Not sure why it got stuck. When I unchambered a round the bolt wasn't pulling back. Gave the handle a firm wack and the shell came out, projectile stayed. Came out easy enough when I got home.
    They are handloads, 73g eldm. Shot over 100rnds with that load and never had an issue. Checking the length of all the rounds, I believe it was a random bullet that I may not have seated in enough.

I'm in no rush for my kids to shoot a deer. I have explained to them that it needs to be in the right setting. Relaxed animal, time to set up properly etc.
    BSA270, Steelisreal and RUMPY like this.

Greetings All,
    A couple of light .308W loads that you may want to consider for the young hunters. 38 grains of AR2206H behind a Hornady 150 grain Interlock chronographed at 2,380 fps from a 22" barrel. Recoil was quite mild and would still expand well at reasonable ranges as a light hunting load. 32 grains of AR2206H behind the 155 grain Frontier plated projectile chronographed 1,910 fps with even milder recoil would be a low cost practise load. Boys show little respect for the cost of ammo on the range. Both of these loads shot quite well in my rifle, although a little dirty compared to full power loads. Hodgdon also lists light loads with 125 and 130 grain projectiles on their web site. Scope adjustment will be needed from a full power zero.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Thanks @grandpamac. Will definitely be looking at some lighter loads in future. Using 2208 for my 308 so will look at some 130g SP and see how I get on.

Greetings @300wsm for life,
    Hodgdons only recommends AR2206H (H4895) for loads reduced below starting loads. They don't even recommend IMR4895 having found the ADI powder worked better. 500 grams of AR2206H might be a good investment for the light loads. I found that loads down to 80% or a little less of book max worked well but going much lower wound up with smoked cases and ratty accuracy. All of my old soldiers get reduced loads of some sort.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Ruger7mm likes this.

Great little fridge setup. I've been pondering doing something similar so I'm going to steal that idea.